—— Transcendence Apr 18

four stars!!
Clintus M.
Clintus M.

March 28, 2013
"Give me one good reason I shouldn't shoot you in the face." "I'm Driving." So goes the dialogue in this damn fine entertaining movie. Drive Angry is completely over the top, one of the few newer Nicholas Cage films I like. He's at his dead-pan best here as an escapee from hell. This is a ramapge of redemption, a sweet and salty southern receipe made delicious by its glorious excess.

If you liked Ghost Rider, which I didn't, this is a lot better. Its a hellacious beat-down (pun intended). Amber Heard is too sexy to be believed and a complete bad-ass to boot. I also love the way Fichter's and Cage's characters interact. I'm not sure the original John Milton would approve of the hell-on-earth story, but its worth the price of admission.

How can anycritic claim this film is tedious? Its ridiculous and absurd yet entertaining as neo-grindhouse is intended.
Anthony L

March 19, 2013
Remember when Nicolas Cage used to be in good films? No, me neither. Did they really think that what his character really needed was a stupid hair cut, would that really improve the film? There isn't as much driving in Drive Angry as I'd expected, I certainly wasn't expecting the bastard child of Ghost Rider and Constantine though. I quite liked William Fichtner's character, even though it's been done before many times. It's trash basically, sure it never claims to be anything more than that but this really is late night channel five bargain bin garbage. Don't get me started on the CGI truck either...
deano
deano

May 4, 2010
What a highly action I ever seen on the road and the plot involving it's hero breaking out of hell. Clearly inspired by the Grindhouse aesthetics of Machete and Planet Terror, Drive Angry offers over the top action that's complemented by an over the top performance from Nicholas Cage (is there any other kind nowadays?). Amber Heard does a good performance as Cage's young and good 'bitch' partner. Thank goodness for William Fichtner. One of the Hollywood's best supporting actors, here his off-kilter, Walken-esque lines and ironic detachment are electric.
When he's on screen as the Devil's right-hand man, Drive Angry hits the gas and nails the tone it always should have. Quick, give Fichtner his own vehicle.
cosmo313
cosmo313

November 2, 2010
I rather kinda like this growing crop of grindhouse style exploitation homages and modern takes that have been getting made over the past few years. I do. For the most part. I like that some of these films try to honestly capture that essence of the b-movies from the 70s, despite putting a contemporary spin on it. This film, even though it certainly does have its moments, unfortunately doesn't live up to what it could have been.

The story of the action film has a supernatural bent, and concerns an escapee from Hell who returns to Earth to stop a cult from sacrificing his granddaughter in a ritual designed to bring Hell on Earth. Along the way he teams up with a young lass looking for a new lease on life. While all of that is going on, the escapee, named John Milton (why does almost every film involving Satan have to have a character caleld John Milton? That stopped being clever and inspired long ago) is being pursued by a mysterious guy named The Accountant who sort of is there to play fixer and act as bounty hunter.

The plot is a mess ,and not really that unique, although I do like the idea of Hell being a prison with Satan as the warden and The Account as one of the guards. The story is mostly there as an excuse to have awesome cars, explosions, and gun fights. There's the prerequisite rock music of course, but that elements is really used to it's potential, which is surprising and a shame. I saw this in 2D, but from what I can tell, this is one of those movies there the 3D was only used as an excuse to have crap flying at the screen, and not to enhance the depth or anything. Given the material, that's totally passable, but the film works just fine in 2D.

Nicolas Cage adds another crazy character to his resume, althoguh he's more noticeably land and lifeless here with his performance instead of being the odd livewire I've come to love and defend. His lacking performance is more than made up for by the combined scenery chewing of Billy Burke and especially William Fichtner. Amber Heard is a lovely woman, and she has her moments of badass heroine, but there's not really a reason for her character to exist.

The action is over the top, ridiculous, and does have a couple of great WTF moments, although like I said, this is overall not really all that memorable, and it's stupid to no end, but Lussier at least is somewhat competant as a director. Hell, I was blown away by how much I enjoyed his My Bloody Valentine remake.

