Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God Reviews

May 13, 2008
This while cheesy in all aspects feel just like your watching a D&D game play out and for that it hits it target audience and isnt that bad overall.
½ February 7, 2012
Not really much better than the first film, are you surprised?, in fact the effects are less impressive and less frequent also making the film rather dull to say the least...again would this be a surprise?.

Payne reappears in this sequel despite seemingly being killed convincingly in the first film (minus his blue lipstick) but this time he's up against a team of five challengers. These five challengers/adventurers are the most boring and unimaginative looking set I've seen in an adventure film, surprisingly female orientated the team look drab and silly yet admittedly close to D&D lore but uninspiring none the less.

The whole film is pretty dull really with nothing much happening right up until the end where there is some decent dragon action, I think D&D followers will get more of a kick out of this but newcomers will be less enthralled. I have seen worse but this isn't quite as cheesy as the first, now that must be a surprise. Nice poster art though.
September 23, 2007
The second fantasy adventure movie based on the role-playing game is not entirely as disappointing and silly as the first one but only slightly better and still not really recommendable for anyone but the fans. While they might get a kick out of recognizing spells, skills and character features even they should cringe at the horrible CG effects for the monsters. With a little more effort on dialoges and special effects this really could have been classified as good, the story and characters had potential but would have needed more attention. Nice try, but still far from the masterpieces of the genre.
July 10, 2007
A movie done much closer to the feel of the Dungeons & Dragons universe than the first film.

This one had a European feel to it, which enhanced the fantasy locales. The characters were very serious in their roles. The story was a bit dry; I wanted a shade more humour to keep things moving along. There were monsters, a full party of characters, and an interesting Dungeon. Oh yeah, there was also a Dragon. They got it right. If they had livened up the story, it could've been really good. As it stands, it's okay.
June 9, 2007
Less popcorn entertainment than the previous film, but less "fun" because of it. But, chicks with swords. Too few films with those, so three stars.

Before Seeing: I really need see this film before I die... in fact, I suspect this to kill me.
½ September 6, 2013
Couldn't pay much attention to it, as it's rather dull, long, and slow. The characters are uninteresting and the effects are so-so. While this one is serious, the comedy of the first did make it more enjoyable, so maybe this film didn't really go in the right direction. An anticlimactic ending, and overall boring fight scenes.
½ March 21, 2010
You have to have a good imagination for this one. Like you do when reading a book. Effects and acting could be better but I'd have to honor the writer.
May 30, 2012
March 30, 2012
This is a movie for DnD gamers so if you are not one you probably will not like it but I don't care what you think anyway. We need some really good DnD movies made there are so many stories to base an epic trilogy on. This movie was decent, the cgi was lacking but it wasn't terrible it entertained me and I might even watch it again.
½ July 4, 2011
A bad "B" movie shown on SyFy...Bad acting, bad script and that's just the upside to this movie. Not much substance here...Save your money and see something else"
½ April 11, 2010
A far superior film compared to it's notorious predecessor.
But that's not saying much. The film has it's flaws but there are moments where it feels like a dungeons and dragons campaign taking place. It has all the familiar elements, you have a Fighter, a Thief, A Cleric, A Wizard, and a Barbarian. You have an antagonist causing trouble, you have Dungeons, Dragons, traps, lairs, mazes, puzzles, fights, demons, familiar objects such as the Gem of True seeing,Mace of Thunder, the ring of the ram, etc. It can be considered the film most wanted. But if you don't play dungeons and dragons, or have an analytical mind, this film is rock stupid. there are pointless fight scenes with absolutely no build up what-so-ever, and while it may please hardcore Dungeons and Dragons nerds, Dungeons and Dragons:Wrath of the Dragon God will not please anybody who is a fan of the fantasy genre.
½ March 26, 2010
Sequel that has almost nothing at all to do with the original. Better production quality, though. Owned on DVD.
½ November 24, 2009
though it was thrown to direct video ... the movie takes on a more serious tone , than the horrid one that escaped to the theatres .

For it`s smaller budget ... it made great attempts to be a D&D movie .

You can tell the directing and acting took much more serious .

if there ever was a sequel to this one . I would see it .
April 11, 2008
I've played D&D my whole life; hungry for fantasy. Yet, even my geek tendencies could not overcome the reality -- this film is pretty bunk.
June 29, 2006
I loved it. Even with the occasional cheesy CG, I loved it. It's so much like D&D it's awesome no matter what.
½ November 3, 2007
The original Dungeons & Dragons film is number 2 on my 'Worst Films of All Time' list due to it being stupid, childish and horribly directed/acted. But evidently it made enough money to warrant a sequel... even though it's a DTV one. Funny thing is... this one ain't half bad. Yeah, the dialogue still sucks and the CGI FX aren't exactly ILM quality, but this one actually feels like you're watching a game of D&D play out on screen. All the characters have their class/ranks and none of them do things that their type wouldn't do in a game. The direction this time around is a hell of a lot better, as is the acting. The characters are entertaining to watch (no twenty-somethings to be found here) and there is a lot fantasy style action to sink your teeth into... the Ice Dragon part in particular was pretty cool. It's not the best movie in the world, but it's passable entertainment.
October 25, 2007
A decent movie for adventure and D&D fans. It's no award winner but it has all the characteristics of an enjoyable home movie with reasonable action, able actors and serviceable script. It seems to stay true to the rules of D&D as well. It is unfortunate that Courtney Solomon (wisely only Exec. Dir. here) who directed the first D&D movie and seems to have a death grip on the movie rights to this great franchise, continues to be involved and sullies the good name and wonderful potential of D&D on the big screen.
½ December 22, 2013
Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might, also known as Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God, is merely a sh*tload of waiting for the first part of the film. It manages to fall short of the entertainment value of its predecessor, even though that means it was falling short of the excessively criticised Dungeons and Dragons film. The high point of the first hour is the fact that there is excessive dramatization of a guy being slightly annoyed that he is trapped under a fallen tree.
There aren?t any dungeons or dragons for the 51 minutes, rendering the title misleading. And by the time the ice dragon graces the screen with its surprisingly decent visual effects, I no longer cared. There was way too much talking without the interesting characters or good dialogue to give it any form of interest.
It doesn?t feel like it was put together with any good intentions, even the intentions of making money. Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might lacks the spirit of its predecessor, but has the same cheap look and lack of quality. Courtney Solomon did a better job as the director of Dungeons and Dragons than Gerry Lively did of Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might, because at least Courtney Solomon had something vaguely interesting to work with, while Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might has little dragons, less dungeons and no might. Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might is absolutely abysmal.
The main problem is that Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might is excessively short on action. You're likely to find more action by reading this review of Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might than you are by watching it. It's too short I on action, dragons and Bruce Payne.
Bruce Payne still has the spirit in him, but his role and screentime is way too small. It's easy for him to steal the show, but there isn't much of a show for him to steal so it isn't much of an achievement. He's the most genial presence though.

So Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might is a terrible sequel to an unimpressive movie and squanders $10 million that Jim Jarmusch could have put to better use any day.
½ February 7, 2012

October 2, 2013
it was just ok. Prefer original with Marlon Wayons.