Dreamgirls Reviews

July 27, 2015
Not a great film as many would have you believe. But, it is entertaining. So glad that Eddie Murphy lost the Oscar for his performance. He did not deserve it, especially since his dramatic moments are down offscreen.
June 22, 2015
The on-screen adaptation of "Dreamgirls" possesses the same kind of energy like other on-screen-adapted musicals, focusing on how well it was handled, written and, at its own soul, performed. It seems in this particular musical drama is that the performances of the finely-tuned musical numbers equally share a spotlight as they were just electrifying. Thanks to the excellent cast that'd done some contributions to the film's soul while getting into tone and performing and singing with energy and nice rhythm, and representing some nice aspects of the writing. So combining all that was done, this film adaptation was very well-handled and typically well done. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
June 14, 2015
This musical is a fictionalized account of the Motown singing sensation "The Supremes," based on the Tony-winning Broadway musical by Henry Krieger and Tom Eyen. Written and directed by Bill Condon, it features a conventional showbiz rags-to-riches formula filmed with a lot of flashy, empty style. After a promising start, the energy begins to dip halfway through and the movie never recovers, as the standard backstage drama can't sustain our interest. But it is thrilling to see a big musical with a largely black cast who are allowed to shine. Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Hudson, and Anika Noni Rose are the singing trio; Eddie Murphy is a James Brown-type singer; and Jamie Foxx is the ruthless Berry Gordy-type executive. Knowles is bland but efficient. Murphy is affectingly restrained and stays in character. As the lead singer cut-off from stardom by her more photogenic co-stars, Hudson gives a joyous, emotionally charged debut performance that is deserving of a standing ovation. Her rendition of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" has the physicality that is worthy of comparison to Aretha Franklin. The musical numbers though are disappointingly indistinguishable and largely forgettable. Hudson won the Oscar as Best Supporting Actress. The film also won for Sound Mixing. Songs include: "Cadillac Car," "Love You, I Do," "I Am Changing," "One Night Only," and "Dreamgirls." With Danny Glover and Keith Robinson.
½ April 13, 2015
The Supremes deserve a lot better.

Dreamgirls is largely based on the story of The Supremes, the ground-breaking Motown group. However, the movie does them no justice. All the music in the movie was written especially for the movie. So you don't have any recognisable 60s songs. Plus, the songs are quite dull and don't really capture the sound of the 60s or of Motown.

Throw in a rather linear script and unimaginative direction and the movie is nothing special. Plus, in a movie filled with musical performances, the director has random music-instead-of-acting scenes, like in a musical. It just seemed like overkill and totally unnecessary.

Decent performances though. Eddie Murphy got a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination and Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Not sure she deserved it though - she was good, but not THAT good. Then again, there wasn't much competition in that category in 2007.
April 5, 2015
Dreamgirls aurait pu être un très bon musical si seulement ils avaient trouvé de bons acteurs pour remplacer Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson et Jamie Foxx. Dans des rôles charnières, ils sont absolument insupportables, constamment dans le surjeu, surtout dans les numéros musicaux. Heureusement, il y a autour d'eux les excellents Eddie Murphy et Danny Glover sans oublier quelques caméos sympathiques comme John Lithgow ou Loretta Devine. Les numéros musicaux alternent aussi le bon et le moins bon, tout en étant trop nombreux et répétitifs. C'est vraiment dommage dans la mesure où Bill Condon se débrouille plutôt bien à la réalisation, ni trop clinquante, ni trop fade.
October 31, 2012
The performances, both in acting and music, are phenomenal and make this movie worth watching.
½ October 11, 2009
Only one or 2 memorable songs which is not enough for a musical. I am a fan of 60's music but whoever wrote these didn't really capture them, perhaps they should have gotten some of the right to some of the originals. There are some good singing and acting performances. The story moves as quickly as the face paced musical numbers as the forward momentum is non stop. It also sutbly changes the costumes and hairstyles to match the time without drawing to much attention to it.
½ May 8, 2007
I'm a fan of Broadway musicals, and I'm looking forward to this film adaptation.
April 8, 2014
With such stunning and magnetic performances from Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson that the film slightly falters when neither is on screen, Dreamgirls is a stellar, powerful and delightful musical journey through a fantastic story. The musical performances are fantastic even if they might feel mistimed or over the top once in a while.
½ January 2, 2015
I have to say, first of all, I didn't know what I was letting myself in for here. I expected a biopic of one of the motown girl groups. Unfortunately it wasn't that. I was disappointed to not recognise any names as the realisation hit me that this was fictional. I began to wonder if it was worth watching but gave it time. There was a lot of music in the film, not good music either, but as it was a film about singers I lived with it until the moment struck about 45 minutes in when the cast started singing their lines, in a Jesus Christ Superstar kind of way. The warbling began to get unbearable as the familiar cast of other R&B films exchanged howls to an indinstinct drum and brass backdrop. At exactly 1 hour and 3 minutes my common sense kicked in and I turned it off to spare myself the remaining horrors in store. I was conned into watching it for an hour. The film makers must have known that they can't turn the dialogue into song too early otherwise the musically sensitive of us viewers would turn it off too early. So they drag you in to what seems like a normal music film then, just when you might think that you've watched too much to give up now, they pull out the musical terror. Spare yourselves, don't watch it.
½ December 21, 2014
So I came for the songs and staid for the songs :P

Favorite Scene: Hudson singing and I'm teling you.
½ December 17, 2014
Less energetic than it is fast; there are so many cuts we don't get much time to appreciate the talent of the actors on the screen. The performances are excellent and the songs are catchy. Worthy of praise though missing a little more heart - it seems to tell the story more than it does live it, except in some scenes where Hudson and Beyonce and Eddie Murphy steal the show.
November 24, 2014
4th time i seen this i think , only this time the singing of the conversations did get a bit on my nerves , and not all the songs off the girls were nice , a big feather for Eddie Murphy ...great acting and singing !!! SOMDVD
October 28, 2014
If you hate broadway, people singing when they should be speaking, externalized exaggerated singing completely out of the epoch it should represent, you can still consider Dreamgirls a movie worth to see. Eddie Murphy in a perfect character and that exquisitely long long long scene with Jennifer Hudson.
October 27, 2014
"Dreamgirls" is an interesting musical, incredibly well acted (special mention to Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson) and with a hypnotising cinematography. But even if some songs are good some others are bearly ridiculous.
½ September 21, 2014
While Dreamgirls delivered on sparkle, spectacle, and musical talents, I kept looking for something dynamic or original and didn't find it.
August 27, 2014
Jennifer Hudson was dynamite.
September 22, 2013
Dreamgirls is surprisingly interesting and fun, even if you have no interest in the subject.
½ May 21, 2009
A lot of singing, but great movie. 8/10. Ms. Hudson is great!
½ May 30, 2014
I remember seeing it on the great white way when it first opened and figured it would be a great success on celluloid. Then time passed and there came a time when I thought the chance of it being filmed were slim to none. Therefore I'm as pleased as punch that not did it finally get there, but in Bill Condon it found a director who knew what he was doing. Fabulous.