• R, 1 hr. 27 min.
  • Miramax Films

Eagle vs. Shark Reviews

garyX garyX
June 16, 2007
A terminally shy burger joint cashier thinks she has found her perfect boyfriend in socially inept videogame store clerk Jarrod, who is desperately trying to escape the shadow of his over-achieving dead brother in ever more unfortunate ways. Eagle Vs. Shark, as I'm sure you can tell from the DVD cover, is one of those kooky indie comedies that desperately tries to do rom-com in an "unconventional" way. Of course, all the genre has done is create a brand new set of conventions and this film ticks all the appropriate boxes. It does have a more easy-going charm to it than many of its type, possibly because of the antipodean mentality and Lily is a very difficult character to fail to warm to. The presence of Jemaine Clement from Flight Of The Conchords will be the film's main draw, but anyone expecting a carbon copy of the cult show will be disappointed. Its more a Kiwi Napoleon Dynamite homage that gently mocks the "alpha male" mentality and although hardly hilarious, it is always gently amusing and would make a fine date movie for Guardian readers.
flixsterman flixsterman
January 6, 2009
Funny and very, very sweet! Sort of a Romeo & Juliet for nerds (like me!)
Anthony L
October 1, 2009
A sweet, touching and very funny film. Jemaine Clement plays the nerd with issues really well but Loren Horsley really steals the show as Lily. Highly recommended.
Red L
½ September 29, 2009
I suppose love is blind. I don't see what Lily sees in Jarrod - to me, he is crazy whereas Lily is just awkward. But the movie is engaging. I find I was hoping they could make a go of it by the end.
Eric S
February 8, 2009
Brilliant film showcasing the comedic talent of Jermaine Clement in a tale of two socially awkward misfits looking for love in strange ways with the help of video game prowess, burgers, and revenge on high school bullies.
Not only a well executed film; but beautiful cinematography of New Zealand which enhances this mesmerizing tale of a different kind of love story.
bbcfloridabound bbcfloridabound
½ December 12, 2008
Like all the other reviews oon this one, its a copy cat movie of Napoleon Dynamite. To tell the truth I didn't enjoy it. But I guess there are a few out there that will give it 4-5 Stars. Maybe its just beyond me or I'm beyond it, I don't know. What I do know is I will not add it to my collection, even if found for $2.00
Luke B
September 25, 2008
Eagle vs. Shark is fun and sweet with loads to like. At the same time though all these things can be enjoyed from other films. Like so many of recent years the quirky humour tries too hard to be slightly odd and out there. The trick to oddball comedy is to find the right kind of balance, something both Hal Ashby and Wes Anderson were always able to do. The performances are great and have a real feel of family to them and the romance that blossoms is dealt with in a charming and cute way. The best moments were the stop-motion animations that paralleled the main story in a much more compact way.
Bannan i
July 21, 2008
Stunning in its quirky, neglected way.

***

Review TBC.

AND YES! That -is- Jerome from Flight of the Concords.
;]
Nicki M
½ February 8, 2008
Liked this one a lot more than I expected to. Cute film with likeable, weird characters. I couldn't understand what Lily saw in that... idiot... mind you, but this was surprisingly watchable and funny.
Nani V
½ June 1, 2008
It reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite. Had some funny parts.
puffchunk puffchunk
October 25, 2007
Basically New Zealand's version of Napoleon Dynamite, but picture it 10 years after high school and have him try out an adult relationship. I must have laughed out loud a hundred times, especially when the main character attempts to beat up an old high school bully in a wheelchair with nun chucks.
Tim S
½ March 31, 2008
Some hilarious parts and it got to the pussy side of me as well with the romance.
DrBenway DrBenway
March 30, 2008
This is the simple, often-told story of "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl." involving Meaty Boy Burger's gawkiest employee who falls for a charmless moron. Lily and Jarrod make the silliest screen couple and yet I root for them. Would've given an extra star had it not been for the feeling of forced-indie which only made it seem more familiar. You'll pick up the similarities.

