Dumbo Reviews

½ November 18, 2014
The box office failure of Fantasia prompted Disney to make a much simpler animation that relies more on characters and feelings, and it has a very beautiful story (despite some ethnic stereotypes) about rejection and how one's "defect" ends up being what makes one so special.
October 1, 2010
For all of the buildup and story that this film brings to the table, it's too short and feels a tad rushed to get to the point by the end, while disregarding main plot points that were developed during the first half of the picture. Sure, it's meant to be kids entertainment, and in that respect, it definitely pays it's dues, but overall, it made itself out to be more than what it actually is. This film has a wonderfully scripted storyline, but was poorly executed by a short running time. I would have liked to see everything unfold rather than have such a quick and happy ending handed to me. "Dumbo" should have been better than what it is!
September 8, 2012
Dumbo is a terrific Disney classic and is among the best films that the studio has produced. Brilliantly animated and directed with a great cast, Dumbo is a fun, sad film that will appeal to people of all ages. That's the great thing about this film. This is a great film that I grew up with, and is certainly a classic Disney offering. Although it has a few flaws, Dumbo succeeds at being a fun, entertaining film for viewers of all ages. This is a well put together film from start to finish. You're sure to enjoy this film if you love previous Disney outings and this is yet another stellar classic. The cast are wonderful and each brings something special to the screen to bring the characters to life with the great voice performance each one gives. This is among the most popular Disney title and it's easy to see why. A very enjoyable flick for the whole family, it has something that anyone is sure to enjoy. Dumbo is a flawed film, but nonetheless it is still a memorable film in Disney's catalogue. Despite its slight imperfections, Dumbo is an accomplished animated feature and like I've said before is sure to please Disney fans of all ages. This is a must film and is among Disney all time greatest classics. This was when Disney was making cinematic gold and it shows. A superb film that is sure to demand multiple viewings. This was Disney making great films ands Dumbo is a wonderful film that will capture your imagination from start to finish.
Daniel Mumby
July 26, 2012
One of the things you realise from revisiting classic Disney films is just how short the majority of them are. In the entire Golden Age, when Walt Disney was personally involved in every production, only Fantasia breaks the 90-minute mark - and since that's essentially a collection of short stories, you might well argue that it doesn't count.

For the most part the length is deceptive since it gives the impression of modesty, when for the most part the halcyon days of Disney were anything but modest. This is even the case with Dumbo, a film made quickly and on the cheap to make up for the financial losses incurred by Fantasia and Pinocchio. Clocking in at just over an hour, it unfolds at a breezy, efficient pace while offering up a couple of nice surprises. While it never hits the heights of Snow White (how could it?), it's still a really good film which has stood the test of time.

The biggest visual difference between Dumbo and its predecessors lies in the choice of colours and shades. While Snow White, Pinocchio and Fantasia all boasted deep Technicolor reds and pastel shades, Dumbo is lighter, brighter and cheerier, reflecting the boisterous atmosphere of the circus rather than the darkness of the queen's castle, Pleasure Island or Chernabog's mountain. The early section where the circus animals are introduced is so bright that it closely resembles the Silly Symphonies cartoons, particularly Father Noah's Ark from the mid-1930s.

This more light-hearted, cartoonish look is in equal parts a reflection of the source material and the production problems Dumbo encountered. As well as having to keep the budget down, Disney and director Ben Sharpsteen were at loggerheads with Herbert Sorrell, leader of the Screen Cartoonists Guild's labour union. In May 1941, after Disney's repeated refusal to sign his animators up to this union, the entire animation staff walked out for five weeks, leaving the film half-finished. Disney's mistrust of those involved in the strike is reflected in 'The Clown Song', in which the clowns "go and hit the big boss for a raise".

When reviewing The Pursuit of Happyness on BBC Radio 5 Live, Mark Kermode quipped that the film was "the live-action version of Dumbo... it's pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, and then ten seconds of "it's alright" at the end". Notwithstanding the ins and outs of Gabriele Muccino's film, this (deliberately) flippant assessment is a little unfair. While the story is more straightforward and limited in scope than a good many Disney films from this period, it makes up for this with genuine emotional depth, resulting in a tearjerker which works on people of all ages.

