Early Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Early Summer Reviews

½ December 29, 2007
Ayako and I had a discussion about what the Japanese title "Bakushu" means - she thought it should signify "beer" and some homework reveals that the correct translation is probably "The Barley-Harvest Season" rather than "Early Summer". I'm not quite sure what is being harvested - possibly Noriko (played by Ozu regular Setsuko Hara) who is being urged to marry because at 28 she is at risk of becoming an old maid. However, Noriko is a modern post-war Japanese woman who wants to make up her own mind. However, her boss and her family conspire to match her with a rich (though 12 years older) businessman - who we never meet. Indeed, Ozu very playfully includes numerous ellipses in the plot, never quite allowing us enough information to expect Noriko's ultimate decision. Although it comes as a surprise, this decision may actually have had a basis in experiences not shown in the film - that is, Noriko does spend offscreen time with her eventual husband, perhaps a considerable amount of time (and late in the film, some potentially pivotal time searching for her missing nephews with him). As usual, Ozu also disorients the viewer with his camerawork, often cutting in ways that are distinctly different from the invisible Hollywood style that we know and sometimes from one place to another without warning. His usual counterpoints are here: traditional Japan vs. modern Japan, male vs. female, old vs. young, city vs. countryside - but they are used subtly to tell a story about the complexity of families (across three generations) and their sad but inevitable dissolution.
½ January 10, 2014
While its one of Ozu's more lighthearted works, it is still a powerful take on the subject of marriage, the family, and the post-war western influence on Japan.
February 19, 2013
I've said it before, & I'll say again; nobody creates more beautiful pictures than Ozu. They're like living poems. They might be the best films about family ever made.

I'm not sure where I rank it in Ozu's Noriko trilogy; but for it to even compare to the other two is an accomplishment. Setsuko Hara may be my favorite actress of all time. The ending is especially powerfully moving.
The only issue is the same one I had with 'Late Spring' -- the dearth of scenes of Noriko with her love interest. I'd have preferred more.

Flixster reviewers are awful. Stupid assumptions based on looking at everything through a narrow, myopic PC lens. Beat it.
½ June 4, 2013
Tuesday, June 4, 2013

(1951) Early Summer
(In Japanese with English subtitles)
DRAMA

Co-written and directed by Yasujir˘ Ozu which has showcased something I don't see too often in drama movies, and that is to allow the daughter to have a choice who she wants to marry despite the family being slightly objectionable. The poster is an introduction to the family in question which has single daughter living with her grandparents in the same house as her brother and his wife with two sons. Currently, they're many films which always have a single mother looking for another companionship or spouse such as "Jerry McGuire", "Alice Doesn't Live here Anymore", and "Murphy's Romance" to name a few... here is one movie in which the roles are reversed and is uncustomary to what anyone is used to seeing, and it's handled quite well since it looked like another one of Ozu's popular arrange marriage movies again. I was quite relieved to see that it wasn't.

3.5 out of 4 stars
May 29, 2013
This movie is an interesting historic relic of a place and time, Japan in 1950. The war is over. The country has mostly gotten back to normal. Normal though is relative; it's the midpoint of the 20th century and life is changing.

The story is centered around an extended family and their acquaintances, especially the 28 year old unmarried daughter. It features the small dramas of normal lives.

The only question I have is why the grandparents moved to what appeared to be Japan's equivalent of Kansas. There's nothing wrong with Kansas, but if you live comfortably in a big house with your extended family in Tokyo, what attraction is there to live out the rest of your years in the middle of nowhere?

On a related note, I had been pondering green screen in movie making shortly before watching this movie. Well actually I started watching the movie and then got thinking about green screen by the time I came back to watch the rest of it. The beach scene at the end is green screen. I only mention this because I find it interesting how the tricks and techniques of story telling through movie making were already international by then. I wish I had been watching with green screen in mind from the beginning of the movie.
May 13, 2013
If you've seen one Ozu film, you probably have the drift of his austere, quiet style, and you don't need my recommendation. If you haven't, take a chance.
February 9, 2013
I really like Late Spring so I am surprised that I wasn't anywhere near engaged by the middle part of the 'Noriko' trilogy. Perhaps Ozu is the kind of director that one has to be in the 'mood' for, this is at times achingly slow and while the same could be said for Late Spring I didn't feel the same connection to the story this time around. Next stop Tokyo Story and hopefully a strong finale.
January 18, 2013
Another masterwork from legendary director Ozu about postwar life in Kamakura and its people.
October 31, 2012
Japanese cinema's master makes Japanese cinema's masterpieces, and Early Summer is one of them.
September 27, 2012
The least of Ozu's trilogy starring Setsuko Hara-partly because its plot is so similar to "Late Spring"-but it's still arresting in its dramatic moments, and the heroine's speech about her choice of spouse is thought-provoking.
½ September 21, 2012
Next to Tokyo Story this is my favourite Ozu film - an understated look at the changes going on around him.
November 21, 2009
True masterpieces are those which don't let audiences check their watches but let them wish to share times with the characters forever, and this is definitely one of them.
April 12, 2012
Another understated masterpiece from one the greatest directors of all time.
½ November 25, 2011
The simplest of film directors.
½ November 13, 2011
When People Give It to Us, We Will Have Cake

In Ozu's world, the cake is not a lie. The cake is, as in "MacArthur Park," a metaphor, but this is actually a good and worthwhile metaphor. For one thing, cake as it appears here is a Western import. There are various sweets in Japanese tradition, but that isn't what they're eating here. Frankly, I'm not sure baking is a real Japanese traditional cooking method, though I must confess to a general lack of interest in Japanese cuisine. (I don't like fish or vegetables, so a lot of Asian food is right out for me.) This is also an extremely elaborate cake, by the look of it, and not a cheap one, by the reactions of various characters to the price. This is not cake for every day consumption. If you are not going to be marrying a rich man, you are not going to get to have this cake very often. But there's cake now, and who knows? Maybe there will be cake again, and if not, there's the memory of cake!

