Driving Miss Daisy Reviews

½ April 12, 2015
Why this movie won so many Oscars is something that escapes me, since it has an annoying and poorly paced story that makes us endure an unbearable old lady and feels tremendously episodic trying to span 25 years with skips in time that never manage to be fluid.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 19, 2014
Driving Miss Daisy, I thought was a pretty good film, but was nowhere near the grand scale it has been described as. I'm not saying that it's a bad affair, but I feel it's a bit overrated as well. Morgan Freeman has made far better films than this, but here he delivers a very good performance, but compared to other pictures he's done, this one just doesn't stand out. The film is good for what it is, but I don't feel that it's a classic either. The story is good, charming and fun, and it boasts some engaging performances, but at times you feel that the film could have been much more as well. The film feels like it tries too hard at grabbing your attention and it should be effortless in doing so. Miss Daisy is good, but I simply didn't see how great it is. I personally feel there are far better films out there. Luckily the film is entertaining for what it is, but I would call this film a film that only warrants one viewing because I feel that it's necessarily a film that doesn't need to be seen time and time again. Driving Miss Daisy is entertaining and good for what it is, but it doesn't stand out as powerful picture and a film classic by any means. The cast do a fine job in their roles, but I felt that the story could have been polished a bit, and it should have had the potential of being a truly great film. The film is unfortunately a prime example of typical Oscar bate, only designed to appeal to the Academy, but when you actually watch it, you wonder why this film is so good. I mean this picture is entertaining, well acted and good, but it's nowhere near as good as everyone has claimed it to be.
FiLmCrAzY
½ October 8, 2007
This is an undeniably sweet movie, that you cant help but enjoy, i love morgan freemans laugh in this movie its so funny, although at times the uneducated character can become a bit annoying, that said it is a sweet, amusing movie, its debateable whether it is solely deserving of the awards although the acting is superb the movie is nothing spectacular to make you wow i love that movie its amazing because it quite simply isnt.
I did enjoy and is worth the watch! sweet drama comedy.
February 11, 2012
Morgan Freeman is as brilliant as always, as Hoke, a chauffeur for Miss Daisy, as her everyday ventures are very eventful. He helps her through her life, and we get many side plots about life along the way. Most of the sets represent perfectly, what is the time period it is set in. I did find some of the conversations between Hoke and Miss Daisy to be a little annoying a frustrating at times, but that is mostly due to the fact that Hoke's education is less than average. Through some terrific acting by a wonderful cast, a script that represents true life emotions with perfection, and a story that is sweet enough to call great, "Driving Miss Daisy" is a great film for many reasons. It is not the masterpiece like some people hope it to be or say it is, but in the end, that doesn't matter, you just smile. "Driving Miss Daisy" is blissful!
jamers2011
½ November 24, 2010
Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy are great!
Good movie!
January 3, 2010
Cute, funny, charming and heartwarming.
All it wants to do is be cute and makes you squeel and it succeeds.
April 12, 2011
A different take on an uncomfortable period in America's recent past as the principals take us on a amiable stroll through the deep south to show by example that a Gordian Knot of troubles can be seen through if we've only the grit ... and so in the final analysis an enjoyable film about developing patience.
DreamExtractor
March 23, 2011
Morgan freeman at his best, Driving Miss Daisy is a great Oscar winner and Im sorry if you hate it because your missing out.
ajaymuthecooldevils
January 27, 2007
Winner of 4 Academy Awards of 1990 including Best Picture, Best Actress (Jessica Tandy), Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Make Up... 'Driving Miss Daisy' is undoubtedly one of the best movie I've ever seen with its simplicity and integrity that make this movie become more interestingly to be watched... Not only the story which is great, but the cast did a terrific job, especially two big thumbs up for Jessica Tandy who still gave her best even she is 80 years old... Morgan Freeman and Dan Aykroyd gave their best shot too, and I love their performance in this movie... Starting with a simple story : a son who hire a black driver to drive his mother and since that his mother and the driver make one of the best friendship story that ever told... Even I almost crying when Miss Daisy told Hoke that he was her best friend because it was told from the heart and Jessica Tandy's performance was really terrific... Overall, I can't say how much I love this movie, especially since this movie becomes the Academy Awards' Best Picture and released in the year 1989, which is the year I was born into this world...
½ July 30, 2010
While certainly not a perfect film by any means, this 1989 Best Picture winner's strong suit is featured in the terrific performances from Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy; Freeman was nominated for Best Actor for his role, while Tandy became the oldest Best Actress winner in Oscars history (80 years old) for her part. I also quite enjoyed Esther Rolle's seemingly unassailed performance as Tandy's elderly maid; IMDb notes no accolades awarded to her for her part. Though a fairly minor role, Rolle's character was invaluable in the contrast not only between herself and Freeman, but between Freeman and Tandy.

However, I feel little can be said for the latter half of its framing, in which many scenes felt out of place and quite possibly redundant. Not much can be said either for the mediocre acting from supporter Dan Aykroyd, who was also undeservedly nominated for an Oscar for his role.

But, as I'll say time and time again, sentimentality and heartfelt nature in a movie will make up for many flaws, and this movie hits that note with perfection.
flixsterman
½ January 10, 2009
Framed by the shameful but accurate social inequities of the period, Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy elevate a storyline that could have easily bogged down in a sea of stereotyped caricatures. Instead there is humor and warmth in abundance.
ScoopOnline
December 6, 2009
Very lovely Movie.
September 22, 2009
A really sweet film. It?s a little bit contrived but it?s still, a really sweet film. I love Jessica Tandy!
September 11, 2009
Morgan Freeman never ceases to amaze me at how well he plays his almost always same, but calm, nice role.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ March 13, 2009
"The comedy that won a Pulitzer Prize"

An old Jewish woman and her African-American chauffeur in the American South have a relationship that grows and improves over the years.

REVIEW
This film is simply wonderful. The intimacy of the story is not burdened in a clumsy way with big themes, they are understated but never absent: an entire society is concentrated in the life of a few characters, but somehow we realise it only after the end of the movie, because we are captivated by this wonderful friendship, which is not unilateral, it involves three people who love each other in very different ways. Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman are simply impeccable and Dan Aykroyd may have achieved the best performance of his career with this film. If you wish to know what acting really means, watch this film.
FilmFanatik
April 27, 2007
An excellent film adapted from the stage play, which we read in middle school.
January 25, 2008
Morgan Freeman is extroadinary. Jessica Tandy is magnificent. Dan Aykroyd is teriffic. Freeman and Tandy have such marvelous, witty and compelling chemistry. A deeply moving, frequently funny and fasinating movie. An enjoyable, heartfelt and stunning triumph.
sainttom93
July 16, 2007
OH MAN, What a movie -- VERY powerful all the way through!
thmtsang
½ July 14, 2007
Great film about a woman and her chauffeur.