94% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Drowning Pool Reviews

Conner R

January 31, 2010
An excellent sequel to Harper. It takes everything great from the first film without being repetitive. Paul Newman delivered a great performance as did a young Melanie Griffith. The story was extremely intriguing and entertaining, while also having a light hearted, comedic tone. Stuart Rosenberg made a film that isn't just fluff, it's extremely well made. If you enjoyed the first, I can't see you not liking this.
garyX
garyX

August 6, 2009
Lew Harper returns to investigate a case of the blackmail of a wealthy southern woman and uncovers corruption and murder. As usual. The sequel to Harper is far less jokey in tone and is more of a straight noir style thriller. All the usual ingredients are here; smart mouthed detective, hard-nosed cops, promiscuous young girl, shadowy land baron and the inevitable mix of small time hoods and snitches. The plot is very similar to that of Chinatown (although lacking its subtlety) but it actually works rather better than its predecessor because of the lack of swinging sixties style gimmicks; it has dated rather better as a result. A decent detective story that lacks flash or even a hint of originality but is good, solid entertainment.
jjnxn
jjnxn

June 11, 2009
mediocre and muddled but Newman is good as always.
March 16, 2013
The Drowning Pool (1975) -- [5.0] -- Paul Newman returns as private eye Lew Harper, hired by an ex-flame to solve a blackmail case involving adultery and oil-rich land. As with the previous "Harper" film, the stakes are never high enough and no one's quite worth caring about. The film is good for one suspenseful set piece involving a flooding room (hence the title?), but it's a pretty sleepy movie otherwise. If you love Newman, he might be enough carry you over the finish line. Joanne Woodward is very good as the ex-flame and Murray Hamilton is memorable as a nasty oil baron. Young Melanie Griffith pops up as Woodward's nymphet daughter.
jam233
December 26, 2009
Good, but nothing extraordinary, and considering the cast, I would have expected more. It?s well made, a little to slow in parts, but generally satisfying.
January 23, 2008
I started out with Harper and I'm ending with The Drowning Pool. How appropriate. (Okay, it's really not going to work this way because I have to wait for Flixster to put up Pocket Money, but they're pretty good at that.) Drowning Pool has Paul Newman revisit his titular character from Harper investigating something. I forget because the initial reason he's there isn't important.

Like Harper, the detective story is actually pretty light and it really is more about the ride than solving this superficial puzzle. I can't really complain about this movie again because it really is just a light-hearted romp. Lew Harper isn't so much of a great detective (although the movie paints him to be a genius) as he is a guy who gets lucky when it comes to solving crime. There's the same old character, but some of the emotional stuff is really gone. Lew had to deal with losing his wife in Harper, but has a distant relationship to Joanne Woodward's character, which really fails to get into any depth. For a while, I was wondering if Joanne Woodward was playing Janet Leigh's character until we find out about her fifteen year old daughter.

What I will say that The Drowning Pool offers over Harper is some very cool visuals. The title scene is a very interesting one where things don't work out exactly as they are supposed to. But that's really about it. I mean, the ending of Harper really is this personal, dynamite scene. Unfortunately, that moment is never really explained in Drowning Pool. I guess we don't need it explained because Harper is back in this one.

As much as this is a sequel, it really isn't. Yes, Paul Newman is still playing the same character, but this character is coming down the track ten years later. He doesn't have any of the problems he had in the first one. The first movie doesn't even come into play. Very much like James Bond, you don't need to see them in order (outside of On Her Majesty's Secret Service). Yeah, it's a good time, but not a memorable one again. Newman still brings his charm to the screen and, at times, that's all you can really ask for out of this film.
tjo7
October 9, 2007
Outstanding detective picture that they won't make any more. A sequel to 1960's Harper. I'm still waiting for it to be released on DVD. I worked at a first screen house when it was released, and it didn't get the attention it greatly deserved.
moviebuff18cab