Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God Reviews

½ December 22, 2013
Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might, also known as Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God, is merely a sh*tload of waiting for the first part of the film. It manages to fall short of the entertainment value of its predecessor, even though that means it was falling short of the excessively criticised Dungeons and Dragons film. The high point of the first hour is the fact that there is excessive dramatization of a guy being slightly annoyed that he is trapped under a fallen tree.
There aren?t any dungeons or dragons for the 51 minutes, rendering the title misleading. And by the time the ice dragon graces the screen with its surprisingly decent visual effects, I no longer cared. There was way too much talking without the interesting characters or good dialogue to give it any form of interest.
It doesn?t feel like it was put together with any good intentions, even the intentions of making money. Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might lacks the spirit of its predecessor, but has the same cheap look and lack of quality. Courtney Solomon did a better job as the director of Dungeons and Dragons than Gerry Lively did of Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might, because at least Courtney Solomon had something vaguely interesting to work with, while Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might has little dragons, less dungeons and no might. Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might is absolutely abysmal.
The main problem is that Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might is excessively short on action. You're likely to find more action by reading this review of Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might than you are by watching it. It's too short I on action, dragons and Bruce Payne.
Bruce Payne still has the spirit in him, but his role and screentime is way too small. It's easy for him to steal the show, but there isn't much of a show for him to steal so it isn't much of an achievement. He's the most genial presence though.

So Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might is a terrible sequel to an unimpressive movie and squanders $10 million that Jim Jarmusch could have put to better use any day.
½ February 7, 2012
Not really much better than the first film, are you surprised?, in fact the effects are less impressive and less frequent also making the film rather dull to say the least...again would this be a surprise?.

Payne reappears in this sequel despite seemingly being killed convincingly in the first film (minus his blue lipstick) but this time he's up against a team of five challengers. These five challengers/adventurers are the most boring and unimaginative looking set I've seen in an adventure film, surprisingly female orientated the team look drab and silly yet admittedly close to D&D lore but uninspiring none the less.

The whole film is pretty dull really with nothing much happening right up until the end where there is some decent dragon action, I think D&D followers will get more of a kick out of this but newcomers will be less enthralled. I have seen worse but this isn't quite as cheesy as the first, now that must be a surprise. Nice poster art though.
October 2, 2013
it was just ok. Prefer original with Marlon Wayons.
June 9, 2007
Less popcorn entertainment than the previous film, but less "fun" because of it. But, chicks with swords. Too few films with those, so three stars.

Before Seeing: I really need see this film before I die... in fact, I suspect this to kill me.
½ September 6, 2013
Couldn't pay much attention to it, as it's rather dull, long, and slow. The characters are uninteresting and the effects are so-so. While this one is serious, the comedy of the first did make it more enjoyable, so maybe this film didn't really go in the right direction. An anticlimactic ending, and overall boring fight scenes.
½ April 18, 2013
At least it is better than that awful first film.
January 22, 2013
I really need see this film before I die... in fact, I suspect this to kill me.
December 14, 2012
the movie actually surprised me better then expected
December 7, 2012
Didn't realise there was a 2nd one awesome! Will take into consideration and maybe find to watch!
½ March 21, 2010
You have to have a good imagination for this one. Like you do when reading a book. Effects and acting could be better but I'd have to honor the writer.
½ November 24, 2012
This film should not exist. It is a terrible sequel concept, take the lame villain from the first as opposed to what made your movie good. Then make this forced sequel. I watched this on TV opening day and was so disappointed.
½ October 24, 2012
this movie was one of the best i've seen
September 3, 2012
Everything the first film failed at, this movie does well: Better story, better acting, and truer to the source material. Everything the first film did well (Special effects and visuals all around) this movie drops the ball.
May 30, 2012
This while cheesy in all aspects feel just like your watching a D&D game play out and for that it hits it target audience and isnt that bad overall.
May 27, 2012
I was disaponted that the original chractors where not in this movie, but I still liked it!
April 18, 2012
This movie is so bad I loved it. It hits the geek spot dead on and makes me want to play D&D. Its as if a bunch of cosplayers could do it for real.
½ April 15, 2012
the first one was beter
April 13, 2012
much better than the first one
½ April 3, 2012
Roll the dice, loose a turn.Thats how I felt after taking a chance with this.

Felt more like a D&D session rather than a fully imagined movie.
The appeal of a good game of D&D is that you have to imagine whats happening,and rely on the people around you to enhance the story. so turning it into merely a visual experience doesnt work, its like the entire concept is lost.

Although, there were some really cool dragons in this, which you hhave to appreciate.