Weekly Ketchup: Dragonball, Hangover sequels announced

Summary

This week, Hollywood seemed to actually be listening to our usual complaints, as most of the new projects that were announced could be described as genuinely original concepts, except for a couple of sequels, both of which are for movies that aren't even out yet, and one videogame adaptation that is based upon a game that is more of a critic's favorite than just your typical dumbed down fan favorite. Back to Article

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

I don't think "Shadow of Colossus" could work.

Jacki Earle Haley as Freddy Kruger. That's some smart casting.

"War Monkeys"...hmmm. Start your Oscar predictions.

Apr 10 - 09:20 AM

collex

Alex D.B.

Dragonball: No comments till I see the movie

Nightmare on Elm Street remake: Believe it or not, but I saw the original for the first time last night (well, very early this morning would be more true to the facts) and, welll, I'm not totally opposed to the idea a remake. If nothing else, Nightmare is a movie that could benefit from modern special effects (for the dream sequences). And I found it a little bit lacking in backstory, tough my brother assured me it was covered in sequels (I have the first five right now). But why change the main character? I loved Nancy survivalist stance (and the "Home Alone" bit at the end. Pure genius)

Red Tail: Lucas just producing and pitching the story? That could be good. Lucas is a good at having ideas, but he is not very good at develloping them.

Butter: Competitive Butter Sculpting: It exists? Really, there are folks out their who do butter sculpture? Wow.

War Monkeys: A heard about this idea quite some times ago, but I never dreamed that someone in Hollywood would dare finance it. Woohoo! Let's the furry carnage begins!!!!!

Apr 10 - 09:28 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Dear Lord that picture of the Easter Bunny is almost as freaky as the Donnie Darko cover!

Apr 10 - 10:58 AM

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

I have that exact bunny costume hanging in my closet, not even kidding. Bought it was a Wal Mart manager for 25 bucks, because they had a newer one so they didnt need it for Easter anymore.

Apr 12 - 12:23 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Collex: The original 'Nightmare' had a 'Home Alone' bit!? 'Nightmare' came out 6 years before 'Home Alone' so if anything it's the other way around.

My God am I the only person alive to be born before 1990!!??

Apr 10 - 11:11 AM

collex

Alex D.B.

I was born before 1990 too! Ok, I made a mistake: you're right, Freddy was before Home Alone. Hadn't realized that. But you must admit that the booby-trap sequence (with Freddy getting hit in the balls) is really much akin to what you would eventually see in the Home Alone movies.

Apr 11 - 07:02 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Hey as bad as Born to Be a Star looks (Why would you put any of the Reno cast in a movie?) please don't lump it in with Hot Chick...anything with Rob Schneider OR Ana Faris in it is gold...both at once is beyond reproach.

Apr 10 - 11:41 AM

Zaraki

Rick V

That Easter bunny picture looks like he's about to eat some poor kid for touching his eggs.

Shadow of the Colossus, with the writer from Chun-Li... yeah. Doubt it'll be any good, hopefully PoP will be the first good game movie though, the games (the good ones from last gen) have one hell of a great story that should transition well.

Dragonball sequel... Well they already ****ed up on the first one, maybe they'll learn and do it right on the second time? Pffft. Dream on.

Jackie as Krueger, good. He'll make a great freddy.

Apr 10 - 01:34 PM

kipcanyon

kip canyon

I would be surprised if Dragon Ball even makes it over the $100million mark. I think the only way to make a succesfull DB or DBZ movie is to keep it as close the the cartoon as possible.

What ever happened to the Halo movie? That would've been a succesful video game movie.

Apr 10 - 02:08 PM

Aaron D.

Aaron Dye

Well put. The only way they could do a dragonball movie is CGI. I dream about a CGI dragonball movie coming out...but won't happen.

Apr 22 - 08:39 PM

Benjamin G.

Benjamin Grimes

Sequel planning for Dragonball and The Hangover already? Actually, that seems rather typical of Hollywood to me...

Apr 10 - 02:32 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I think The Hangover will do good, Dragonballl will bomb. So probably a sequel for The Hangover, unrealistic for Dragonball to get a sequel.