I did enjoy it though as entertainment. It's fun, never boring, and would be great to watch with a group of friends and a case of beer. It does suck, but it could have been a whole lot worse. It's just a shame it doesn't have the spark to really make it an explosive and notable film with a better conceived and executed story-even for a trashy b-movie.
Tyler C

August 25, 2011
It's totally ridiculous and stupid at times, but also fun and William Fichtner was really awesome as "The Accountant."
Dean !

November 1, 2010
This film does exactly as it sets out to do. It's a pure over the top adrenalin rush almost from start to finish. Babes, bullets, blood, bad-ass characters and a Dodge charger. Think Crank meets Shoot 'em up with an almost comic book setting. I really enjoyed and found it an action packed film, that's tongue firmly in cheek. Add a cool car and the sexy Amber Heard and you get good popcorn entertainment, would have like to have seen it it 3D! If you like wild wacky films that are just fun to watch check this out!
Coxxie M

January 29, 2011
Hell yea!! DRIVE ANGRY!!!! and shoot loudly! cry emotionally! and fornicate lustfully! eat hungrily! yea. and um. shit painfully. smoke dangerously. i mean hell yea, man. thats just what america is about. DAMN CHILD TERRORISTS, GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!!!!!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 11, 2011
I really quite liked this movie. Its very amusing and just really entertaining to watch.
Although Cage's character is still a mystery about his character you get a vague idea about his character.
I love William Fichtner in this movie, i think he stole the show and just was very entertaining as the accountant from hell.
I very amusing and action packed movie that should be given a shot!
KJ P

February 23, 2011
This over-the-top thrill ride had me laughing on the edge of my seat. I was entertained much more than what I had anticipated myself for and that being said, Drive Angry may just be one of those films that I adore, but everyone hates. Nicholas Cage is pretty quirky in this film and I would say that it would annoy me, but William Fichtner's role is so gut-splittingly hilarious that it saves the film from any god-awfully recognizable performances. The effects are extremely cheesy, the story is wooden, and the acting is so far over-the-top that I just had a smile on my face throughout the entire film. The gore, the brutality, and the funny script is really what keeps this films engine revving on all cylinders. I had a great time during my viewing of this Grindhouse wannabee, and I can see myself revisiting it a few times over again just to get a good laugh along with my action fix. Everything about this movie is stupid, but I love it for just that reason. This film is a pure adrenaline ride!
Roy G

July 2, 2011
I love grindhouse throwbacks, I really do. I just wish the big studios would get it right for once...
Al S

October 16, 2010
An explosively cool and outrageously over the top thrill-ride that's just too much fun to resist. It's so excessive and insanely enjoyable all the way to the hard-rocking end. An adrenaline-pumping action-packed adventure. A solid popcorn movie that delivers all the vulgar, sex, bloody mayhem and chaos one could want from a movie like that. A great blend of comedy, action, horror, old-school 70's style and a great soundtrack. Nicolas Cage is a blast. William Fichtner is just having a great time playing this new and enjoyable villain. Billy Burke is terrific. This is movie is destined to be a cult classic.
blkbomb
blkbomb

June 29, 2011
The Accountant: Satan is just the warden of a large prison, well read man. And I happen to know that sacrificing children in his name pisses him off to no end.

Drive Angry is for the most part fun, but the dialogue is horrible, and the action becomes tiresome after awhile. It's endless slow motioned kills and that would be ok if there was something else redeemable about it. The acting isn't good, but I don't fault the movie for that. This wasn't meant to be a great movie and the acting isn't supposed to be great. The difference between this movie and a good like minded movie like Deathproof, is that this has bad writing and all the scenes involved the exact same kind of violence. There was nothing new from scene to scene and that' why it was easy to grow tired of. I don't mind Cage doing a movie like this but I wish at some point he would get back to the good movies he used to make. It's getting harder and harder to remember his great movie like Matchstick Men and Red Rock West. I still believe he will make another great movie, but not as much as used to.
DerekA101
DerekA101

June 22, 2011
Haha ohhhh Nicholas Cage... I remember when you used to be good. But now it's like you beg for the worst scripts every year.

