• NC-17, 1 hr. 55 min.

—— Jonah From Tonga: Season 1
86% The Knick: Season 1

The Dreamers Reviews

August 15, 2014
A pointless piece of pretentious pablum meant to be thought provoking and taboo. The only bright spot in this movie is Eva Green walking about in nothing. Even the sex scenes, which are not erotic and I don't feel should have garnered the NC-17 rating, are overblown. This movie has no plot and explores no real concepts. Garbage.
R. Jayakrishnan
August 3, 2014
73%
Saw this on 2/8/14
A lot of things can make a film good and mentioning a few of them isn't justifiable. But they are not what makes a film great. For a film to be great, it should have a great ending, it could be a happy one or a tragic one, but it must be good. There are many reasons that make The Dreamers a good film, for example the love for the vintage films from the characters, the gratuitous nude scenes, which I won't forget for long. But it lacks the one thing that could make it a great film and you know what that is now. I hate films that simply end without producing a convincing ending, films that show just a tiny spectrum of the life of a few people and all. Dreamers could have ended well.
July 18, 2014
A nostalgic love-letter to Paris, 1968.
July 8, 2014
It's crazy, it's romantic towards revolution, it's full of sex, and it's completely, absurdly erotic all at the hopes of being a powerful drama. It's controversial. It's pure Bertolucci, echoing his passions that had consumed him back when he made his 1972 romance "Last Tango in Paris", which was also a victim to controversy (though I would find it hard to consider it as a victim, but more or less a friend to it). Above all, this is a film about us. The film buffs. We are represented by this film. We are the main character going through this world of romanticism in France. If you love film, if you love cinema, you'll find something in this film
June 10, 2014
innocence of adolescence... misdirected romanticism and a wasted generation ... loved it...
simon  t.
June 10, 2014
Ambitious, visionary, ... In other words, everything you can expect from a Bertolucci. His best film.
May 28, 2014
I hate it. I hate that I ever expected it to be great. I hate that it actually has some very witty conversations, great soundtrack and an interesting historical background. That's why I hate it even more to see all those good things goes to waste because this movie just lacks the most crucial thing of all: the glue, the bond, the fcking connection to make sense of a whole. It's trying to be too much of everything but itself. And don't even make me start on the ridiculously amount of tits and dicks on screen. It's only natural, but c'mon, their faces are worth watching too you know. Seriously, 2 hours of grossing me out with literal fap sounds and period blood. I'd rather watch that on the discovery channel, so no thanks, stop shoving that in my face. Gosh.. It feels like the movie never ends. It just keeps going and going, and I was so bored to a point that I wished to see everyone dead, if somebody just kill anybody in that movie, it'd be great. Had I known that this movie is about the creepier twins than those from the Lannisters, I would have saved two hours of my life from getting totally ruined.
May 6, 2014
Dear Eva Green, what the hell were you made from?!
Andrew Targaryen
March 24, 2014
Extremely erotic yet strangely intriguing, The Dreamers is a beautiful atmospheric drama with three great lead performances, fantastic direction from Bertolucci, and mostly effective examinations of sex, film, and politics.
December 5, 2009
An engaging story about 2 French twin teens and an american the same age who's to big passions are love and movies. There is not a big point to this film but it is fun to watch. Part of that is Eva Green looks spectacular in a movie that definitely earns its NC-17 rating. The best parts where when the reenacting scenes from new movies at the time that are old movies now and arguing weather Keaton was a better filmmaker then Chaplin. Some disturbing brother sister closeness but maybe part of is is cultural.
Matt H.
March 7, 2014
This movie is just beautiful, and it shines bright with all the colors and attractive Paris backdrop. Not much goes on, in terms of story other than sex and lots of nudity, but viewers can forget about that, since the movie is mesmerizingly shot an masterfully directed.
ChGeor9
February 28, 2014
Not really my type of movie. Could never really have any feelings for the persons involved.
February 19, 2014
Brilliant! A great romantic story against a background of the rise of a counterculture of the late1960s combined with the sexual revolution that was also taking place.
Lee P.
February 2, 2014
sexy, romantic, smart, beautiful
January 18, 2014
I loved the references of the classic movies. It's graphical, beautiful & amazing actors.
December 9, 2013
Bertolucci's best since Last Tango.
January 6, 2014
This was really something else.
dharmalogos
December 30, 2013
One of my all time favorite films. It introduced me to the gorgeous actress Eva Green, French counterculture, and New Wave cinema. This film gave me the education I needed to become a cinefile. I have watched this about a dozen times, and it never loses its power.
Joey S

December 27, 2013
Although it's far from perfect, The Dreamers is edgy and fast-paced enough to work well as an enthrallingly unusual 1960s period piece and a heartfelt love letter to film.
October 27, 2013
hate the ending... i dont want it to end