• PG-13, 2 hr. 13 min.

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Eat Pray Love Reviews

Nicki M

February 8, 2011
Not as bad as I expected, but still pretty missable. I found the book the same way. I pretty much used this as background noise while I did housework. I missed bits, but it was excessively long and not all of it was terribly interesting.
I didn't hate Liz, though, as others seem to. Not everyone has the same idea of a satisfying life. Yes, her husband was fine, but they were not suited. It doesn't make Liz a bad or shallow person because she recognised this and was honest instead of dragging it out and them both feeling miserable.
Some of the travel bits were enjoyable. The food in Italy looked delicious and I enjoyed her friendship with the young Indian girl.
Film had really lost me by the "love" part - I didn't buy Julia and Javier as a couple at all.
Carlos M

December 25, 2010
Even if Julia Roberts is adorable and the stunning sceneries will probably make you want to go backpacking around the world, this movie clearly should have been better edited, since it is too long for a romantic drama and does not have what it takes to keep our interest for all this time.
Anthony L

January 3, 2012
Either Elizabeth Gilbert didn't actually go to Italy/Bali/India or she's been a little 'creative' with the truth. It's fair to say she's not exactly your archetype backpacker. She probably did go to these countries but had a crap time so made up the rest, she obviously as rich as she is vacuous, egotistical and thoroughly unlikable - Julia Roberts being well cast then! Boring, stupid, horrible. Who is this crap for, bored housewives? Do me a favour, intelligent thinking my arse!
Lady D

September 25, 2011
A film I've been eagerly anticipating. I'm not a huge fan of Julia Roberts, or of Romantic Dramas in general, but for me, it was the travelling and spiritual journey which was of great interest and is an enlightening true tale.

This, I'm sure, will be the first of many watches.
Rubia

September 25, 2011

I mean, here I am with a ninth-generation medicine man and what do I wanna ask him about? Getting closer to God? Saving the world's starving children? Nope. I wanna discuss my relationship.

And then it happened. After months with the borrowed DVD "in hands", I watched it. Thereīre moments in our life, or nothing but random Friday nights, where the never happens. Not that I have said I would never watch it, but I had not even the slightest desire to do it. Last Friday, I did.

The whole thing is that Eat Pray Love is not that bad as I expected and thatīs the reason why I am here writing. The film itself is as foreseeable and poor as you can imagine - specially if you are Brazilian or knows the sonority of our Portuguese that well that Javier Bardemīs accent makes you want to kill Francine Maisler, the casting director - but, and maybe thatīs just me, thereīre good things you can get of it. Iīve been in a sort of inner journey as never before, so how and what called my attention, might have not the same effect on you. Also, I am pretty sure all its glories come from Elizabeth Gilbertīs book, so if you read it, what I didnīt, I am afraid that the film can be a null experience.

I have a friend, Deborah, a psychologist who was asked by the city of Philadelphia if she could offer psychological counseling to Cambodian refugees, boat people who had recently arrived in the city. Deborah was daunted by the task. These Cambodians had suffered genocide, starvation, relatives murdered before their eyes, years in refugee camps, harrowing boat trips to the West. How could she relate to their suffering? How could she help these people? So guess what all these people wanted to talk about with my friend Deborah, the psychologist. It was all īI met this guy in the refugee camp. I thought he really loved me... What should I do? I still love him.

Yes, this is how we are. Menschliches, Allzumenschliches. What I really like about Gilbertīs journey is how true it is. True in all its meanings. Itīs easy to adopt concepts and to mouth slogans like the "The Physics of the Quest" as itīs easy to goes after a "searching for something" that, actually, covers an escapism. I donīt think Liz was in search of herself or a meaning, but escaping from herself, what can be seen in how she easily jumped into a relationship to another only changing the "costume", adapting herself to the "new" situation. How many times do we do that and not even in the relationship field? From being completely consumed with being the perfect wife and cook, fed up, instead of creating a real change, we only replace the "object" to chanting and meditation, fishing or whatever? Thatīs all part of a non conscious state. Sometimes itīs clearly visible to others, except to us, like Lizīs friendīs husband noticing how she looked like Stephen, the ex-husband, and now kind of look like David, the new boyfriend.
"What I meant was, you know how people start resembling their dogs?" We can see amounts of this everywhere. Today I like politics, tomorrow, depending on the group or person I am with, I become vegetarian. We may think we did change inside, but we end up modificating nothing but the outside: statements, vocabulary, clothes. Even if the points of view are not the same anymore, they are probably reflections of something else, as volatiles as the air.

