Drawing Restraint 9 Reviews

September 24, 2008
Pretty pictures at 24fps. And Ronit hates it! All you could want in a movie except plot and characterization.
April 7, 2012
This film is as self-absorbed and annoying as it is fascinating and visually tasteful. If you like pretentious new age art, this film is for you.
August 27, 2006
Oh God.

I LOVE Bjork. There is NOTHING she has done that I have not loved.

Except this movie.

I would say, easily, this is the worst movie I've seen in a year-- probably several. AND, I watch about 10 movies a week at home where I work.

This movie, after the first 10 minutes, became the most TEDIOUS, BORING thing I've made myself suffer through imaginable, save waiting at the Dentist's office.

The movie was pretentious, meaningless, and astoundingly self-indulgent.

AVOID at all costs.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

It's so bad, its not even funny bad. Just TEDIOUS Bad.
½ May 8, 2006
What can one say? Matthew Barney is either a genius or a fraud. I tend to lie on the genius side, but nevertheless the newest motion art piece of his is a commanding piece. I find it very strange that after the Cremaster Cycle and this film, people keep trying to apply a traditional narrative structure to his films, and dismiss them for lacking one. Barney is a visual artist, not a filmmaker. Film is just another medium for him. Is there a plot? No, not really. Is it pretentious? Perhaps, but it is fucking beautiful to watch. Goergeous image after gorgeous image. I don't know what it means and I don't care. I'm just glad it was made.

Instead of expecting a movie, people ought to view as a trip to an art museum. An art museum in a dark theatre, projected on the wall.
½ April 22, 2006
Matthew Barney and Bjork are a pretty damn eccentric couple, and it shows in their art. More importantly they are good at what they do. Each of them has produced some amazing art, but this collaborative project is a major failure. Drawing Restraint 9 is a self indulgent, cumbersome film. As a work it has some captivating elements and moments, but it is poorly fit for the screen. It could run at half its length and be much better. The "story" is of two strangers (Barney and Bjork) that meet on a Japanese whaling ship, the Nisshin Maru. They engage in traditional, Japanese cultural ceremonies before starting a strange, violent, and sexual ceremony of their own. A lot of the interactions between Barney and Bjork are interesting, but way too much screen time is lost on footage of the Nisshin Maru out at sea, and its workers. I'm at a loss for many supposed themes Barney says influence Drawing Restraint 9 as a film. They are more fully realized in his sculpture which is the backbone that holds this all together. But underneath this, there is a visceral, bizarre love story about contridictions that is occasionally fulfilling.
½ April 9, 2006
[FONT=Times New Roman]
One would think that maybe a film with one of the more outlandish pop stars might actually turn out to be good. However, Bjork and her screeching really put me off. The visuals of this film might be "stunning", but the dialogue and the acting and the musical complement makes me want to vomit all over myself. I would never spend my money watching this piece of garbage and I predict that well, it really is not going to go anywhere. What a waste of money, from my pocket and to make it.