Total Recall: David Morse's Best Movies

Summary

He may not be a household name, but David Morse is one of America's most recognizable actors, thanks to a 30-year career that has taken him from the stage (including an Obie-winning performance in How I Learned to Drive) to the TV screen (where his résumé includes a six-year run on St. Elsewhere) and more than 40 films. This weekend, Morse will appear as Nicolas Cage's shotgun-toting buddy in Drive Angry, which naturally got us thinking about the many highlights in one of Hollywood's preeminent "that guy" filmographies. From supporting roles to starring turns, here's the best of David Morse!

Back to Article

Comments

Billdave

william dykes

The Green Mile is a sort of acid test of tolerance for cliche and sentimentality. It, like Shawshank Redemption which came from the same selection of novellas, is a very well made movie that relies on sentimental, borderline offensive stereotypes and plot situations, has hokey magic and just-add-teardrops miracles. If you have a taste for that sort of thing, you can love these movies, if you are tough-minded or hold literary standards for the very non-literary medium of film, you gotta hate em. I hate em, but respect that there are plenty of reasons not to.

Feb 24 - 01:09 PM

Billdave

william dykes

Whoops, not from the same selection (Which had the source material for Apt Pupil and Stand by Me) but from the same author.

Feb 24 - 01:14 PM

Billdave

william dykes

Feb 24 - 01:14 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I would chose The Greatest Show on Earth for worst film to win best picture.

But thats just me.

Feb 24 - 02:07 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Nice AV.

Feb 24 - 02:08 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

OMG The Long Kiss Goodnight is one of my favorites!! Disturbia & The Green Mile were also amazing.

Feb 24 - 03:57 PM

Simplifried

Gary Davis

I always think of Green Mile as being similar to Ron Howard's Cocoon. Both were adult fantasies with themes of redemption and, for me, both were enormously entertaining. Green Mile had four nominations while Cocoon won Don Ameche a best supporting actor award and won the Visual Effects award. Cynics who are incapable of wrapping themselves into a story that features fantasy are unfortunate. It excludes a long list of great films. I do not think that cynicism can be confused with "literary standards" which was worth a good laugh when I read it. "xactlyme" is xactlyright - "The Crossing Guard" is perfection, and both Morse and Nicholson perfected their respective roles. 12 Monkeys and Hurt Locker, both favorites of mine, are evidence of Morse's ability to add incredible grace to a film with diminutive roles. He is 110% thespian and I was very pleased to see this RT feature on his work.

Feb 24 - 05:21 PM

Xori

Xori .

I can't believe The Green Mile got only 78% fresh!

Feb 24 - 05:22 PM

Simplifried

Gary Davis

Feb 24 - 05:53 PM

Simplifried

Gary Davis

Feb 24 - 05:53 PM

Chris A.

Chris Akley

I like this guy--he makes everything he is in better. His voice is powerful yet wise. I put him in the same category as Michael Rooker, and Michael Biehn...great character actors that a lot of the time steal the show from the leads.

Feb 24 - 08:09 PM

Jhon E.

Jhon Evans

yeah it happens to qite a few actors, they have a highest rated film where they just feature

Feb 25 - 07:10 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus