75% Hercules Jul 25

Edge of Tomorrow Reviews

ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

July 20, 2014
When people heard Cruise about to make another sci-fi movie, nobody would thought this one as a great one.. But here he is, the hero of the day with a great chemistry with Emily Blunt, a great script and directing style from Doug Liman that makes this movie strong, have character, and lovable.. Damn, i love this movie!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 10, 2014
Edge of Tomorrow is a fine return to form for Tom Cruise that after a few lacking efforts, manages to deliver one of his strongest and best performances in the last few years. What stands out about the film is the story, which is finely crafted, exciting, captivating and memorable. Add to that a solid cast of actors that elevate the film's ideas, and you have of the most exciting action packed thrill rides in the last few years. Edge of Tomorrow is a thrilling, action packed picture, one that will grab your attention from the first frame onwards. Tom Cruise is a great choice to play the lead character, and what makes the film really worth your time is the fact that it uses a fairly simple concept, but due to its strong performances, and immaculate direction, Edge of Tomorrow is one of the finest genre films that I have seen in quite some time. The film is action packed, never dull or tedious, and with a well crafted story and futuresque vibe the film possesses, this picture succeeds on many levels as a brilliant piece of entertainment, and above all, it features Tom Cruise in a fine role that feels like it was tailored for him, and it's hard to imagine anyone else in the role. I felt that Edge of Tomorrow was one of 2014's finest action films, and with director Doug Liman who previously helmed The Bourne Identity, I have to say this is his best work since that film. He's made other films of course, but none have had the power of really grabbing your attention like the first Bourne film. Until now. With a fine blend of action and Science Fiction, Edge of Tomorrow is a memorable and constantly thrilling piece of cinema that is a must watch for anyone looking for top notch thrills. I highly recommend this film, and if you enjoy films such as District 9 and Elysium, you're surely going to enjoy this film. Edge of Tomorrow is one of 2014's very best action films.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 28, 2013
Terminator meets Groundhog Day!
A unique and amusing sci-fi action flick that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Wildaly M

April 21, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised by this sci-fi film. I'd read some really good reviews and they do really live up to it. I've always thought of Cruise as quite a good actor and he definitely delivers in this one. Blunt is a straight up bad-ass and I loved her character. Even though the premise of the time-loop might make you think you'll be seeing the same scenes over and over, the movie does a great job of keeping the story fresh, interesting and intense every step of the way.

I particularly liked the ending and it even got my friends and I in a friendly debate about time travel paradoxes and whatnot. This one is a must-see.
boxman
boxman

June 10, 2014
I've always been one able to separate the art from the artist, so while Tom Cruise may annoy people in real life because he jumped on a couch one summer, that doesn't halt my enjoyment of the man's movies. It seems with every new Cruise vehicle that underperforms at the box-office that I must be in the minority. Cruise hasn't had a hit to his name since 2011's suitably awesome Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Both Oblivion and Jack Reacher, perfectly solid action movies, failed to make over $100 million domestically, further calling into question the drawing power of Tom Terrific. It seems that his latest, Edge of Tomorrow, is going to suffer a similar fate. This is a shame. As my critical colleague Ben Bailey said in his own review for the film: "Edge of Tomorrow might just be the most critically acclaimed box-office bomb of 2014."

William Cage (Cruise) is chiefly an Armed Forces PR flak. He goes on TV to push the talking points of the United States military, which is in a heap of trouble. Aliens have landed in central Europe and spread quickly, proving to be nearly unstoppable. There was one soldier who was able to lead a successful counter attack. The "Angel of Verdun" was Rita (Emily Blunt), a soldier Cage proudly chirps only spent a day in her mechanical fighting suit beforehand yet proved to be so deadly. After vaguely threatening a high-ranking official rather than report for a doomed counter assault, Cage is shipped to the frontlines as a deserter. In hours he and a motley crew of ground forces are flown to the beaches of France, where the aliens will slaughter them. In the firefight, Cage is covered with alien blood and gains their special power. The reason the aliens have won every battle, save one, is because they have the power to reset time. They learn from their errors, which is why they always anticipate humanity's attacks. Now Cage has this power. Every time he dies, the day resets and he starts over, trying once again to survive. The only person who understands him is Rita, who once had the same power. Together, with some extensive training, they may be able to thwart the alien invaders for good.

