Drive-In - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drive-In Reviews

July 2, 2012
This movie was made in 1976 on a micro budget that was augmented slightly by the Texas film commission. Although the plot is implausible, the over-the-top way it was performed made it very memorable and a treat to watch. What is amazing about this film is that there were virtually no recognizable actors among the cast. Almost all of the cast were comprised of people from Terrell, Texas, where the film was shot, and the surrounding area.

Despite the lack of professional talent among the cast members, the funny home-spun style of the plot and the excellent directing made this a surprise gem when it was released later in 1976. The film was picked up by HBO and played multiple times on that network during the summer of 1977 where it was an instant success with its national audience. This was no small accomplishment as HBO had, even back then, many prospective films to choose from for its summer line up.

Those who grew up during the 1970s or early 80s will appreciate Drive In the most. It was a time when we were still living in the shadow of Viet Nam and Watergate. This film was comedic respite involving the lives of young people in small town America during this period. Those who lived through the era will remember fondly the days of the local roller skating rink and drive in theater in their home towns.

Yet, no matter who you are, you just can't help but love this movie. The film reflects a much simpler time in America when the after shocks of America‚(TM)s 1960's cultural revolution had still not made their way to small town America.

Even some young people today still might find it interesting to see what life was like for those of us who lived our youth without the internet, faxes, cell phones, HD TV, gang bangers or drive-by shootings. Back in those days, social networking was done at school dances, the drive-in, the skating rink and the mall.

The plot of this story unfolds in a multi-narrative style which is to say it tells the stories of several different people and groups of people all at once. All of these characters converge at the Alamo Drive-In in Terrell, Texas for the last half of the movie. I'd prefer not to say anymore about the plot and let you see it for yourself. You won't be sorry.

The film was a popular VHS rental in the 1980s. As a testament to the movies strength, you can now get it on DVD. However, you'll have to buy it online more than likely.
March 31, 2012
Funny movie. Carrie Jessup is great as Betty, Jr.!
October 14, 2010
A B movie comedy genre about teenagers evening out at the drive in park and roller skating rink during the 70s. Nostalgic for those who were teenagers at that time.
August 23, 2008
A slice of life movie about the normal goings on at a drive-in in a small Texas town. The best part of the movie were the scenes set during the day leading up to the night at the drive-in. This is one of those only released on video once in the 80s now hard to find movies. I watched it on Google video although about 35 minutes in the audio goes out of sync.
July 24, 2008
really good
must see
½ July 23, 2008
Kind of an early, less funny version of Dazed and Confused. It's definitely bad but strangely watchable and made me nostalgic for the many, many weekend nights I spent at the drive-in as a kid.