Keep your eye on Amber Heard though. She was the only thing worth watching in this turd.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

October 16, 2010
Cast: Amber Heard, Nicolas Cage, Katy Mixon, William Fichtner, Billy Burke, David Morse, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Christa Campbell, Charlotte Ross

Director: Patrick Lussier

Summary: Career criminal Milton (Nicolas Cage) breaks out of prison to pursue the cult members who killed his daughter and kidnapped her baby. Milton is in turn chased by a serial killer (William Fichtner) who's determined to catch him before he can find redemption. Aiding Milton in his quest is Piper (Amber Heard), a comely waitress who supplies him with a muscle car that he uses to outrace the police that are hot on his trail.

My Thoughts: "This is one of those films you can't take very seriously. The kind of movie you just have to sit back, shut the brain off, and enjoy the ride. The film is kinda silly and it's obvious that's what they intended it to be. There were many scenes when I rolled my eyes to how insane some scenes were. But the film is fun. You get that all the crazy things that happen are meant to make you say 'are you serious?'. William Fichtner was my favorite in the film. I found his character 'The Accountant' to be very funny. But then again, I loved Amber Heard in this as well. Piper is one bad-ass chick and I loved her. If you go into the film with no high expectations and just enjoy the fun and silliness of it, you should have a brain dead good time. Cheesy with some good action."
Crash E

June 10, 2011
So silly, and the second time Nicolas Cage as man from the other side after Ghost Rider, and also I can't call it a good movie
Beefy
Beefy

June 12, 2011
Visceral, balls to the wall trash. Over the top and never to be taken seriously. And fun because of it. Amber Heard and William Fichtner give fun performances, but why is Cage so dialed back in a movie meant to be played to the hilt?
skactopus
skactopus

June 11, 2011
Patrick Lussier goes out of this world with Drive Angry and he does get some points for that.The film's story is everything it is marketed to be, and then some. There is a lot of driving and a lot of angry, but there is the fantasy twist to top it all off. That's not to say that this is a great movie because of that, but it sure as heck isn't bottom of the barrel material.Drive Angry makes full use of the R-rating. The language is aggressive, the nudity is widespread, and the violence is brutally gory, despite some wacky and unimpressive CG, which is obviously geared toward the 3D effects.This type of role is nothing new for Nicolas Cage, but his character is somewhat uninteresting. Amber Heard is a feisty one throughout and that turns into a positive for this picture. William Fichtner is shrouded in mystery, but that makes him one of the more memorable of the bunch, especially with some of his dialogue. "Now holster that iron God-killer and say thank you."In the end, Drive Angry accomplishes what it sets out to do. Is it worth watching? 50/50.
Lewis C

May 21, 2010
There's a lot of difference between a "good movie" and a "good Nicholas Cage movie". Silly, goofy, and extremely over-the-top, Drive Angry is a pretty good Nick Cage flick, even if it's not going to be on many people's best of 2011 lists.

Cage stars as Milton, a man who escapes from Hell in order to avenge the murder of his daughter and stop his infant granddaughter from being sacrificed as part of a cult's plot to bring Hell to earth. He picks up a blonde spitfire (Amber Heard) along the way, and the two of them are pursued by cops and a grim reaper-type man (William Fichtner) who's job it is to bring Milton back to where he belongs.

The rest is all shoot-outs, explosions, muscle car chases, and Amber Heard looking sexy.

Drive Angry is a fun movie, as long as you don't take it seriously. It was obviously made with camp value in mind, from the soundtrack to the way the actors ham things up and the cartoon-ish gore. If you know what you're getting into there's a good chance that you'll enjoy Drive Angry.