Movies Like Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God Reviews

John M

May 13, 2008
This while cheesy in all aspects feel just like your watching a D&D game play out and for that it hits it target audience and isnt that bad overall.
Phil H

February 7, 2012
Not really much better than the first film, are you surprised?, in fact the effects are less impressive and less frequent also making the film rather dull to say the least...again would this be a surprise?.

Payne reappears in this sequel despite seemingly being killed convincingly in the first film (minus his blue lipstick) but this time he's up against a team of five challengers. These five challengers/adventurers are the most boring and unimaginative looking set I've seen in an adventure film, surprisingly female orientated the team look drab and silly yet admittedly close to D&D lore but uninspiring none the less.

The whole film is pretty dull really with nothing much happening right up until the end where there is some decent dragon action, I think D&D followers will get more of a kick out of this but newcomers will be less enthralled. I have seen worse but this isn't quite as cheesy as the first, now that must be a surprise. Nice poster art though.
Jens S

September 23, 2007
The second fantasy adventure movie based on the role-playing game is not entirely as disappointing and silly as the first one but only slightly better and still not really recommendable for anyone but the fans. While they might get a kick out of recognizing spells, skills and character features even they should cringe at the horrible CG effects for the monsters. With a little more effort on dialoges and special effects this really could have been classified as good, the story and characters had potential but would have needed more attention. Nice try, but still far from the masterpieces of the genre.
Lafe F

July 10, 2007
A movie done much closer to the feel of the Dungeons & Dragons universe than the first film.

This one had a European feel to it, which enhanced the fantasy locales. The characters were very serious in their roles. The story was a bit dry; I wanted a shade more humour to keep things moving along. There were monsters, a full party of characters, and an interesting Dungeon. Oh yeah, there was also a Dragon. They got it right. If they had livened up the story, it could've been really good. As it stands, it's okay.
June 9, 2007
Less popcorn entertainment than the previous film, but less "fun" because of it. But, chicks with swords. Too few films with those, so three stars.

Before Seeing: I really need see this film before I die... in fact, I suspect this to kill me.
July 4, 2011
A bad "B" movie shown on SyFy...Bad acting, bad script and that's just the upside to this movie. Not much substance here...Save your money and see something else"
magisterbrodd
March 26, 2010
Sequel that has almost nothing at all to do with the original. Better production quality, though. Owned on DVD.
lipanwrangler
June 29, 2006
I loved it. Even with the occasional cheesy CG, I loved it. It's so much like D&D it's awesome no matter what.
shwanzi
November 3, 2007
The original Dungeons & Dragons film is number 2 on my 'Worst Films of All Time' list due to it being stupid, childish and horribly directed/acted. But evidently it made enough money to warrant a sequel... even though it's a DTV one. Funny thing is... this one ain't half bad. Yeah, the dialogue still sucks and the CGI FX aren't exactly ILM quality, but this one actually feels like you're watching a game of D&D play out on screen. All the characters have their class/ranks and none of them do things that their type wouldn't do in a game. The direction this time around is a hell of a lot better, as is the acting. The characters are entertaining to watch (no twenty-somethings to be found here) and there is a lot fantasy style action to sink your teeth into... the Ice Dragon part in particular was pretty cool. It's not the best movie in the world, but it's passable entertainment.
joyouskiss
August 23, 2007
A nice sequel, with comic relief. (laugh) Fun fantasy to watch nonetheless. The dragon god is a living dead thing, mostly bones. Weirdness.
mattdemille
July 21, 2007
A noble attempt do D&D right, but it's still a cartoon, the equivalent of "Batman Forever" when what we need is the equivalent of "Batman Begins". Best part: Ellie the Barbarian babe.
June 26, 2007
It was on par with the 1st Dungeons and Dragon movie but it still needs better writing. But hey I like fantasy, dragons, cute elves and wizards so its all good.
vitchard
April 14, 2007
This was actually a very good movie...it is totally different from that first piece of crap they put out. This had interesting details that made it come alive, like the use of hand motions when spellcasting. The difference here is that the wizard didn't just wave her hands around in a random fashion, but made specific signs that looked very much like American Sign Language.
vincentvangogh1889
November 26, 2006
Vastly superior to it's 2000 predacessor. Top notch effects and sword & sorecery to keep any nerd (my self inlcuded :-) happy.
October 20, 2006
Understandably made for tv. This film wasn't so much bad, as it was uninteresting. I didn't dislike it, but I doubt any of it will stick with me. It was much better than the god awful first D&D branded film, but sure wasn't anything particularly inspired. If you are super into fantasy films, go ahead and rent this, but LOTR this is not. There's nothing wrong with this film, but nothing to make me ever need to see it again.
catfreak14
October 14, 2006
I love this movie so much. I don't know why, but I had to buy it as soon as I watched it. The acting, story, and CG isn't bad for a Sci-Fi original.
aelric99
May 20, 2006
WOW!!! part two. one could argue that it's better than the first, but then another could argue that it has a guy thrown through a paper wall that was supposed to pass as stone.
Tehela
March 23, 2006
I know what you're thinking, "But Ingrid, didn't you watch the first one and knew that the sequel of something that horrible had to be bad?"
"Yes, I did"
"Then why did you see it?"

Against my better judgement I decided to give Dungeons and Dragons another chance...I mean they knew they made a mistake on the first one...maybe they learned from their mistakes.........
They went back to how the game is played. There was a female barbarian, a thief, an elf wizard, a clerk, and a fighter whose only special ability was being the leader, and he wasn't even good at it. Whenever they got in trouble it was usually his fault. Let me give you just one scene from the movie.
The fighter finds a dragon. They all now have to fight it. Oh no, the clerk has just been froze and eaten by the dragon. But the leader has an plan! His plan was to blow up the dragon...yes I know what you're thinking, but they do it anyway. They then find a piece of their friends leg and are sad and surprised to find their friend blown to pieces with the dragon.
September 6, 2013
Couldn't pay much attention to it, as it's rather dull, long, and slow. The characters are uninteresting and the effects are so-so. While this one is serious, the comedy of the first did make it more enjoyable, so maybe this film didn't really go in the right direction. An anticlimactic ending, and overall boring fight scenes.
April 18, 2013
At least it is better than that awful first film.