Edges of the Lord Reviews

SC007
April 19, 2013
Haley Joel Osment shines in this film. All the kid actors in this film are really good. Even Willem Dafoe does a great job playing the priest. The film reminded me of the movie, I Am David. I thought that film was much better than this one. I am surprised that the film didn't get a theatrical release.

One problem that I had with the film was that I thought a lot of the adult actors were miscast. That was a bit distracting to me. Also the scenes of violence involving children were shocking. It reminded me of scenes that I would see in Lord of the Flies. There is one shocking scene in this film that reminded me of a famous scene in the film Hounddog starring Dakota Fanning. I know it is to show the horror during that time period, but I thought that the way it was handled here, wasn't done correctly.

I do recommend the film especially for the performances of Haley, Willem, and the children in the movie.
December 16, 2012
An excellent little movie. Inevitably a sad movie yet containing much that is inspiring and some that is funny. The acting is all very good, especially by the child actors. Even those in some small roles do a fine job. Haley Joel Osment is, as usual, outstanding but a young British actor named Liam Hess outshines even Osment's performance.
½ July 1, 2011
Awesome Film that will stay with you forever.A fresh look at WWII & the Holocaust Struggle that you haven't seen before, from the perspective of an 11year old boy that is sent away, yet still profoundly affected.
January 12, 2010
"Romek: Are we blessed? Or are we just the edges?
Priest: We are all scraps, Romek, and we are all blessed the same.
Romek: But not all the people right?"

As you can expect with the majority of films with Haley Joel Osment, they will be heartfelt and heartbreaking. Riveting, and touching. This one was no exception. Haley Osment plays another emotionally charged role, this time as a Jewish boy, Romek, during WWII seeking refuge with German allies. As with any rated R films you can expect to be introduced to Violence and Sexual Content/Situations. This film actually had a low balance of the three and instead focused instead on plot/character development. However, they still are there. This film should be watched by mature audiences only to avoid potential emotional stress as well as explanation of mature content.
½ June 30, 2009
Children are resiliant. The terrible realities these children dealt with are worse than tragic. Liam Hess was absolutely incredible. The priest had his hands full too. So much violence on the earth, it is never satisfied. This movie made me think and cry very hard. Everyone did a great job of acting.
August 29, 2013
Great gem of a film. Sad that this was not given even a limited release and is a movie lost and forgotten just like the subjects in the movie. Liam Hess is outstanding in his innocence but more so, his extremely pertinent and haunting sadness depicted through his eyes. For a boy his age, he far exceeds in skill than most of Hollywood teen actors. Background score was a bit much but the movie was a great watch for its portrayal of conflict in kids and their maturity through diversity.
February 4, 2013
Poignant, deeply moving story of a Jewish boy hidden by a rural Polish family during the Holocaust and his interaction with the neighboring group of children and the community that shelters him, Told from a child's point of view, it shows how the cruelty and bravery of those around them deeply effects their lives.
February 1, 2013
I really enjoyed and highly recommend this movie.
It had me in tears.
November 8, 2012
this is a great film; it skillfully deals with the nature of mankind from a child's perspective; hats off to Willem Dafoe and Haley Joel Osmet for doing this Polish film which was never intended for commercial success
½ March 11, 2012
Good movie but the cover made me think Willem Dafoe had a bigger role in the film. And english accents in a largely foreign language speaking country always bothers me.
July 12, 2011
It was such a sad movie. In the end, the youngest brother gave himself up to be carried away with the rest of those who were leaving but never returning. His denial of his brother and best friend to me simply indicated the loss of any hope that his little life or that of those around him would every get any better. He chose rather to end his disillusionment by joining in with those on the train of death. Though the story line revolved mostly around Romek, the real outstanding character in this movie was little Tolo. As his little heart and spirit were being broken time and time again as he watched the atrocities of the the cruelties of war around him, I felt myself experiencing his pain, loss, and emotional strain not understanding why those sorts of things happen in war and life any more than Tolo did.
½ April 23, 2011
A fine story. An Unusual way to detail Good and Evil in such a horrible time.
February 12, 2011
The scene at the vestry, the dialogue betw the Priest and Romek while the communion chips were being cut into shapes impressed me. We are living in dangerous times, everything has changed, yet nothing has changed ...
October 26, 2008
This a good but very sad movie about the horrors of the WW2. Must of the movie is great, I didn't like the end, the last 10 minutes of the movie are cruel.
April 28, 2007
5.5/10. Good story hampered by an unconvincing performance by Haley Joel osment. I was not impressed with the many and obvious fake accents either. It's a moving story however and very well made technically. The score can be a bit melodramatic though.
January 13, 2007
I am surprised to see so many good reviews for this movie. I think a lot of people are being clouded by the subject matter which is itself a very intense subject and seems to give a boost to movie ratings. As a MOVIE, however, this was not an impressive work.

A lot of the typical cliches for a "new kid in town" can be applied to the initial scenes where Haley-Joel's character moves in with the new family. The movie looks as if it were filmed on a small portion of land with little diversity and the backgrounds are bland. The sympathy evoked has a lot to do with the history behind the situation in the movie ... not the acting.

I just feel that it's important to recognize the difference between the subject matter and the quality of the movie. If the events were fictitious in their roots, as opposed to historical, I feel the ratings on this movie would drop all across the boards.

Oh, and just to help put a stamp on my point, the movie cover itself has a note that says "In the tradition of Life Is Beautiful" or something like that. This movie is in NO way similar other than ... oh yeah! That's right! It's based on World War II persecution! That makes sense ... okay ... I see how it is a similar movie now. Yeah ... *rolls eyes*
August 11, 2006
This was a good movie. I happen to like Haley as an actor and grabbed this movie when I was in BlockBuster last. It made me cry but I thought it was a really well done movie. Interesting way of looking at the treatment of Jews during the second world war, through the eyes of a child who is Jewish hiding in a small town with a Polish family. I liked it I would buy it.