Movies Like Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight

40% Intruders: Season 1
90% Outlander: Season 1

Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight Reviews

May 11, 2014
It only score this for nostalgia's sake.
January 7, 2014
This is among the worst animation I have ever seen. It's confusing with both cell drawings and 3D on the screen at the same time. As far as story, it is quite boring and contains none of the excitement provided by the book.
January 3, 2014
Bad animation, poor dialogue, descent story. Worth the watch if you are very bored and a fantasy fan, but you might aswell go with a syfy film instead.
September 3, 2012
A true to book showing of a classic heroic tale. The CG is more of a distraction than a help. If you like fantasy or the books themselves, give this a shot.
December 13, 2011
its unintentional hilarity is its sole redeeming value - if you like D&D, I'd stay away, or you might end up trying to swallow one of your 20-sided dies to end the pain; writing and animation are particularly bad, I like to imagine Chris Paolini handled both
April 18, 2012
Poor animation (some computer generated, some drawn) with an average story. Lots of potential as the Dragonlance book series are must reads if you like fantasy. Avoid.
April 8, 2012
not a bad dragon and magic story
March 4, 2012
For what it was, this film could have been a lot worse. The cast was good, but the animation was just god awful.
May 22, 2007
The books are absolutely awesome! I really hope they don't screw it up...

Update:

They really screwed this thing up, BADLY... I didn't mind the animation to much. It sucked but I was still able to look past it, at least somewhat, and, being a fan of the books, hope that the story at least complimented the books and it did NOT!! When I first heard of the movie I was really hoping that what with the movie adaptions of all the other fantasy novels, that they've been doing for the past several years, that they would turn this into something at least decent. Thinking that it was going to be live action, I held my breath all for nothing.

When I heard that it was animation I knew that it was going to be a massive disappointment but, even then there was still some very small hope... They deviated from the original storyline, from the books themselves, so much that I just don't have the will power to sit here and list them all...

What a horrible joke!
Face of Canada
October 5, 2009
This looks like it was thrown together in a weekend. Poor quality all around, which I guess isn't a surprise, but still disappoints.
Alex R.
January 24, 2010
January 24th. When the sun went down on a sunday night, there I was with a lot to do on my hands, but a will to procrastinate.

Wandering through the depths of YouTube, I have found out that there?s been a Dragonlance animation movie out since 2007. I couldn?t resist the impulse. On I went to find a torrent of it, with little luck, but my good lord Google came upon me with this finding from Mega Upload, and on I went to download.

Hereby I feel the need for a good mention towards the Mega Upload crew. The download went blazing fast at all the speed my 6MB cable can hanlde, and in 30 minutes I had the movie in my hands.

Ok, enough with the Rorschach thing, I promise lol.

I was really excited about watching a movie made from the great first Dragonlance trilogy, but man, what a deception!

First thing worth mention is the awesomely crappy job the 20-name 3D animators / modelers team pulled off. The draconians look like they?ve come out of 1996 3D game, and the dragons look plastic. The animations are completely flawed and the rendering with little to no shadowing at all. They?ve used this lame excuse of a 3D production for the entire introduction to the movie, some scenarios, AND all draconians and dragons. Did I mention it sucks yet? Because it totally does.

Next, the voice acting. Have you ever seen a video game with bad, overly done voice acting? It?s the same feeling you get from the Dragonlance animation. The acting is either completely empty on acting, or completely overdone. The voices don?t match the characters all too well, except for maybe Tasslehoff and Flint, but even those two suffer from the overacting.

Then you?ve got the 2D character animations. The frame rate is so low it had myself looking for performance problems in my computer, as most of the time it seems like the movie is doing frame skipping. And no, it wasn?t my computer AT ALL. This is a simple Xvid encoded file with mp3 audio, even hardware DVD players can handle it just fine.

As a finishing touch, they?ve cut the story short in all good moments from the book, from the escape from Solace, to the visit to the black dragon, it?s all butchered, cut, and thrown together in what feels absolutely shallow. They also butchered the story itself, having Goldmoon kill the black dragon instead of finding the temple of Mishakal, and becoming a priest out of nowhere. She doesn?t save Riverwind either, she ends up saving Tanis from death.

