Easter Parade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Easter Parade Reviews

½ August 8, 2010
Another great Irving Berlin musical, with some superior talent in Astaire and Garland. The only thing that I am worrisome over is the entire concept that this movie ties in with the Easter Parade, when in fact it's barely mentioned.
June 9, 2008
Okay, seriously, Fred Astaire - who are you kidding picking Judy Garland over Ann Miller? No man in his right mind would ever reject the always charming Ann Miller after that dazzling tap number for that lame-o tramp (and by tramp I mean bum, not slut) routine. Nevertheless, this was solid. The songs are great, Judy Garland's vibrato voice always works for her, and Fred Astaire taps dat off the walls! It's a delightful confection. Like eating an Easter candy.
April 4, 2007
too good to watch only at easter
June 11, 2006
Gotta love a great musical, with the best two actors/musicians/dancers of their time.
½ May 4, 2007
The "u" really makes the word "beautiful" beautiful. Aesthetically and phonetically, without it it's almost infantile, sounding fairly hideous and encumbering any original meaning, instead resulting in what reminds me of a bad vegetable. Beatifl. Just...no.

So, here's to you, "u"!

[This entry brought to you by Friday's Most Glaring Work Typo, and the letter "U"]

[size=1][This entry was definitely not edited.][/size]
½ February 24, 2010
Colorful and upbeat. Judy Garland and Fred Astaire together is a film lover's delight. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
August 26, 2013
Fun, bubbly movie featuring two great talents. Enjoyable little musical, even if the musical numbers aren't the most memorable. The movie makes a huge mistake though; near the end it gives the (supposedly) 2nd string Ann Miller the better musical numbers, and give Garland and Astaire only one musical number together, "A couple of swells." A terrible number to portray Astaire and Garland's couple dance chemistry. And Garland's character is supposed to fall totally in love with Astaire though their dancing, but we the audience never really get to see it portrayed through the movie - mostly we're just told. There's no questioning their individual talent, and together Garland and Astaire should be a great all-time dance couple; but the movie really fails to showcase their talent together. I guess I blame the musical numbers; Ann Miller surprising gets the best dance numbers, and none of the music is very memorable, and while the dancing displayed is very good, none of it is top notch. Despite these flaws, Easter Parade is probably the best of the musicals I've been watching lately; it's not a favorite genre of mine (a lot of the stories are too hokey), but I think I can watch anything with either Astaire or Garland in it. Their personalities are able to elevate the material that's given to them, in Easter Parade and also pretty much in every movie of theirs that I've seen.
½ March 31, 2013
I can watch Fred Astaire dance all day. It's a shame that he and Judy Garland only worked this one time, because the two are very charming together. The dance numbers are what you would expect from Fred Astaire and once again, Ann Miller steals the show. A delight to watch with some great tunes from Irving Berlin.

Grade: B+
June 3, 2011
Great Movie, Little Known Fact: Liza Minn
elli was The Little Girl Walking in the Easter Parade With them at the End of the Movie
½ June 21, 2008
This is a great movie classic

Don Hewes and Nadine Hale are a dancing team, but she decides to start a career on her own. So he takes the next dancer he meets, Hannah Brown, as a new partner. After a while this new team is so succ...( read more read more... )essful, that Florence Ziegfeld is interested in them, but due to the fact, that Nadine Hale dances also in the Ziegfeld Follies Don says no. Inspite of the fact, that he is in love with Hannah, he keeps the relation to her strictly business. So Hannah is of the opinion, that he is still in love with Nadine, and her suspicion grows, when he dances with Nadine in a Night ClubFloor Show.
November 4, 2008
It is funny how Judy Garlands character Nadine Hale has trouble remembering her left leg from her right leg! She has to wear a garder constantly so she wont forget when she has to dance.
October 7, 2008
Now that's what My Fair Lady should have been.

For those of you who haven't read my My Fair Lady review or simply don't remember it, I had some real concerns about Rex Harrison and the way that the story plays out. I always felt that the relationship between Eliza and Higgins was always a bit forced and he never really loved her more than he loved himself. The happy ending in that one seemed necessary, yet horribly tacked on. This really isn't the case with Fred Astaire and Judy Garland. This relationship, although unlikely at the beginning, really naturally builds and evolves. What starts off as a playful vengeance turns into a very fruitful relationship for the pair and I think that is absolutely fantastic.

