• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Drop Dead Fred Reviews

Spencer S

July 29, 2010
This quirky comedy from Dutch director Ate de Jong shares psychiatric themes dealing with abuse, madness, imaginary friends, and mental illness. Of course, all of these themes, however interesting and sparse in most comedies, are not well represented and are used to exploit bad jokes and queer physical comedy. Actually, what bothers and annoys most in this film is the performance from one person in particular, and that is comedian Rik Mayall as the eponymous Drop Dead Fred. Famous in England for his over-the-top stand-up comedy routines, here Mayall plays an imaginary friend to Elizabeth, played by Phoebe Cates. She is in an emotionally abusive relationship with her husband, Charles, played by Tim Matheson, and controlled by her domineering mother, played by Marsha Mason. Cates plays her role very quietly and in a distinguished way, which is odd in comparison to that of Rik Mayall, who is a loudmouthed, thoughtless, relentlessly irritating nincompoop. His performance is beyond comparison, because it doesn't make any sense in context with the rest of the situations presented during the film. If he exists to work through Elizabeth's inner turmoil, and does so throughout the film, than why does he have her commit crimes, or basically ruin her own life in the process of leaving her husband and finding her own strength? While the basic story is not terrible or anything resembling clichéd, the characters do these baffling and always misguided things that infuriate you as the viewer. This ranges from people throwing pasta in restaurants and calling it impulsive fun, to friends being okay with getting her home totaled and then she beats up a figurative man that she can't see. Everyone in this film is just unfortunate and misguided at every turn. There are some decidedly funny laughs to be had once in a while, but the overall view of this film is trashy and gross.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
Besides a few moments where the writers stumbled upon a lucky line that happened to work, "Drop Dead Fred" is easily the most brainless film I have ever seen in my entire life. As a childhood imaginary friend comes back to haunt her and her new job, along with her relationship, everything goes to hell as she seems to be insane. This film is just one annoying scene after another and it is solely the most painful experience I have ever had, trying to get through a movie. "Drop Dead Fred" is easily THE worst movie I have ever seen, hands down!
Phil H

August 22, 2007
This is great purely for Rik. I love 'Bottom' and 'The Young Ones' and this is close to being great stuff, close. The idea is cool and original but it needed more mischief from Rik and more risky laughs. Its still good, love Rik's look.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

July 18, 2010
Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Probably why Phoebe Cates retired from acting.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I've been watching "Drop Dead Fred" for years and it's still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Everybody does a good job acting and it has some of the funniest sequences of any movie ever. Phoebe Cates used to have an imaginary friend, but now she's grown up. All of a sudden he comes back and she's the only one that can see him. However, she is more mature now, so she tries to ignore him and even make him go away, but she realizes she still feels like a kid sometimes and wants her imaginary friend to stay around.
"Drop Dead Fred" is one of the best comedy films ever and you'll never get tired of watching it. It's one of the few movies that will never get old. If you like comedy movies, this is one you can't miss. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Always loved this one and still do.....wow, people on this site only rate this movie and average of 3 stars!?? What's wrong with you all?
Nicki M

December 12, 2007
Probably wouldn't work if it was to be released now, but at the time, this was a decent movie, and still smile rewatching it.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 14, 2007
excellant i thought it was really funny like every kids imaginary friends lol
love fred was excellant
EightThirty .

April 24, 2007
Fun and Funny
Leigh R

September 21, 2007
My favorite movie when I was younger. Cute, sweet, and funny.
Nani V

August 9, 2007
Ah! Childhood memories!
Lafe F

June 9, 2007
An important movie about overcoming those who control you. Phoebe Cates needs to call on her imaginary friend "Drop Dead Fred" to assert herself against her domineering fiance and mother. It's a film about growing up and become an adult. Rik Mayall plays the very naughty but loveable imaginary friend. This movie can be somewhat childish, cheap and annoying, but I found it to be a light enjoyable comedy with my brand of humour. There's a nice funny appearance from Carrie Fisher as Phoebe's best friend.
Lady D

February 28, 2007
If you're a grown up with a bit of a kid still in you watch this film
garyX
garyX

February 20, 2007
A reasonable idea scuppered by an utterly witless script leaving Mayall floundering in a loud and irritating attempt to make us laugh. And completely failing.
Jason S

December 27, 2006
Silly
deano
deano

November 20, 2006
Rik Mayall's manic performance must have put the cause of British comics in Hollywood.
Emily A

June 5, 2006
This is one of my childhood favorites. Rik Mayall is a scream, as is Marsha Mason as the overbearing harridan of a mother. This movie is really immature and really funny. It's ironic that having an imaginary friend that childish helped both parties mature.
Andrew F

May 19, 2007
I was surprised that I actually kind of liked it. I liked the idea of the movie, but the execution of the plot was not great. The guy who plays Fred is annoying and should have been replaced. It is a somewhat creative comedy that I will probably forget.
Jason S

May 31, 2006
One of those flicks you grew up with, but if you didn't you wont get it. I didn't, the laughs are non existant and its manic nature is tiring rather than endearing. Its central message has good intentions though so its not a white wash.
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 12, 2006
I must've gone off Rik Mayall.
iLeo
iLeo

October 3, 2006
Absolutely love Rik Mayall!!