97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Dreamcatcher Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

September 9, 2011
Gary 'Jonesy' Jones: I'm filing that in the "Who Gives A Shit" section of my Memory Warehouse.

"Evil Slips Through"

For me, Dreamcatcher is one of the worst film experiences I have ever had. This movie is disappointing and as close to unwatchable as I have seen. That quote above from one of the characters fits my final thoughts on this movie perfectly. Not only is this movie horribly acted, but it's a disgrace to Stephen King. It is the worst King adaptation I have seen. Most of the time King adaptions are at worst, watchable because of King's story. Here, Lawrance Kasdandirects a King adaption that crashes and burns and ends up being one of the more disappointing movies I have ever seen.

I don't know if a worse cast could have been chosen for this movie. Jason Lee? Are you fucking kidding me? The only place he belongs is in a Kevin Smith film and other than that, I can't stand the sight of the guy. I mean have you watched My Name is Earl? Jesus Christ! Then let's add Donnie Wahlberg, Thomas Jane and Damian Lewis to top off this shit fest. The acting, in my opinion, couldn't have gotten much worse. Even actors like Timothy Olyphant and Morgan Freeman are extremely bad.

Although it's hard to pinpoint the worst thing about this movie; I'd have to say it would be the fact that there is a lot of talent here. Kasdan is a decent director and has a film like Body Heat to his credit. The movie has one of the best actors of the past 30 years in Morgan Freeman. Yet this movie is a huge pile of shit; a complete disaster on every level.
3niR
3niR

February 15, 2010
Sometimes it looked awesome, sometimes it looked crap. That's what it was. 50-50. You may or may not like it. I thought it was okay. I disliked when they killed two of them.
Jens S

June 13, 2006
It's easy to rip this Stephen King adaption apart for being so undecided between genres and for having fun with its cheesiness. On the other hand, the film is easily a guilty pleasure if you buy into the premise. While the movie is undecided between horror, sci-fi and mystery thriller it has the usual King trademarks of childhood friends, alien monsters with teeth and the unseen enemy. The four leading men are well picked, only Freeman feels a little off as crazy alien hunter military man. Even if silly, the film is far from boring and flows really well, making for some pretty exciting entertainment with a couple of wonderfully creepy and disgusting scenes. If you just let it.
Kylie B

March 28, 2007
I don't think I can adequately express how much I disliked this film. Also, why did the alien decide to communicate in a fake British accent?
Conner R

January 23, 2010
I loved this, it was a great translation of Stephen King's novel and in many ways better. The cast is amazing, I don't think there was an untalented person in the bunch. All the characters are fun and different, but they really got the four best friends down 100%. I think the alien invasion was extremely well done and actually very spooky. It's a great modern campfire story.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

September 3, 2007
Brilliant Movie from Stephen Kings Factory of fanstasy.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 3, 2009
I can sum this one up in just two words: "Ass Worms"
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
A very stupid King adaptation but I quite liked it, in a guilty pleasure sort of way. Always keep the toilet seat down!!
Jason O

September 11, 2009
Oh man I loved this movie! Should be discussed a lot more than it is.
Cassandra M

July 27, 2009
As Stephen King fans should probably know, there are a lot of things in Stephen Kings books that make sense only where they are - that is, in Stephen King books. Translating them to film is usually a bad idea, as many filmmakers who had adapted King's books before probably figured out. But along comes Lawrence Kasdan, a talented and acclaimed veteran director, who, with the aid of a no less acclaimed screenwriter William Goldman, decides while writing a script for Dreamcathcer that it would be better to bring along all the trademark King's weird goings-on - and voila! We have a movie filled with telepathy, butt-ripping aliens, crazy military types keen on killing everyone, telephone-guns, indian symbols and even a lot of CGI thrown in for a good measure. Of course, it all fails - but oh how gloriously! I'll go as far as to state that Dreamcatcher is absolutely the best unintentional B-movie trashfest in years! It was totally amusing that such a bunch of undoubtedly talented people (Morgan Freeman, Tom Sizemore, Thomas Jane, besides aforementioned Kasdan & Goldman) were able to make this film without a single smirk - while the material is pure trash'n'cheese. That was the whole beauty of it, for me, at least - the level of money, work and talent that went into creating this film. I would like to personally thank all the people involved with Dreamcathcer - they made my year! Thank you, Lawrence Kasdan! Thank you, William Goldman! Thank you, Morgan Freeman - your eyebrows rocked! And most of all, thank you, Jason Lee - the bathroom scene involving Beaver and an alien worm under the toilet lid is pure classic!
vieras e

June 12, 2009
An odd mishmash of kind of interesting as well as rather stupid elements.

Also, to quote Rober Ebert: "The movie [has] too many farts for a movie that keeps insisting, with mounting implausibility, that it is intended to be good."
Ken S

March 26, 2007
Holy shit, what happened? I mean this movie is trying to be ten different things at once. With the talent attached, I just can't imagine anyone thinking this was a good idea.
Rachel F

December 30, 2008
My favorite Stephen King movie. Creepy as hell, but I loved it.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

September 15, 2008
I keep trying to find the ironic value in this mess, but all i see is just a miss-mash of The Thing and a dozen of half-assed scfi/fi cliches glued together.
Dean !

June 3, 2007
A typical Stephen King film, very odd at times. Wouldn't class it quite as a horror has certain elements of Stand by me and the Tommy Knockers in it. Overall pretty good.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 28, 2008
Cool psychological alien movie. Friends on a camping trip discover that the town they're vacationing in, is being plagued in an unusual fashion by parasitic aliens from outer space.
Alexander W

June 22, 2008
Stephen Kings novel to the bigscreen (depending on what size tv you have of course) its good, and pretty hard to follow.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 10, 2007
Was this a movie or an elaborate April fools joke? I couldn't really tell. So many things went haywire here that I'm not even gonna go into the trouble of bringing it up. All I can say is: if there's one movie that's bound to even give Stephen King himself the creeps at night, it's undoubtedly this one. Because altough it fails miserably as a horror movie, it still manages to be scary. But for all the wrong reasons.
Al S

February 2, 2007
A nightmarish vision. A horror masterpiece. A chilling, smart, funny and relentlessly exciting ride into the mind of terror. A great movie. Great special effects. A great cast of first-rate talents. A actors-director that brings out the best in what he does. This film does what John Carpenters The Thing did back in the 80's. It chills you right to the bone. This film knows how to entertain.
_kelly .