Because the scope is so limited, the film becomes much more of a character piece which is interrupted by the action surrounding it. None of the early set-pieces are spectacularly staged, and so we are forced to look to the characters to see us through. This is where the cartoonish animation style comes into its own: each of the animals are intimately drawn, allowing us to get a real sense of the relationships between them even after a few close seconds. The film is very close to the silent era work of Chaplin and Keaton, in conveying complex emotions through gesture alone - a comparison reinforced by the fact that Dumbo never speaks.

Dumbo's story is one to which we can easily relate. It's akin to Chaplin's The Kid in the amount of sadness and disappointment (and pain) foisted upon the characters by the "cold, cruel, heartless world." Neither film is mopey or self-pitying, and since the animation is so understated you never feel like you're being manipulated into feeling sorry for Dumbo. Instead your heart genuinely goes out to a character who never intentionally hurt anyone, who is ridiculed just because he looks different, and whose playful curiosity about the world always leads to him getting hurt. The animation of Dumbo is terrific, getting a full gamut of emotions out of a very challenging set of facial features.

The story of Dumbo is also interesting because there is no one clearly defined antagonist. The majority of Disney's classic work is rooted in fairy tales, where good and evil are clearly defined and vividly expressed. But here, each of the potential main antagonists stoop to the authority of another. The female elephants may disown Dumbo and get their comeuppance in the form of peanuts, but they still bow to the ringmaster. The ringmaster may get attacked by Mrs. Jumbo, but his desire to exploit his animals is not specifically directed toward Dumbo, even when he is made into a clown.

One of the interesting inconsistencies in the film is the extent to which humans and animals can interact. It's established pretty much immediately that different kinds of animals can talk to each other, with the stork talking to the elephants and the elephants talking to Timothy mouse. But it isn't clear as to what extent the animals can and do talk to humans. On the one hand, we have the scene of Timothy whispering into the ringmaster's ear; on the other hand, there is no interaction between Mrs. Jumbo and the boy she beats up, or between her and the ringmaster. It's not a massive problem, but it is a small source of irritation when looking at the consistency of this world.

Because Dumbo is closely tied to the silent era, you would expect the soundtrack to play a sizeable role. Frank Churchill and Oliver Wallace won an Oscar for their work on the film, while 'Baby Mine' was nominated for Best Original Song. To this day it is guaranteed to make one teary-eyed, being sensitively arranged and beautifully sung by Betty Noyes. Other items in the soundtrack play on physical movements and rhythms, with 'Casey Junior' and 'Mr. Stork' taking their beats from steam engines and wings beating respectively. And let's not forget 'When I See An Elephant Fly', which boasts clever lyrics and whose chorus remains highly catchy.

But by far the most memorable scene in Dumbo is the Pink Elephants sequence - a sequence which by all accounts has absolutely no reason to be there. To borrow a term from Lindsay Ellis (a.k.a. the Nostalgia Chick), it's a classic Big Lipped Alligator Moment: a surreal interlude which comes out of nowhere, and once it's over no-one ever mentions it again. You can argue all you like about its role in the plot, and the problematic implication that Dumbo discovers his true calling by getting drunk. But the best thing to do is to celebrate the scene for what it is: a strange and terrifying example of the darkness in all great Disney films, a darkness which takes no prisoners and boggles the mind with its mesmerising beauty.

There has been some controversy over whether the crows in the film are racist depictions of African-Americans. Proponents of this view, like critic Richard Schickel, point to the leader of the group being called Jim Crow, relating to the segregation laws in America which lasted until the mid-1960s. But while this is an unfortunate coincidence, the crows do not conform to the then-stereotype of African-Americans as illiterate workshy layabouts. In Dumbo the crows are free-spirited, savvy, self-confident and intelligent. They are the most sympathetic to Dumbo's cause, and even if the magic feather turns out to be "just a gag", it was given with the very best intentions.