There are hilariously awkward moments making it a cut above most romantic-comedies. You'll either enjoy the actors' droll line readings and the all around quirky cuteness or simply groan from moment one onward. I enjoyed it.
Chiefilms Chiefilms
March 14, 2008
Saw this film expecting to see something as funny as "Flight of the Conchords", the movie is directed by a director of two FOC episodes and has Jemaine. The director uses similar techniques from those episodes in this film. Jemaine is obviously the best part, and in my opinion is the only funny person in the film, great lines and randomness. Leading actress not so good. Overall film Very New Zealandy.
Beefy Beefy
June 11, 2007
Enjoyable, quirky, and quite slight. Would have rated higher if she wouldn't have been such a doormat and he had been more sympathetic.
PantaOz PantaOz
September 1, 2013
A funny New Zealand romantic comedy directed by Taika Waititi waited 6 years to be seen by me! What a shame I didn't have a chance to see it in a cinema. But even on a small screen this film financed by the New Zealand Film Commission which had its world premiere at Sundance in the World Cinema Dramatic section of the festival , was impressive to watch. And to listen as well because the soundtrack features New Zealand artists The Phoenix Foundation, Age Pryor, The Reduction Agents, and Tessa Rain, along with M. Ward, Devendra Banhart and British group The Stone Roses.

The story of two (or more) nerds was put together so well, that sometimes I wanted to become a nerd myself... Lily (Loren Horsley), a shy, wistful girl, is a songwriter when no one is listening. She got a job at a local fast food restaurant and has a crush on of the customers - Jarrod (Jemaine Clement), a geek who works in a video game store. Jarrod doesn't even notice her nd he has his eyes glued to Lily's workmate, Jenny. With Jenny not at work one day, Jarrod gives Lily an invitation to his "dress as your favourite animal" party to pass along to her, but Jenny crumples it up and throws it away upon receiving it. Lily retrieves it from the trash... and things start happening!

The film's script was a result of the Sundance Film Festival Director's and Screenwriter's Labs workshops in June 2005. The film was shot entirely in New Zealand, in and around Wellington and Porirua, during 25 days in October and November 2005 with a crew of 35 workers. One of the things I really liked in this movie were the segments done in stop motion - utilizing both props and actors.

Most of the critics in their reviews were comparing this film with Napoleon Dynamite but to me this New Zealand creation had its own distinctive style mainly due to above mentioned animated segments and the emotional honesty. partialy thanks to whimsical little interludes of animation, but mainly because it ties blithe absurdity to a rock bed of emotional truth.
Sean G
October 15, 2010
Watch it for free on online ;)
Not as good as Napoleon Dynamite or Gentlemen Broncos, but it still had that quirky humor that I love.
It starts out with much more promise before that go on a road trip to his hometown. Kind of a let down after that.
Brantastic16 Brantastic16
August 31, 2010
At first, I was in love with this film. It was quirky with the kind of awkward, subtle humor that Napoleon Dynamite has. However, around 30-45 minutes in, it started to fall apart. The second half of Eagle Vs Shark was very dull and seemed to drag on. The humor became practically nonexistant as well. Overall, it was a good movie and the beginning half made up for the second half.
Laura C
December 1, 2009
Quite liked this one. Absolutely up my alley- slice of life with quirky characters. I picked it up because Jemaine Clement is in it, who I love from Flight of the Conchords.
And he's great but I actually kind of fell in love with Loren Horsley's character, Lily. She is so sweet and genuine. I love the way she looks at the world.
There were some very poignant moments which I didn't really expect. Some of the relationships in this film are so well depicted thanks to great writing and acting. I especially loved the relationship between Lily and her brother.
Also loved the aesthetic of the film; great claymation segments, art direction and costumes. And I have never seen a town with so many murals!