Dune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dune Reviews

June 29, 2007
I can't seem to get all the way through this. The visuals just gross me out too much.
December 5, 2006
Explains a little bit more than Lynch's version. But the effect, lack and sets leave a lot to be desired.
½ November 3, 2010
One of the best Science Fiction mini-series ever. It didn't have actors or the budget for special effects that the David Lynch film had, but it stayed true to the books. Mini series episodes = more time to tell the story in details too.
I recommend the follow up "Children of Dune" as well.
½ May 19, 2010
It's a shame Sci Fi doesn't produce more mini series of this quality. I was never a huge fan of the David Lynch version, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. I would recommend it for fans of science fiction.
May 20, 2009
Bizarre costumes not withstanding this was the ultimate cinematic manifestation of Frank Herbert'sbooks....LOVED this one and Children of Dune....When I can find them I will purchase them to add to my permanent collection....
½ March 2, 2008
I liked this one , visually , but it lost some of the dark tone that the original release of this film had as welll as the book. but i would recommend this movie to any serious sci-fi fantasy buff
September 10, 2007
This tv mini-series remake was in my opinion much better than the original film. This is the type of film I'll watch again.
June 21, 2007
A good and faithul adaptation of one of my all time favorite books, and a good movie in it's own right.
June 8, 2007
Better than the David Lynch original because it wasn't constrained to the time allotment of a normal movie (this was re-released as a mini-series). More loyal to the Herbert novels and more fun to watch. Better special effects to and no Asia as the soundtrack!
June 4, 2007
One of the most amazing movie series I have ever seen. A look at power, greed, honor, trust, love, family, and corruption of the human spirit that occurs along the way to one man's dreams.
June 2, 2007
Great attempt to bring the Novel to screen. Very faithful to the book, only wish they had the Movie cast for this.
May 12, 2007
It is, sadly, not smoothly done with bad CGI of the late 90s and hit and miss acting/directing. But still, it's f*cking Dune! Most of the rating basically came from that. The story, classic.
April 16, 2007
THe Sci-Fi channel completely got it! The scenes in the film were exactly the kinds of scenes going through my head when I read the books years ago!
March 21, 2007
Finally a version of Dune that follows the book practically word for word!!! This is an awesome TV miniseries, i applaud the Sci-Fi channel for doing it RIGHT!!! If you have read the book and not seen this film i HIGHLY recommend that you see it, you will not be disappointed!!!
½ March 12, 2007
cool!! thought...I didnt get it all...Then again I watched it in another language so that didnt help either...lol
December 24, 2006
An all time favorite of mine. The story stole my heart when I watched the first eposide on the Sci-Fi channel. This is one I had to own and still do watch it unlike other movies I own. Remember Fear is the Mind Killer!
½ January 10, 2007
More accurate to the original story -- particular with respect to the Weirding Way. (Uh, George Lucas... where did you get the idea for the "Force", huh?) But two things basically sucked: the Still-Suits were lacking the original 1984 complexity/ believeability and the actors don't look the least bit Greek. (The Atreides House is supposed to be Greek in original... David Lynch had enough sense to type-cast according that aspect). Of course this one was a made for TV movie, so...
½ December 18, 2006
Much better overall than the old one, though I don't see why they strayed from the books in places. They could have easily covered it all correctly.
½ October 22, 2006
Horrible special effects, and the accents get rather grating at times, but it is still an amazing piece of work.
½ September 14, 2006
Beautiful looking but rather flat adaptation of Frank Herbert's book, this does have good performances (especially from the supporting players) but it just doesn't have the strange spark that Lynch's adaptation has (course, I'm sure that's because Lynch's came out when I was a kid more than anything else.)