Dumbo remains a good all-round children's film which has at least some of the Disney magic still on show. It's not the most ground-breaking film in Disney's canon, with a slight storyline and little in the way of visual ambition. But it makes up for these enforced shortcomings through its huge emotional appeal, with a pathos and childlike curiosity which has weathered the test of time. It's no Snow White or Pinocchio, but this little old elephant can still fly.
August 2, 2011
One of my all time favorite Disney flicks. Great animation, memorable story, and wonderful music. The crow gang are really cool characters and are entertaining to watch as they help Dumbo learn how to fly. What can I say? It's a Disney classic.
January 12, 2007
Walt Disney's Dumbo is one the most-talked about films in the Disney animated library by critics, animation fans and just audience members in general. Some call it the best film the studio ever made. I can't say I necessarily agree with that sentiment, but it is a wonderful little film in its own right. Its simplicity is probably what makes so popular. Stories in Disney films tend to be a little more complicated at times - not that they're difficult to understand, but they're not usually so simple. Dumbo is an underdog tale and audiences tend to cheer these stories on moreso than others when done well, and this one certainly is. It doesn't hold as much power for me as some of their other titles, but I can't deny how fascinating and lovely it is.
½ June 26, 2011
Great movie
June 23, 2011
Childhood favourite and a classic!
March 19, 2010
michael e.
½ January 28, 2011
its very slow moving, and my favorite part was the pink elephants, because i love watching the scene with kids because i love seeing the kids reactions. but it is a sweet and fun movie
June 22, 2009
It really has been a long time since ive seen this, and im not exactly eager to hop back on the Disney train. i do know that it stars a talking elephant voiced by someone who probably was in atleast one of the Lord of the Rings films. i know that there are also talking crows. other than that i aint got the foggiest cause you know, when i saw it i was getting my ass kicked in sunday school by a guy who apologized a few years later because his Grandma died. but its ok. i dont remember him and i hope he doesnt remember me. and besides, that was in a church around 1996 or something and ill never go back to that church or see that kid again, but i hope his other three grandparents are still alive. you know? its a dumb movie.
October 27, 2010
This was short and sweet and slow. I didn't expected this to be awesome or something but it was nice. Enjoyable and sometimes heart touching. There were some moments that will make you upset (if you're emotional) but the ending will instantly cheer you up. The only part that looked too-much-cheesy was when the bubble turns into elephants and....(you'll see what they do if you watch this). This is not something I'll watch again (because it's way too kiddish for me).
September 5, 2010
A sweet, if often silly, movie about a baby elephant with giant ears, which help him fly. Although that last part is literally impossible, the movie is sweet and kids enjoy it.
July 23, 2010
½ June 5, 2010
I'd love to say that this is one of my favorite disney movies, but it's just not. There's nothing really wrong with it, I just find it to be sort of uninteresting. Sure, Dumbo is a cute little elephant, but that only goes so far. I think it's interesting that they made him fly and that he's mute. However, I really didn't need to see a feature length film devoted to the story.
September 4, 2007
i think sterling holloway must have been the essential voice over for all disney classics!!
you have to love dumbo its an emotional but brilliant animated classic really worth the watch!!
½ October 5, 2006
After not seeing this in about 15 years, my initial review of "I cry every time" may have been outdated. Dumbo is definitely not as good as I remember it to be. Sure the animation's still better than a lot of what sits in the Disney vault, the story itself isn't anything to write home about. Yes, its an overall sad movie, but watching Dumbo terrorize the circus for the final scene was so much fun I almost forgot I wasn't watching the prom scene from Carrie. And if you can't appreciate the pink elephants scene you're not a fun person.
August 15, 2009
I grew up watching just about all of the Disney movies that have ever came out and now I'm 28 and can't wait for my kids to watch all the Disney films I still have, especially "Dumbo." I have one question, how can anybody not give "Dumbo" a good rating? It defines classic in more ways than just about any other Disney film. It tells the classic story of friendship between Dumbo and Timothy the mouse. Dumbo eventually ends up back with his mom at the end of the movie.

It has some of the best classic songs and sounds from any of the Disney films and my favorite part of the movie is when Dumbo and the mouse get drunk and see all the pink elephants. "Dumbo" is what I would call a true classic in every way, especially for when it was made - great animation!
January 9, 2007
slow but still classic, one for the ages