Edge of Tomorrow is the ultimate video game movie, and while I would normally mean this in a pejorative sense, it is actually a compliment. With every death, Cage gets to start over, looking for a way to complete the next stage of the next level, learning from his costly mistakes and hoping to get to the boss battle that usually closes the level. From a structure standpoint, it's a pure video game, albeit an older sidescroller (remember those, kids?). The visuals and mechanical battle suits also further support the video game comparisons. But really, Edge of Tomorrow is Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers but brilliantly executed. There is something deeply satisfying about the Groundhog Day formula, namely getting seemingly endless chances to fix one's mistakes, to try out new paths. It's also inherently satisfying as an audience member because you watch your hero fail time and after time but they're still active, they're still trying to achieve a goal, or a new goal, and thus when they do succeed it's even more triumphant and gratifying. We get to learn alongside our protagonist. Also, it allows the narrative to explore new material without going stale. In most stories we have one set path, but in films like this one with a time loop, it's like we get to see all the wheels-within-wheels, the stories just offscreen happening simultaneously. It opens up the world in more interesting and playful ways, providing more payoffs than just one set narrative destination. We get assorted answers to our "what if"'s. Plus we get more screen time with Bill Paxton (2 Guns) as a comically hard-pressed master sergeant. Edge of Tomorrow mines all these areas expertly. This is a movie that embraces the possibility of its sci-fi premise. It's constantly clever, fast-paced, lively, and expects its audience to keep up with the pace.

It's great to see director Doug Liman flex his action-thriller abilities again, ineffective or dormant since 2005's Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The man has an innate ability to orchestrate action without losing sight of character. The beach invasion sequences have plenty going on, enough so that you won't be bored after multiple trips, and unlike last summer's disappointing Elysium, this is one movie that knows how to make proper use of a mech suit. These suits don't look that impressive but they pack some mighty firepower. It's rather cool when Cage, after a litany of failed trips, has the beats of combat to memory, knowing to shoot in this direction at the right second. It's like watching a man harness the omniscient power of God ("I said I was a god. Not THE God."). Under Liman's guidance, the action is big and exciting and fun, more so than any other Hollywood action movie I've seen this year (The Raid 2 is still in a class its own).

The action sequences and special effects are all relatively good, but it's just the sheer fun of the movie that makes it special for a summer would-be blockbuster. It's like you get multiple movies smattered together but the eye is always forward to the goal, taking out the alien brain/host. The structure is almost foolproof: by the end of Act 1 he gets the time-tripping powers, and by the end of Act 2, he loses them and the heroics to close the movie have to count for real. I wish the final boss battle didn't happen to take place in the bowels of a famous landmark/destination, but I suppose Liman and company needed a change of pace from all the beach activity. While the movie covers plenty of ground repeatedly it never feels old or directionless; while it has its share of sticky exposition and silly plot mechanics, it never overwhelms the story or the entertainment factor. The basics of who the aliens are, how they attack, what their magic blood does, what the rules are for utilizing said alien time-repeating power, you would imagine that they would be too silly or bog things down, but they don't. Except for the very end (the concluding two minutes), the movie plays within its own system of rules. That also means no unrealistic romantic entanglement. Sure we expect movie stars to fall for one another, especially in peril, but for Rita, every day is the first day she's ever met Cage. He develops feelings for her but she credibly keeps thoughts of romance at bay.

It's also a mordantly mirthful movie. Cage can only reset when he dies; if he is just wounded and passes out, he'll lose his special reset power. So every insurmountable roadblock, wrong choice, or crippling injury must be met with one conclusion, namely Cage being snuffed out. Rita carries out most of the executions in the second half, with a blasť sense of routine duty, like a plumber fixing a clog. It doesn't really get old and Liman utilizes montage well to give the comedy an extra punch. It lightens a movie more or less centered on human annihilation and mortality. And for the legions of Tom Cruise haters, there's got to be some degree of entertainment value in watching the man die again and again and again and, well you get the point.

Cruise (Oblivion) ably shows again that he is more than capable of carrying an action film (he's over 50 now too). The man still has enough energy and physical stamina of an action hero in his 30s, and his charisma is still there in spades. It's also interesting to watch Cruise play a cowardly character. I should have expected it considering that Cage's arc has to start somewhere before he becomes the super soldier. However, the movie would never have been as good if Cruise didn't have a strong leading lady, and the surprisingly buff Blunt (Looper) is an excellent match for her costar. She's tough and can beat the snot out of you. Just her very walk exudes confidence and determination. Having walked in Cage's shoes before with the time-replay power, she has an extra weariness to her, a certain devil-may-care attitude, especially in battle. The two actors make a winning team and Cage's recruitment of Rita is another mission with another worthy payoff.

The original title was All You Need is Kill, based on a Japanese graphic novel, and I can't help but thinking how much of a better, striking title that is to describe this movie. It's a wonderfully entertaining movie, with its action spectacle tempered with an intelligence rare for a summer blockbuster that doesn't have Christopher Nolan's name attached as director. Here is a playful sci-fi movie that doesn't downplay its sci-fi, doesn't dumb down its plot, and explores the richness of its world one dead Cruise at a time. It's clever and satisfying and brings all the visual fireworks you'd demand. It's a rotten shame that Edge of Tomorrow appears destined for the cinematic scrapheap. Reverse the tide people and see this movie on the big screen while you can. It's everything we want in a summer blockbuster fully realized.

Nate's Grade: A-
Apeneck F

June 2, 2014
Doug Limon steers a pretty good script with exciting visuals and dynamic storytelling skills to make this one a hella summer thrill ride from start to finish. The friggen disgusting insectoid alien hordes
want terra firma for their own yet again ... and this time they can't lose cause they've got a secret weapon. Only they - and we, too - failed to consider the surprising charisma between Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt that enlivens this sci- fi love-in way past expectations and then some. Me likey.
TomBowler
TomBowler

June 12, 2014
The ending might not stick the landing as well as it would like but the journey there is fantastic. Full review later.
Eugene B

June 3, 2014
Highly action-packed with enough humor, drama and complexity in its plot to make for a pretty good summer blockbuster. Edge of Tomorrow fires away with a great duo in Cruise & Blunt as well as the sleek direction of Liman. The film's delivery is as impacting as expected and more. 4.5/5
Spencer M

December 11, 2013
Emily Blunt. Hot.
Drake T

June 8, 2014
There have been some pretty forgettable futuristic one-off Sci Fis rolling into theaters these past couple of years (Total Recall, After Earth, Oblivion, Elysium etc.), none of them were absolutely terrible per say but brought nothing new to the genre I wasn't already deathly familiar with. So I went into EoT with minimal expectations and boy, what a delightful surprise.

EoT manages to take a couple of premises and plot devices I've grown weary of (alien invasion and time travel), inject new life into them and deliver an entertaining, thrilling, moving experience all in one neat little package.

One of the most successful things about it is that it doesn't get too obvious but more importantly, never forgets all it's moving parts are human. Cruise makes Cage a very delectable every-day man and his relationship with Blunt's Vrataski really grows on you as they get to know (and un-know?) each other through the course of the film.

To be honest it's surprising how much of their relationship they were able to shove into the movie without making it blatantly overshadow the emergence of stopping an alien invasion. I would even go as far to say it's an equal parts romance as it is a time-travel action-fest. Don't get me wrong though, it never gets in the way of all the explosions, alien slaying and cool exosuits.

I'm just saying in the end, you'll probably be a lot more invested in what happens to Cage and Vrataski than you are with the fate of humanity, and you won't be disappointed either.

If there are any hiccups with the film it's all the high concept shenanigans being thrown at you despite the grounded near-future setting. Your suspense of disbelief will definitely be challenged oh so slightly, as the pseudo science hits the ground hard but keeps running. Almost saying "Keep up, or you'll just fall behind" The movie is a lot less concerned about explaining who or what than it is about the happenings of the here and now.