Noriko Mamiya (Setsuko Hara) is another one of those women in Ozu films who are being pressured by their families to marry. She is twenty-eight, so they think it's high time. She's not as determined as they are, being perfectly content to live with her brother (Chishű Ryű) and sister-in-law (Kuniko Miyake) and her parents (Ichir˘ Sugai and Chieko Higashiyama). However, her boss (Shűji Sano) has a friend who's looking for a wife. Word gets out, and the family decides that Noriko will marry him. Half of Noriko's friends are married, and they're in a sort of battle of wits with the unmarried half; it's clear which group thinks she should marry this total stranger. She is also friends with Kenkichi Yabe (Hiroshi Nihon'yanagi), who had been friends with another brother of hers before the war; that brother was killed. Yabe is himself a widower and doctor who works at the same hospital with Koichi, the living brother. When Yabe is offered a good job at a far-off hospital, his mother (Haruko Sugimura) asks Noriko to marry her son and come north with them.

Now, in an American film of the same era, the family would be thrilled to bits that Noriko had sorted her problem on her own--and, of course, the Americans of that era would also see an unmarried twenty-eight-year-old woman as a problem. But of course the extended Mamiya family was not consulted by Noriko before she agreed to marry Yabe. It's true that he's a long-time friend of the family, but that doesn't mean they think he deserves to be allowed to marry Noriko. Especially given that Koichi has just gotten him a job in a total backwater. Everyone says it will only be a few years, and then they'll be back to Tokyo, but of course there's no guarantee of that. Besides, the reason he agreed to take the position was that it was a better opportunity for advancement than he'd seen in many a year. Opportunities in Tokyo will probably open again when he gets back, but there's that "probably" again.

It is also true that this was a Japan in conflict, though not the one in which Noriko's brother died. The influence of the Americans was changing Japanese culture from things which had been the same for literally thousands of years, some of it. Everyone expected Noriko to want a modern, Western home and marriage, but they seem rather taken aback by the idea that she would be Western enough to want to choose her own husband without help. Yes, all right, she accepted an arranged marriage to the extent that she was willing to be asked by the man's husband, but that was as much a case of who had the nerve and who didn't as anything else. I have only seen a very few of the films of Yasujir˘ Ozu, probably the second-best-known of Japanese filmmakers, but it seems what he excelled at was quiet slices of ordinary Japanese life, and I think in particular he worked with people dealing with the incredible changes that the twentieth century brought to his native land.

As always, of course, any film in which Japanese women are getting married reminds me of my college days and my friends stuck in Alternative Calendars, who spent more time on the subject than they had any reason to have expected. Probably the sheer frustration they would have had with the subject matter would have meant that they would not have had the slightest interest in the film. However, if they did watch it in class, it might also have been a welcome relief. Ozu is not as flashy as Akira Kurosawa, it's true. However, as you may have noticed, a lot of my favourite Kurosawa films aren't anywhere near as flashy as the films people think of when they think Kurosawa. Not that even [i]Seven Samurai[/i] is all that flashy. I think, on further consideration, that the art of Japanese film, at least in the middle of the twentieth century, had to do with doing a lot with a little. Even Kurosawa never really got as much cake as you'd think, given how famous he is, and Ozu got even less cake than Kurosawa.
June 5, 2011
EARLY SUMMER is directed with tenderness by Yasujiro Ozu. It's a quiet family drama that has characters we can relate to and care for. It doesn't matter if one wasn't alive in the early 50's or if you are even japanese. The themes here are universal. The central character of the film is Noriko. She is a modern woman. She holds a job, goes out with friends and speaks her mind. Her family is concerned about her marriage and soon they find what they think is a perfect match. Her family and friends think they know whats best for her and but we soon find out that no one understands what she wants and needs better than herself. She clashes with her family over her decisions. Her parents state how her way of thinking is something they cannot understand. The clash of the old with the new is never a harsh one in this film. The elder members of the family are content with life as it is and don't ask for too much. The younger ones respect them but they must move forward as everything else in life does. The film slowly builds with each scene creating a very touching portrait of this family. Each little detail of ordinary, everyday living is beautifully shot. There's lots of memorable moments and I especially loved all the performances. Setsuko Hara as Noriko is wonderful. She brings alot of subtle touches to her performance that will surely reward with each viewing of the film. Overall, it's a beautiful film about life and family that has universal appeal.
May 22, 2011
Revisiting Ozu, as I do fairly frequently, is of course always a relief from current frenetic visual styles, as well as a bittersweet glimpse into a world quite gone - that of the traditional Japanese family. And this director's "less is more" approach to every facet of the business is always a vivid reminder of how vapid and self-congratulatory are the excessive gestures of, say, a Quentin Tarentino - whose work I will NOT be revisiting with any frequency at all.
April 27, 2011
It seems bland on the surface, but this is an engrossing movie about a family and their daughter's marriage.
February 14, 2011
In Late spring you see a Japan that is nearing it's end, in Early Summer you start to see a new Japan, a new way of thinking, a new way of living. This is shown through the cultural clashes and the western influences on the role of the woman. What Early Summer achieves the most though, is the ultimate feeling of contentment by the elder family members, they see that traditionally speaking, traditions change and it's beautifully but subtly done.
November 26, 2010
Ugh! Can we say tragic?! Can we say sad?! Can we say wonderful?! I loved this and I can't even put it into words how great it is! Just look at the family portrait- that's how perfect it is! I feel sad talking about it!

I LOVE Setsuko Hara!