I have to stress how much more I love Fred Astaire over Rex Harrison. Rex Harrison was a character actor who had to character sing throughout the film. His dancing was subpar if present at all. On the other hand, I love Fred Astaire in pretty much everything he does, down to his guest appearance on Battlestar Galactica as Starbuck's father. Yeah, I went there. Astaire has this very cool charm, regarless of the period of his career that he is in. I watched Top Hat and The Gay Divorcee fairly recently and that was before he retired from the screen for the first time. That was a period that really was matched for him. He was a young man with a boatload of talent across from his equal, Ginger Rogers. Easter Parade is part of his comeback period, where Astaire is clearly a bit older than Judy Garland, which normally makes the relationship very awkward and distant. But Astaire, despite his older appearance, always seems much more youthful of a personality and has the charm of a much younger man. His physical age, while usually adressed, is secondary to the fact that there is a definite chemistry between the two. This film proves no different.

There's one dance that really gets me going. Astaire is the kind of guy who makes you really want to learn how to do the things he does. I thought at one point, "How nifty it would be just to go into a toy store and tap dance the night away." That toy store dance, while perhaps not among the most impressive routines that he's ever accomplished, showed this sophistication and fun that just made me envy the man. I love the fact that this sequence practically opens the film. He also plays marvelously in a duet with Garland, who really holds her own. I think I will always have a place in my heart for Ginger Rogers, but Garland really does some absolutely terrific stuff with Astaire. I guess the famous image is from the hobo dance, but I really must stress how fun some of the gags they have are.

A lot of the dance numbers have little to do with the actual plot. The plot continues in the story, but there are a great deal of times that the audience is actually treated like a theatre patron who has great seats. We know all the drama and love that is going throughout the story, but we take a break from their personal lives to catch a glimpse of their act and that refreshes us for the followup that is bound to make us reach for a hankie and sign up for tap lessons.

I can't say that Easter Parade is the perfect musical. It has its faults. The main reason is the lack of truly memorable music, but the story itself is fun and the chemistry and spectacle are bar-none some of the best stuff that Hollywood had to offer in the immediate post-war. This is a great, light film that almost embarasses My Fair Lady. Sure, I love Audrey Hepburn, but this is just a better film.
December 15, 2007
One of the happiest musicals ever made. Gene Kelly was original cast in Fred Astaire's part, but (no offense to Gene fans), I'm glad Astaire got it. Cyd Charisse injured her leg so she was replaced by Ann Miller as Astaire's self-centered ex-fiancee, but Miller does an excellent job as well. Judy Garland gets to show off her incredible vocal talent and shares some excellent numbers with Astaire. I loved it!
½ July 14, 2007
This is one of my favorite musicals of all-time. The music in this film is almost unparalled and the cast is incredibly talented in working with the classic Berlin score. I'm not a Judy Garland fan by any streatch, but she is quite good in this film. Astaire is great, as always. I also love seeing a very young Peter Lawford in his pre-Kennedy, pre-Rat Pack years. One of the great musicals!
½ August 1, 2007
Fred Astaire is a Broadway dancer trying to forget about his ex-partner while he finds new fame with his new one, Judy Garland. A great song and dance film.
July 6, 2007
Great musical featuring the works of Irving Berlin, and the talents of the legendary Fred Astaire and Judy Garland.
June 19, 2007
Fred Astaire was okay in this. They should have waited for Gene's ankle to heal. I just don't think Fred and Judy had much chemistry. One reason being he was much, much older than her. Still I loved it and have to give it high marks.
½ May 2, 2007
another great Fred Astaire dance scene!
he's dancing in slow motion and the background dancers are in real time. very cool!
March 1, 2007
Best dancing and singing. I love everything about this beautiful movie. The beginning dance sequence with Astaire is without comparison.
½ February 1, 2007
A classic Judy Garland, Fred Astair with the wonderful Easter Parade of old with the beautiful hats and dresses