AFI announces top 10 films and TV shows of 2013

The American Film Institute has unveiled its selection of 10 oustanding movies and TV shows of 2013, the announcement was made in December 9th. Instead of picking a single winner, AFI honors a selection of 10 films and TV shows that are "culturally and artistically representative of the year's most significant achievements in the art of the moving image," celebrating them as a community, not competitors. Read through for the full list.

Comments

Tomislav ?ilipetar

Tomislav ?ilipetar

FUCK YOU....WHAT ABOUT WALKING DEAD.......FUCK YOU

Dec 10 - 11:10 AM

Aaron Koch

Aaron Koch

Walking dead is not good. It is filled with characters no one cares about. It hasn't been good since season one.

Dec 10 - 12:58 PM

Justin Scott

Justin Scott

What is the end goal of Walking Dead? Everyone dies? Who cares.. Season 15 will be an hour long show of zombies walking around, its pretty much already there.

Dec 10 - 09:20 PM

James Mccue

James Mccue

thank you I thought I was the only one who thought the show sucked after season 1... not a chance does it deserve to be up there with those shows

Dec 11 - 01:24 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Wipe me, Mommy"

Dec 10 - 03:43 PM

Riley Scott

Riley Scott

Walking Dead is shit.

Dec 11 - 04:29 AM

Chris Geriak

Chris Geriak

Same here, granted I'm not a fan of The Walking Dead but I'm really surprised that it's not on here...

Dec 10 - 12:46 PM

Aaron Koch

Aaron Koch

Dec 10 - 12:58 PM

Justin Scott

Justin Scott

Dec 10 - 09:20 PM

James Mccue

James Mccue

Dec 11 - 01:24 PM

Aaron Koch

Aaron Koch

The only problem I have with the list is that Hannibal is not on it.

Dec 10 - 12:59 PM

Francisco Attié

Francisco Attié

Agree...

Dec 11 - 11:34 AM

Adam Beasley

Adam Beasley

Justified is the best show on TV.

Dec 10 - 01:20 PM

Scott Simpkins

Scott Simpkins

The list of shows is at least decent. Granted, the lack of Walking Dead, Justified, and possibly The Blacklist is disappointing to me. However, I find the list of movies to be disappointing.

Dec 10 - 03:23 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Wipe me, Mommy"

Dec 10 - 03:43 PM

Brock Bodo

Brock Bodo

Rush is the movie of the year and Man of Steel and Place Beyond the Pines should at least be on it

Dec 10 - 05:55 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Please, Man of Steel isn't even one of the best SUPERHERO films of the year, let alone films in general. Even Thor 2 was better than that atrocity.

Dec 10 - 08:52 PM

Oliver D.

Oliver Davidson

Man of Steel is shit on so many levels that I won't even begin to describe it. The Place Beyond The Pines had potential but they screwed it up by splitting the movie into three acts. They should've stuck with police corruption and Brad Cooper's rise to power rather than focus on high school kids doing drugs. It's an above average movie at best. There's no way it belongs in the discussion with these other films.

Dec 11 - 02:31 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Very true. On my review for Man of Steel, I explain that it's basically a compilation of all the elements that failed in the past 10 years of superhero films. I mean, films as bad as that at least get points for entertaining. Man of Steel was freaking boring, and I'm hard to bore at a cinema.

Dec 17 - 08:56 PM

Jarek Khan

Jarek Khan

Thor 2 better than MOS? Incorrect. For this year, on my top 10 for sure. I'm with ya, Brock.

Dec 12 - 06:05 AM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Seriously? Top 10 films of the year? If you need a third opinion after Oliver and I, just look at the damn RT score! We can't decide who's opinion is more correct, but at least my statement is backed up by critics. Man of Steel is a rotten film, and for a year with an overload of good cinema, don't dare say it's in the top 10 best films of the year.

I can name 20 films in the top of my head from this year with a score of over 90%, and you want to argue that Man of Steel's 56% is better than not only those 20 films, but every other film this year that got an 80% like Her and Saving Mr. Banks? Go back and tuck yourself into your bed at the basement of the comic book store.

Dec 17 - 09:01 PM

This comment has been removed.

Vits

Vicente Torres

DOWNTON ABBEY is British. This is only for American shows. I know, I know. GAME OF THRONES is there. But even though it's filmed all over the U.K. it's an American production.

Dec 11 - 05:45 AM

Berny Grim

Berny Grim

I would like Frozen be on the list =(

Dec 10 - 07:33 PM

John McCrea

John McCrea

That'd be fun. :) I don't think it can compete with the heavyweights on this list unfortunately, but I did absolutely love the movie. Disney all the way!

Jan 3 - 04:43 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Where's Louie??? A pretty solid film list, though. All are (or will be) over 90% other than Saving Mr. Banks, so maybe the Act of Killing should have taken its place.

Dec 10 - 08:50 PM

Justin Peevey

Justin Peevey

"Louie" did not air a new season in 2013.

Dec 11 - 12:56 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Documentaries don't count

Dec 12 - 06:11 AM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Why not? Though, you could argue that Act of Killing isn't American, so it doesn't qualify.

Dec 17 - 09:03 PM

Dec 17 - 09:01 PM

Justin Scott

Justin Scott

Dec 10 - 09:20 PM

Trevor Rhodes

Trevor Rhodes

Pretty confident that the Wolf of Wall Street is good even without it being formally reviewed yet? Seems a little pretentious AFI...it is Martin Scorsese, but he's done movies that aren't Top 10 before.

Dec 10 - 10:11 PM

Rebecca Lynn

Rebecca Lynn

I guarantee the people at AFI have screened it though.

Dec 10 - 11:44 PM

Rebecca Lynn

Rebecca Lynn

I guarantee the people at AFI have screened it though.

Dec 10 - 11:44 PM

Vineeth Pinglae

Vineeth Pinglae

rush??

Dec 11 - 12:11 AM

Max Conoley

Max Conoley

I don't think Rush was an American production, despite the fact Ron Howard directed it. I'll have to find out. If it is an American production, then it not being here is a travesty.

Dec 16 - 05:04 PM

Johnny Boy

ved 76

Glad to see The Americans made the list, awesome show.

Dec 11 - 01:49 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships