47% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Eddie Murphy Raw Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

March 5, 2013
Eddie Murphy: I'm sadistic. I go to the supermarkets to watch mothers lose it and beat the shit out of their kids.

"Catch him in the act. Uncensored Uncut Irresistibly..."

Eddie Murphy Raw is classic Eddie Murphy. It's a standup concert filmed live in New York, where Murphy does his usual sex jokes and impersonations. Overall, the movie is a good time and has plenty of hilarious moments. I'm not going to go out on the ledge and say that this is the best standup I've ever seen or that Eddie Murphy is the best comedian ever, but he is very good. He has a stars presence on stage just as he does on the screen.

I guess there could be plenty of reasons to not like Raw if you don't want to. The jokes may be tasteless, immoral, obscene, and whatever else you want to call them; but their also good. This isn't something you'd want to show to your 11 year old son or daughter, but for adults, this comedy works and it works because of Murphy's confidence in what he's saying.

As far as these stand-up movies go, Eddie Murphy Raw is a classic. Murphy has influenced many comedians with his fast talking, hyper paced shows. He knows what will make people laugh and he executes his jokes perfectly. Well worth a look if you think classic Murphy is funny.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

May 2, 2007
I miss this Eddie Murphy.
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 31, 2009
Extremely vulgar (it holds the record for most f-bombs in a film from the 1980's), but extremely hilarious, insightful, and entertaining as well. I miss the old Eddie Murphy. This films is a great reminder of how brilliant and funny he once was. It's definitely worth watching.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 28, 2007
i love his movie but this was just too over the top. his stand up is too offensive for my taste.
Cindy I

May 21, 2007
I saw this live in concert back in the 80's. It was considered outrageous then. Probably wouldn't be such a big deal now.
Jason S

February 16, 2007
This was Eddie in his prime.
nuheart
nuheart

January 6, 2007
Call me crazy, I don't think Eddie's stand-up is all that funny. At least not as funny as his pants.
kpn666
kpn666

July 3, 2006
Heyy - the guys a comedian - so who cares if he is insensitive, rude and raw?? hes funny as!! I mean - no one can be a comedian without insulting someone else - lolz!!
Sean G

September 9, 2010
One of my ALL time favorite stand-ups. This is Eddie Murphy during his prime, just about to make Coming To America. His cocky-ness makes me want to like "Delirious" just a tad more, but perfect is hard to improve upon.
DrLappos
DrLappos

June 1, 2007
His latest attempts have been little but total flops but as a stand up Murphy was fantastic. If you arent a fan of swearing steer clear.
iLeo
iLeo

April 16, 2007
Great! A favorite of mine.
Lee K

February 14, 2008
Very funny movie that makes me wish thatmurphy was still doing stand up he was soo good at it
MovieGuruDude72
June 19, 2007
His best standup movie and the movie that opened the door for all the foul-mouthed black comics out there.
brandankurtis
December 25, 2010
goes without saying that his material is relentlessly foulmouthed and occasionally offensive but it rarely bothered me because he does manage to be consistently funny throughout the show. His topics are mostly in the realm of relationships in regards sex and women generally. This worried me a little bit because these topics hardly offered much in the way of originality but actually he did really well with it.
It wasn't that he avoided clichés (because he doesn't) but more that he manages to inject energy into his whole show. At times his material is very strong but even when he is being obvious and crude, his energy lifts it, engages the audience and makes it feel better than it is. I wasn't rolling with laughter all the time but I did really enjoy the show so, even when I didn't laugh at some bits, it wasn't really a problem but he was generally still amusing. Director Townsend doesn't really help him by having the camera tight on him so much either; Murphy's energy is in his whole body so the close shots reduce this somewhat - plus the whole setup makes it hard to appreciate the audience being in the room.Overall though a funny and energetic show from Murphy. It isn't a classic by any means and his material is hardly original but he has stage presence and energy and that helps a lot. Maybe too crude and foulmouthed to be to everyone's tastes but if it is your thing then it is worth a look.
xaraceleex
April 8, 2009
Not as funny as DELIRIOUS but funny still... You got the MY FATHER DON'T PUT HIS HANDS ON ME I KNOW YOU DIDN'T JUST PUT YOUR HANDS ON ME and of course I GOT MCDONALDS I GOT MCDONALDS....
January 18, 2009
Eddie Murphy was amazing in this. One of my favorite stand ups by him. He will have you laughing all the way through. Just amazing!
QueenCityFilms
QueenCityFilms

June 18, 2008
Eddie Murphy is rocking out one gangster ass purple suit...I need to get me one of them shits.

Pretty funny - I wasn't on the ground rolling by any means, but the standup was solid entertainment.
firstamb
July 7, 2008
Coming off his other cable movies, Murphy gets to make one where he cusses even more, only in this one, the jokes are vapid and the guy just loses it.
July 20, 2008
Woah, I had no idea the Nutty Professor was so hilarious! From relationships to money to gender and race, he absolutely delivers the laughs. Many laugh-out-loud moments.