- I'm falling in love with you.
- I'm not who you think I am. I'm just your fantasy.
- No, that's bullshit. You're real.
- Here's what he doesn't know yet. I disappear into the person I love. I am the permeable membrane. If I love you, you can have it all. My money, my time, my body, my dog, my dog's money. I will assume your debts and project upon you all sorts of nifty qualities you've never actually cultivated in yourself. I will give you all this and more...until I am so exhausted and depleted the only way I can recover is by becoming infatuated with someone else.

You know, if you could clear out all that space in your mind that you're using to obsess over whatever it be, you'd have a vacuum with a doorway. It may not be a doorway, but if a film makes you think, and it doesnīt matter if it was made to entertain, thatīs already something. (two and a half stars because of that)

murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
All this film did was make me hungry and slightly happy at the fact it was such a nice ending. Also, James Franco made a cameo and he is absolutely gorgeous. Probably the only reason it got half of a star added on.
Alexis N

July 20, 2010
This was a great, heartfelt story about love, life, food and all the adventures we take and we are forced to take in our lives. I really liked it.
Cynthia S

September 5, 2010
I almost turned this off several times, but for some reason I kept trudging through. FINALLY, when Xavier Bardem appeared I found myself smiling alot...but only because of him. Otherwise though, this movie just seemed to drag on and on. Thankyou to Xavier for making me not dislike the movie by the time it wrapped up...
Jennifer X

April 30, 2011
One star for the bowl of spaghetti, no stars for the hopelessly stupid, overly pretentious, languishing, lazy, cultural supremacist main character Liz Gilbert.
Raymond W

September 19, 2010
Beautifully shot in Italy, India and Bali, Eat Pray Love's run time is a little long, but it's very inspirational and resonant as I was able to connect to the main character. I really enjoyed the supporting people in the film, especially the Balinese Medicine man and the old italian woman. For some people though, Eat Pray Love will be boring.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 3, 2011
I was so hoping I would hate this movie, because it was just one of those movies that look bad. But to my surprise Julia Roberts did a phenomenal job, true there are parts that are cliche and dumb, but overall its a solid film and Julia Roberts needed more recognition at the oscars, a very sweet hearted film.
Spencer S

July 17, 2010
This films begs the ultimate question: did this really need to be made? Did precious man hours on set have to happen in order to make another soapy film about letting go of the past, embracing the future, and finding love again? As a fan of the book and being the target audience for this flick, I was keen to watch this epic two and a half hour flick, set in three amazingly visual settings (Italy, India, and Indonesia), with great camera work and cinematography. The only thing that remains memorable is the performance of Richard Jenkins, who can handle being rough, cool, quirky, or grumpy with ease. Roberts plays herself, Franco is grasping for straws, and Bardem's principle goal is to speak with an accent and have facial hair. Very disappointing.
Michael S

March 16, 2011
I hated "Eat Pray Love." I know I'm not exactly the target audience... but come on this film is weak and extremely unlikable no matter what way you look at it. I'm not against chick-flicks ("Love Actually" is one of my all-time favorites)... but I am against bad movies and this is one.
Red L

February 20, 2011
I enjoyed the book, but I much preferred the images the book created in my head than the ones I saw on the screen
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

November 18, 2010
I must say at first I really was not interested in this movie at all - it did not possess anything that I wanted to see. However once the first hour of monotony is down and the textbook cliches are almost dead, I found the last half of the movie enjoyable. Julia Roberts irritates me at the best times and I cannot say now that my opinion has changed but it was nice to see her playing alongside some of my favorite actors such as Javier Bardem and Billy Crudup, who I greatly admire.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