If you're looking for a great one-off Sci Fi movie to watch this summer that isn't a part of some giant conglomerate franchise (Godzilla, Transformers, Marvel, TMNT etc.) then I most definitely recommend Edge of Tomorrow.
Everett J

June 7, 2014
This is the first real original, fun, big action movie of the summer. Tom Cruise stars as an Army Major who works in marketing trying to recruit people to fight against Aliens called Mimics that have invaded Earth. He is then thrust against his will into combat and has a freak accident that allows him to relive the same day, in which he dies each day. He teams with a soldier(Emily Blunt) , who had suffered from the same thing, to try to find a way to defeat the aliens. This movie is big, action packed, and a lot of fun. It doesn't take itself too serious and has some real good laughs. The effects are fantastic, although the 3D was subpar. But I saw it in a smaller auditorium, and it seemed dimmer than normal. So I will blame the theater for the poor 3D. Having said that, this is kind of like this years "Pacific Rim". One of the better sci-fi/alien invasion movies I've seen in quite a while. Don't let this one slip under your radar, it's definitely worth a watch!
skactopus
skactopus

June 7, 2014
Reset after reset brings out the best in Doug Liman's Edge of Tomorrow.Reset. Based off of the book All You Need is Kill, the concept behind the story easily makes for a 2+ hour picture; however, this film picks its pieces well and manages a solid story in roughly 115 minutes. The pacing is quite fast, yet the repetitive scenes help to prevent story loss.Reset. The sci-fi action is frantic and explosive. While leaving devastation in its wake, these segments still aren't the greatest piece of this production.Reset. Tom Cruise does what he does best; not winning any awards with his performance, but his persona tends to make his characters amusing to watch. Emily Blunt needs no introduction. She is stunning on screen from every angle.Reset. Edge of Tomorrow has its moments of laughter, but ultimately is a sci-fi gem. Reset.
Jason R

June 7, 2014
perhaps the finest D-Day movie ever. kinda want to see it again.
Flutie A

December 15, 2013
A surprising summer blockbuster that is certainly a lot of fun. The best description I've still heard, and is quite obvious, is 'Groundhog Day' crossed with 'Call of Duty'. Emily Blunt really stole it for me, thought Tom Cruise was also great. I spent a lot of time trying to catch awesome one-liners from Bill Paxton every time he appeared as well! A great summer popcorn movie!
KJ P

June 6, 2014
If you think from the trailers that "Edge of Tomorrow" is just another average Tom Cruise action flick, you are sadly mistaken. No it's not the best film he has ever done, but it has one of the most interesting premises that he has ever been able to get his hands on. After being unwilling forced into war between humans and an otherworldly race known as Mimic's, Luke Cage (Tom Cruise) dies on site about 2 minutes into battle. As he dies he is infected by the blood of one of the Mimic's which allows him to repeat the same day over and over again, learning new strategies and tactics in order to take them down. There are not really any plot twists, which is what I was hoping for, instead, the second half of the film slows the pace down a bit and tells the story safely through linear perspective. That is not a bad thing, it was just an odd choice comparing it to the first half of the film. Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are great together and the action is terrific. "Edge of Tomorrow" kept me on the EDGE of my seat, and that is all I wanted, so I am satisfied. Definitely recommend checking this out in theatres, because I do not believe you will be able to enjoy this film as much if it is watched on a home television.
Edward B

June 5, 2014
Easily the best movie of the summer. The mimics are the coolest aliens since...well, Aliens. The premise is equally smart, bizarre, and trippy, all while undermining the cliches of the sci-fi action genre. And let's not forget Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt; you won't see a better action team in any film this year. Strong characters, a great story, and stellar effects make Edge of Tomorrow a near perfect masterpiece. Director Doug Liman has more than redeemed himself for Jumper.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

June 3, 2014
a fantastic sci-fi film. a wonderful story and perfect use of the groundhog day narrative style, cruise and blunt are electric and the film uses its space perfectly. the end could have used more space to breath, but overall this is an excellent film.