• PG-13, 1 hr. 29 min.

Duplex (Our House) Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

March 13, 2013
"Alex and Nancy finally found their dream home... And then they moved in."

Duplex is a film that baffles me, much like another Danny Devito dark comedy, Death to Smoochy. He has a way with dark humor and I loved it in War of the Roses. In Duplex, it doesn't quite work all that well though. I love the premise, but it was just missing something. The old lady is a really good character, but I don't think she's used as well as she could have been. This could have been amazing.

Alex and Nancy are a happily married couple. Alex is a writer, who is currently working on his second novel. Nancy is a journalist. They find their dream home, which happens to be a Duplex. One problem though, there's an old woman living on the second floor. Alex and Nancy think she's going to die soon, so they grab the place, believing she is a sweet old woman. A lot of back and forth goes on and it turns into just another escalating bullshit driven comedy, which is sad, because I enjoyed a lot of the details put into the story, just not the character interactions.

All in all, Duplex is nothing more than an average comedy. Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore play pretty much their same film personas. I happen to like them both, but for people who aren't fans of theirs, this is definitely not one to watch. It wasn't a complete waste of time for me. It had spells that were really entertaining and hilarious, but they were too few and far between.
3niR
3niR

August 29, 2011
I really liked the old lady. She's funny and very naughty as well. Nice movie.
Lucas M

May 20, 2011
Danny DeVito with is funny black humor, don't saves Duplex, from be a rotten film. The mix of Throw Momma From the Train and Ruthless People really not made this picture funny. Rotten.
Anthony L

October 19, 2010
On the lighter side of light entertainment.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 4, 2007
our house ive seen this its quiet a good film
very funny and stupid but it can get annoying because of the old lady that lives in there house its differnatly worth a watch
Dan S

October 19, 2007
Actually didn't think it was half bad. The acting is terrible on all accounts, but I will admit I did laugh a few times.
Dean L

July 17, 2007
I give this movie 1 star (because they won't let me give it less) for being exactly what I thought it was going to be; A brainless comedy that requires none of your attention and perfect for one of those nights when you're just too tired to watch a movie that really matters. I know that sounds harsh..and it is. This movie has some funny moments, but ALL of them are painfully obvious and cliched...just like the ending of the film. The acting is on par with the "who cares" feeling of the film. The only thing that might grab your attention is the grating, horrible, annoying, anxiety producing upstairs neighbor. She is the life of the party. Ben Stiller-I adore him, but I have not seen make a decent film since Royal Tenenbaums and Drew Barrymore, while I do love her, has never really stepped outside the box in recent years. Rent this movie on a night when you just want to laugh every now and again and don't feel like paying full attention. Definitely a good movie to go to sleep to.
deano
deano

May 13, 2007
This Danny DeVito-directed movie is an average comedy about a sweet-faced little old tenant from hell who torments her yuppie landlords into plotting to kill her. Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore's talents are little wasted.
Jens S

March 3, 2007
Not a very new topic, but entertaining and with a decent portion of dark humor. It's hard not to care for how things get worse and worse, even if it's totally over the top, and the ending surprises with a (not very logical) twist. Great acting my the horrible old lady.
Jason S

December 28, 2006
A wierd and creepy movie about trying to kill an old lady.
Beefy
Beefy

November 24, 2006
Jet black comedy tries too hard to please.
Steven V

June 18, 2007
Really funny. I was suprised with a good twist making the ending funny. It may not have been the best movie but there were lots of great parts.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

June 4, 2010
Alex Rose (Ben Stiller) and Nancy Kendricks (Drew Barrymore) play the cute couple who is in search of their first perfect house, they step upon a real bargain that is just within their price range. But as with most things, getting something cheap means there's a catch. The land comes with its current tenant, a seemingly harmless little old lady. However the two soon discovers that the old lady is not as frail as it seems and proves to be a Granny from Hell making their lives miserable. As the movie develops, it shows all the possible ways in which the couple tries to get rid of the old lady, without any success. The dawning logical solution is that Mrs. Connelly has to go-permanently.
Nicolas K

March 5, 2008
Some comedies make far fetched appear really funny, others like this one just make it appear just far fetched. It does have its moments though.
Yinalí R

January 18, 2008
I really loves this movie, hilarious!
Jason S

A smart, but disappointing affair. The usually brilliant Stiller and Drew are underused in a warped plot thats lacking laughs or point.
Double.Dubs
Double.Dubs

August 25, 2009
Inane sadism, shamelessly disguised as innocent humor, that I cannot bring myself- nor do I possess the interest- to enjoy, and I can only despise those who do. A fatally misguided film that is a one-note joke, one which is not funny or clever in the first place.
Sylvester K

July 30, 2011
It's a funny piece of work by two of my favourite actors, simplistic plot but like every Ben Stiller movies, it's funny
Sunil J

January 31, 2008
Really funny. Gets old but still fun.
Lee K

February 20, 2008
so-so movie wait till it gets released on t.v.