March 24, 2010
More than anything else, I love this films rating: "PG 13 for Brief Strong Language, Some Sexual References, and Male Rear Nudity." Especially that last bit. What happened to "brief nudity" or "partial nudity" or even just plain old "nudity"? Apparently, there's something particularly offensive about "Male Rears" Oh well, at least that way everyone knows that as Julia Roberts eats, prays, and loves her way around the world, there will be a male bum to ogle somewhere along the line. As for the rest of the film, I kind of thought that it sucked; but everyone else has already sufficiently hit upon the how's and why's of that. It's really pleasantly visually, but it just tries too hard to be cultured. It just seemed too obvious and shallow about how it portrayed the customs and social norms of the places she was visiting. It's sort of like a glorified travel guide. The best thing I can say is that by and large the film is watchable as a whole; I didn't think it was ever going to end and overall it's pretty tepid, at best, but there are compensations, it's rather pretty and then there's also that 'Male Rear'
Summer W

August 9, 2010
It was a relatively faithful adaptation, but the film fails to capture the same narrative flow as the book, which I loved. Richard Jenkins delivers a particularly exceptional performance. I enjoyed the movie well enough, but I couldn't love EAT PRAY LOVE, no matter how much I wanted to.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

August 16, 2010
Elizabeth Gilbert is an amazing woman. She is a very talented writer and speaker and her memoir, Eat Pray Love, is full of wisdom. Now, memoirs should never be movies, especially ones that double as travelogues, like this one does. In it's translation to narrative cinema most of the books charm, compassion and emotion go missing. Julia Roberts rendition of Gilbert is very far from the real life woman. But, this is a film after all, and a totally different medium so let me distance myself from the source material. As a film, nothing more, it's beautiful to look at, Roberts can be charming, and it's never boring. The director's cut adds much needed exposition in New York City and elongates the Bali segment, making the films ending much more emotional. Flawed and episodic for sure, but there are certainly worse films around. If you are a fan of the book, you will be disappointed, there is no way around it.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

August 17, 2010
Fantastic film! This was one great movie with superb roles by Julia Roberts and everyone in between. One of the best of this year 2010. Perfect ending to a wonderful film!

Liz Gilbert (Roberts) had everything a modern woman is supposed to dream of having - a husband, a house, a successful career - yet like so many others, she found herself lost, confused, and searching for what she really wanted in life. Newly divorced and at a crossroads, Gilbert steps out of her comfort zone, risking everything to change her life, embarking on a journey around the world that becomes a quest for self-discovery. In her travels, she discovers the true pleasure of nourishment by eating in Italy; the power of prayer in India, and, finally and unexpectedly, the inner peace and balance of true love in Bali.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 25, 2010
Cast: Julia Roberts, James Franco, Viola Davis, Javier Bardem, Billy Crudup, Richard Jenkins, Hadi Subiyanto, Tuva Novotny, Luca Argentero, Mike O'Malley, Giuseppe Gandini, Christine Hakim, Anakia Lapae, Arlene Tur, Lidia Biondi, Elena Arvigo

Director: Ryan Murphy

Summary: Julia Roberts stars in this adaptation of Elizabeth Gilbert's best-selling memoir about coping with a depressing divorce. After deciding to reshape her life, Liz (Roberts) travels the world in search of direction. She heads to Italy, India and Bali, indulging in delicious cuisine while seeking the true meaning of self-love, family, friendship and forgiveness. Along the way, she meets a bevy of characters and, possibly, her true love.

My Thoughts: "Not everyone will like this film. I happen to be one that does. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Julia Roberts is a favorite of mine. She shines in any character she portrays. I haven't read the book, but I plan to pick it up tomorrow. I just thought Liz had so much courage to leave a marriage she knew was a mistake, instead of staying and being unhappy like so many do. Then more courage by leaving everyone behind and going alone on this journey to not only finding oneself, but healing and forgiving yourself for things you cannot change or control. I found Richard Jenkins to be my favorite character she meets along her way. He gives it to her straight and honest. His story was sad and emotional. You felt his pain. I thought Richard Jenkins was absolutely great in this. The story is inspiring to all of us who have been or are in the position she had been in. I think most men would shy away from this film since it is female driven. But I think it's one to be seen. I loved it. But like I stated early on, not all will like this film."