Dreadnaught Reviews

½ January 10, 2007
Yuen Biao is brilliant in this martial art film. He's a coward that has the bad luck of being chased by a psycho that kills everyone who wears bells. As a laundry boy, he uses a method of kung fu to wash clothes, yet he doesn't know how to apply it on people. Highly recommended movie!
July 30, 2012
Dreadnaught may not satisfy hardcore kung fu fans with there not being as many fight scenes as you'd expect but the film makes up for it with loads of uniquely glorious action scenes such as the lion dance scene and the "laundry kung fu" scenes. There are still lots of fantastic fight scenes featuring Yuen Woo Ping's direction in top form. The typical lame humor and dated qualities are somewhat tolerable with it not being as horrific as some other films of the era and with there even being one or two fairly humorous moments. Overall, Dreadnaught is a hugely enjoyable film with great unique action scenes .
½ June 2, 2008
Dreadnaught features Yuen Woo Ping's extreme talent for choreography and action direction. Fan's of any of his other work will no doubt be very pleased to sit through this oddly titled film. Also, fans of Yuen Biao (that's me), will also be very happy to pick this one up, (although, like "Circus Kids" his role in the film could be argued as criminally underused).

Again, set in Ming Dynasty China, this film sees the plight of Mousy (Biao), who happens to be a very shy, in-confident, and even cowardly laundry worker. His nature is revealed when we witness him trying to collect laundry debts from various townspeople - they push him around and give him nothing.

All the while, an evil and eccentric killer "White Tiger" takes pleasure in terrorising anyone who happens to be around, and, unfortunately for Mousy, he seems to be high on Tiger's list. But, again, like most Kung Fu films, it's not so much what is done, but rather how they do it. Thankfully, Dreadnaught does well in it's direction and choreography, but it does not excel.

Credits list Biao as the star, but I believe Leung Ka-Yan (who is Mousy's older brother in the film) deserves equal billing - they certainly have equal screen-time. "Foon", played by Ka-Yan, is a more well-rounded martial artist, and a student of the legendary Wong Fei Hung (played brilliantly and hilariously by Kwan Tak-Hing a la "Magnificent Butcher). The scene involving a rather violent tailor is worth the sitting alone.

Dreadnaught seems more of an unfocused film as compared to Woo Ping's other work(s). "Drunken Master" for example had a clear, snappy and balanced screenplay. We knew where we were supposed to be at in terms of all the plot elements. Dreadnaught fails on these grounds, and it's action sequences do not mesh pleasurably with the dialog as they do in Drunken Master.

I was expecting a "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" for Yuen Biao, but rather, I see this film as three main action sequences starring various cast, tied together with the broad characterisation of Mr. White Tiger. It is by far one of the better Kung Fu films out there, but I'm afraid Yuen Woo Ping's other works do the same thing but better.