Due Date - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Due Date Reviews

½ November 12, 2010
Due Date has a good deal of funny moments and works thanks to the talent of its two stars, especially Galifianakis, who is really obnoxious at first but soon gains our sympathy.
June 4, 2015
Zach Galifianakis' giant, slobbering puppy routine just makes you want to smack his nose with a 2x4, but then he throws out this really moving crying scene that seems charged by the depths of his soul. That's basically the dynamic between the humorless, responsible, soon-to-be-dad and the infuriating, good-hearted, actor-wannabe in "Due Date," and it works. RDJ plays a great, blasť straight man, and the budding father/overgrown-son relationship is filled with triumphs and laughs. But alas, Michelle Monaghan is, once again, a mere supportive woman.
michael e.
December 22, 2010
Zach Galifinakus and Robert Downey Jr work off perfectly hand in hand with the comedy and the whole movie was full of unexpected moments that made it more funny every second of the film
cosmo313
November 1, 2010
This is pretty much Planes, Trains, and Automobiles for a new generation, except this film is quite as funny or well-made. It's not a remake of that film, so much as it is a take on that film's general concept. With this one though, just swap out Thanksgiving for the birth of a child, and take away the trains (well, there are cameos, but that doesn't quite count).

Downey Jr is the straight man, Galifianakis is the obnoxious (big emphasis there) but well meaning (we hope) comic relief, and joining them are a number of nice little cameos, with one of the best being from Juliette Lewis, although Foxx is not bad. I like Michelle Monaghan, but could have used more of her. I feel that way about her career in general, though.

There are some laughs, but I never found this film to really be hilarious. There are some serious, dramatic, and even legitimately touching moments, but overall, tonally this film is inconsistent. PTA was a little mean spirited besides heart warming and hilarious, but it also felt more convincing, and the changes in tone and character were earned. This film doesn't quite get there. It sure tries though.

I think the main thing is that this film had a lot of potential, but, to tie in with the film's plot, it's a bit premature. The script could have been retooled and some of the story elements could have been reworked to get the audience to care just a tad more, and have it stick.

I did like the performances though, because those were decent, although Galifianakis did get on my nerves, which doesn't really ever happen. Maybe I'm just tiring of his shtick. Some of the film's big moments are cool ,but some are maybe just a little too over the top or ludicrous.

All in all, I can't bring myself to give this a mild recommendation, even though I didn't find the viewing experience of it to be unenjoyable. I actually do sort of recommend it though, like mostly if it's on cable or something. Otherwise, it's not really a film that must be seen.
August 18, 2010
They have to admit: It's basically a remake of "Trains, planes and automobiles" as two very unlike strangers get thrown together for a road trip through the US. The film can rely on Downey Jr. for being a wonderfully arrogant snob, while Galifianakis is basically just his own, weird self once again. That does create quite a few laughs, while other parts feel as if you've seen them all before (and better). They even tried to add the emotional depth of "T, p and a" by giving the funny character a tragic back story. That only partially works. While the result is entertaining enough, it never manages to reach you on an emotional level like Candy and Martin did 25 years ago. And the laughs were bigger back then, too.
April 7, 2012
You get the feeling that these men genuinely despise each other in real life, it wrecks the whole movie.
July 13, 2012
Boring!
½ February 10, 2012
Due Date present a funny black humor, but it's a very overblown slapstick. Unfortunately is a shame waste the director and his cast. The movie is a more dark vision of Planes, Trains and Automobiles; Get Him to the Greek and The Hangover. Rotten.
½ March 24, 2012
A disappointing follow up for Galifianakis, and an even worse performance from Downey Jr. as the pair show clear signs that the film just won't working as the weak plot and characterization come into place.
Directors Cat
½ November 24, 2011
Due Date wasn't as crazy, wacky or funny as I expected it to be. The characters aren't that interesting, a lot of jokes miss and above all it's not as good as Phillips and Galifanakis' The Hangover. A word of advice is dont go into Due Date with the high expectations I had. It wasn't that great but it's dumb forgetable fun thats kept alive by its better jokes.
½ November 7, 2010
04/.09/2011 (ONLINE)
DreamExtractor
½ February 25, 2011
Due Date is not a bad movie, on the contrary its a very funny movie but the problem was i felt like I was watching a complete and 100% remake of plains, Trains, and Automobiles. The plot is very boring and long, and we all know they are going to be great friends in the end and there was no big mystery or anything going on like The Hangover. The cast was good, except for Galifanakas because I feel like the director just wanted him to exactly be like his character in The Hangover. The comedy was great, although it was very disgusting I found myself constantly laughing so i give it props for that. Due date is an okay movie, I understand the negativity but it was better then most of the critics claim.
July 31, 2011
Funny here and there, but overall it was pretty much a floppy movie.
½ October 12, 2010
Milking new names to try to be a modern day take on Planes, Trains and Automobiles.... but it just does not work, too over the top to feel real enough to enjoy.
November 5, 2010
An in-betweener to keep Todd Phillips busy between Hangover films, Due Date is fun and full of big laughs, gross outs, weird outs and plot holes that will keep you more entertained than not until it ends. Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifanakis both do great work with this silly script, but overall it's a mediocre film. Check it out for free on TV some time, (it will become a staple), but pay money for it at your own risk: Planes, Trains and Automobiles cast the mold for this film, and frankly, the Steve Martin/John Candy classic is much better.
murphmann93
½ June 23, 2011
Not really that funny. A few laughs here and there but that's about it. Really dissapointed, excepted better since the cast seemed to be fantastic.
FiLmCrAzY
½ November 22, 2010
this is a vaguely amusing movie.
I'm a fan of Zack Galinfiinas so its worth a watch for his simple dumb humour.
Also if your a fan of robert downey jr you'll enjoy the movie because he does look hot. But other than those reasons its not really worth a watch
CloudStrife84
November 3, 2010
Standard comedy fare by Todd Phillips. Not the lame misfire I thought it'd be, but certainly not great either. Very uneven quality in the humor, although it did have some moments where it was pretty funny. The two leads are mostly to thank for that though, as their acting alone compensates for the flaws in the script. Final grade: C as in Casual Comedy.
½ November 26, 2010
yeah, it was funny but not the way I expected,
I think it's just a good company in spending a leisure
½ May 9, 2011
I wish someone would give Todd Phillips an amazing script. He makes every one of his films look really good and seems to get really good performances out of his actors. Downey and Zach have a great back and forth, but the script is lacking (the daddy issues border on annoying in this film) and it's basically a rip off of one of the best road movies ever made. Whoever wrote should feel lucky that it ended up in the hands of these talented people and makes me wish these talented people would get their hands on some better scripts.