Duran Duran: Arena Reviews

February 9, 2011
I actually watched "Classic Albums: Duran Duran" on netflix streaming but I am putting my review here. Most people that are not my age have a distain for the popular 80's music. Most people thought that this processed music had no soul and lack craftsmanship. Please watch this! Duran Duran breaks down their songs. There is a great knowledge of music, harmonies, bass lines and an experimental element of their music. Duran Duran I loved ironically.. mabey because my sister listen to them growing up. I actually really respect the bass player. He has some amazing riffs. I totally buy into it and will defend these guys now.
June 28, 2013
Not quite a concert film and not quite a sci-fi crossover act. Filmed and released during the height of Duran Duran's popularity, this concentrated bundle of self-importance tries in vain to straddle two genres and only succeeds in spoiling them both. Footage of the group on-stage during their 1984 Seven and the Ragged Tiger tour is interspersed with (and interrupted by) loud, overplayed vignettes of an invading alien force, which results in an effect similar to constant channel-flips between MTV and an episode of The Transformers. The inclusion of Milo O'Shea, reprising his role as the evil Dr. Durand Durand from the film Barbarella (source of the band's name) is a cute nod, but hardly enough to overcome the surrounding trainwreck. Even the band's performance, what little we actually get to see of it, is sub-par, as if we've caught them on the last few dates of a particularly draining tour. Die-hards and casuals alike should try to forget this one ever existed.