Did I mention they give you in the greatest finding about the whole story, that Fizban is Paladine, by the end of the first book? And also completely out of nowhere!

Unfortunately this was one project with a huge potential, since the book is great, but that turned out into the same piece of shit quality standard of the other D&D franchise movies. I just hope they don?t do this to Icewind Dale anytime soon.
Todd L.
January 23, 2010
I screened this movie tonight for the first time. I would admit that reviews pushed me away from watching it until now. I decided to after reading the last trilogy "Lost Chronicles" over the past 2 weeks. I'll front by saying I have read the original 2 Dragonlance trilogies at least 5 times over the years, about once every 5 years. I have read dozens of the other better books based on them over the years. Hell, I played the original games back on my C64 back in the day. So lets get to the movie. I expected really bad things from it and I'll simply say that I appreciate the fact that the film was made period. Did it have the best graphics... no.. but not as bad as I was expecting. You know what, the story was done as best it could be done in an hour and a half. I enjoyed it and felt like I was back home with my old friends. I sure wish it could be done better... AKA Lord of the Rings like. Maybe it will some day. I do believe Dragonlance is a true sleeper/cult classic... Hell I actually have friends who named children after people in them (how many "Frodo's" do you see out there? Every online RPG you play is packed full of Raistlins to this day. I think this movie is a must watch for true fans and they can get over the obvious issues with the cartoon to enjoy it. Thats why I give it a 60%, I will watch it again in another 5 years right after I read the books a 6th time.
February 26, 2007
This should be awesome
November 19, 2009
Shitty, second rate animation, a very dervivative storyline, and sluggish in some parts, but not terrible, The impressive voice cast do alot here, and it helps.
hislittleluvrose
October 16, 2009
It didn't even come close to the books so it was really disappointing but as far as a movie goes it was good.
August 22, 2007
Very disappointing. The mix of the two different animations is terrible. Story was pretty bang on though, but the bad animation overshadowed it.
frstrat
August 15, 2009
Aside from a pure nostalgia rush (I actually remembered playing the module) this animated adaptation from a fun book was terrible. A great cast was assembled but the writing and animation were so bad that it feels like a satire of a Saturday morning cartoon from the 80's. The flat looking characters engaging in graphic on screen violence makes the whole thing feeling a D&D version of Sealab 2021. Do yourself a favor, if you are tempted to rent this, just go find your old copy of the book. Then you won't be disappointed.
July 11, 2009
Not sure how this movie was...but the book was awesome"
skactopus
skactopus

March 27, 2007
A film that has been long awaited for Dragonlance fans. Maybe fans could have waited a little bit longer.For the fantasy genre, the story is definitely there. It also moves at a really quick pace with a bunch of fade-ins and outs. This works well because it keeps things fresh by moving the characters from setting to setting without leaving them in one place for too long. The bad part about this is that there isn't enough explanation and backgrounds for characters, places, etc. While the film is still easy to pick up and follow, the lack of depth makes the film that much less interesting. Still, the essence of the story is there.One of the bigger disappointing features of this film is in the visual department. It's not that it is horribly drawn, but the fact that is seems outdated for its time. It truly is a letdown. There are a few aspects of the film that are in CG, like the dragons and draconians, which is nice, but in the end there is still room for improvement. As far as character design goes, it is done quite nicely.Probably the best part of this film is the voice-over work and it is not just because there are big names involved. The voices actually fit the characters. Kiefer Sutherland, Lucy Lawless, and even Michelle Trachtenberg are all nice selections for their parts. The sound effects aren't too bad either. A few of Raistlin's spells have a nice ring to them.This may not be the film that fans have been waiting for, but it still is something. If you are a fan of the book, then feel free to watch this at least once. It isn't no Lord of the Rings budget wise, but it isn't no Blood of the Samurai either, budget wise. If you have never seen Blood of the Samurai, consider yourself lucky.
Saladin208
June 5, 2009
Oh, boy. I'm a Dragonlance nut and...yeah. Kiefer Sutherland was well cast! Does a great Raistlin.