Apr 10 - 09:09 PM

ZigBallistic

marshall westbrook

Prisoners sounds like it could be really good. Not keen on a remake of Elm Street, the original is still very scary.
I remember when I used to get excited about Sandler's projects but that hasn't happened in a while, he has put out some real crap.
I Hop sounds like the people from The Santa Clause should sue for plagiarism. That costume is the Wal Mart Easter bunny btw, or at least the one I saw at my Wal Mart.
I'd like to see Shadow of the Colossus be done as a silent movie, or as close to it as possible, but it's going to suck if the writer is any indication.
I predict if there is a Dragonball sequel it will be destined for the straight to dvd market. If it does well in theaters it will just really prove that people will buy anything with that name on it, and maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.

Apr 10 - 09:12 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

ZigBallistic: Freddy, scary? I'm the guy who is still too afraid to watch a Chucky movie, but Freddy wasn't scary at all. It's a cool movie, for sure, but it's not scary. I laughed all the way trough! (But a good laugh. Not a "it's crap" laugh)

Apr 11 - 07:11 AM

ZigBallistic

marshall westbrook

Oh and ffs, get rid of that stupid video game ad on the front page, it takes like 3 min to load, and my rig is decent. I feel sorry for people with narrow bandwidth and single core processors.

Apr 10 - 09:13 PM

Armando U.

Armando Uribe

Dragon ball sequel? nooooooooo please nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Apr 10 - 09:53 PM

Trufire

Josh Hines

I fully expect Dragonball to epically fail.....which is why I watched it today X-) Here are my thoughts on it. It was a "decent" popcorn flick. You can't go in with expectations. Fanboys will be mad at them not following most of the cannon (sp?) but overall, it is still a fairly entertaining movie. It didn't take itself too seriously but you could still see the effort put forth to create a decent film. I liked how they were able to take bits from the original story and put them into the film while (imo) creating an original take on the Dragonball epic. Was it good? Not really. But I wouldn't call it bad either simply because I was entertained. I would put it about on par with the Fantastic Four movies (perhaps just slightly lower). If they do create the sequel anyway, I believe it would just be a straight to DVD release. Opening weekend I estimate it will debut at about 5-6 Mil and end with about 13-15 mil in its theatre run. I give it a 6 out of 10 :)

Btw, is it just me or does that Easter Bunny picture one of the most creepy things i've ever seen. It looks truly demented lol.

Apr 10 - 09:55 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

Apr 11 - 07:02 AM

collex

Alex D.B.

Apr 11 - 07:11 AM

FinalDestination019

Olivia Prongrer

Just to nitpick: Kyle Gallner is not the kid who has "obviously fake" ectoplasm coming out of his mouth, if you watch the movie. It was a dead kid named Jonah.

Dragonball is definitely going to bomb. It looks like crap, for one thing, and it's not opening in that many theaters.

Apr 11 - 08:10 AM

ZigBallistic

marshall westbrook

That scene where Johnny Depp gets pulled into the bed still creeps me out, and the bit with the chick in the body bag. Fright Night is a movie that scared me when I was a kid and now I laugh when I watch it.

Apr 11 - 08:17 AM

TJ R.

TJ Reilly

I won't even bother commenting on the DB movies, God knows the other fanboys are gonna go crazy over them anyway... But I absolutely need to comment on the news about Full Metal Panic! though. Zac Efron as Sousuke?! This has to be a joke... Hollywood seriously needs to just lay off and stop with the bastardization of anime.

Apr 11 - 10:36 AM

Ken l.

Ken lastname

Yes, Zac Efron as a Middle Eastern guerrilla fighter.

Wonderful idea Hollywood.

Apr 21 - 02:01 AM

kevin c.

kevin carty

The fanboys don't want to see drabonball so I don't know wth u talking bout. I really don't want nothing to do with efron. Ever since speed racer failed ... man they don't want to invest in anime live action which is abundantly clear in dbe. Worst movie of the year. An insult to the fans I'll be damned if I was a kid growing up on the same recycled bull that they made in dbe not fun not original shows how foolish and disconnected hollywood is.

Apr 11 - 12:55 PM

CK_Zenit

Carlos Cano

Dragonball.... no comment, and I've seen the movie, well maybe a comment... the movie sucked, horrible story, music, everything, they should let the Wachowski brothers do the job. They actually like anime, I think they are the best ones to do it. "Speed Racer" wasn't soo bad, and the fights in "The Matrix" were actually pretty awesome, Justin and james were fine as Goku and Piccolo, maybe even Emmy, but Roshi and Yamcha NOOOOO, they better re-cast and give this job to someone else

Apr 11 - 05:23 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel