EDtv - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

EDtv Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
June 28, 2012
Mediocre film that could have been good, for me, EdTV reminds me way too much of The Truman Show. This is one of the most mediocre films that Ron Howard has directed. The film has its moments, but due to a poorly thought out script, it just doesn't have anything going for it. With EdTV, you can see a director starting to lose his touch. Although, he redeemed himself with A Beautiful Mind and Cinderella Man, Ron Howard is hit and misses, and with this one, he shows signs of that. The cast were so-so. Matthew McConauhey who I find to be a decent actor wasn't good here, and Jenna Elfman was horrible. This could have been a great film, but it just ends up missing something to really make it worth seeing. This is not a memorable film. Were the film fails is the fact I felt it went all over the place in some areas. Towards the end, the film didn't what it was trying to accomplish. I thought that Ron Howard could have done a better job at directing. The film just ends up being boring, and uninteresting. This had the potential of being a great flick, but due to a poor script, it never really takes off. Nowadays with Reality TV boom, it might have worked, and actually, it would have been a better film, today because there so many stupid Reality TV shows to mock and to take inspiration from. The film has minor laughs, but unfortunately it only shows its wasted potential here, and I think it's a shame. This film could have been a great parody of Reality TV.
August 15, 2009
When you read the overview of "EdTV," you might think that it's similar to "The Truman Show." But it's not, in my opinion, it's better. The difference is that in "EdTV," Matthew McConaughey volunteers to have his life broadcast on television 24 hours a day for the next month. After Ed gets with his brother's ex-girlfriend and the cameras get in the way of his life, he must find a way to get out of the camera's view. But that will be a lot easier said than done.
Unlike you might expect it to be, "EdTV" is hilarious and it will keep you interested during the whole movie. The funniest part of the movie is when you find out how Ed will get his life off the television screen for good.

If you like good comedy movies that have a great storyline, I recommend getting "EdTV" today. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. This is like a Truman Show ripoff (or was it vice versa?), but I don't care, I like this one better.
½ February 28, 2009
I guess this movie is OK. I can't imagine anybody suggesting that watching one person's life would make good TV, but of course, the movie presents us with the highpoints of Ed's life - his relationship with his girlfriend and family.
Screeny
September 15, 2008
[REVEIW COMING SOON]
½ April 12, 2008
It ok. I liked the Truman Show better but this is a good commentary on the boom of reality tv that has flooded the airwaves for the last few years.
puffchunk
October 1, 2007
wow, could we want to be truman show any more?
thmtsang
½ September 2, 2007
Reality TV story. Bit like the Truman Show.
November 7, 2006
It was good enough.
deano
½ October 23, 2006
Two thumbs up! Superb comedy about a regular guy become the star of a reality based TV show. Jenna Elfman and Ellen DeGeneres area really hilarous.
½ May 30, 2006
Diet Truman Show
January 3, 2010
Often compared to the much better Truman Show (albeit a very unfair comparison), this Ron Howard effort isn't really that great.
Naughtia
May 15, 2010
Matthew McConaughey stars as Ed, a young ordinary single guy. When a television network decides to make a reality show to follow a man's life, Ed gets chosen for the show. Ed likes the idea but his family and friends disagree with him. As time goes by he slowly realizes how much this show effects his life. He has met the girl of his dreams and their relationship gets complicated because of all the cameras and people following him around. This movie was ok and fun to watch, it might have been a very good movie at the time it was released because people were really hyped on the new phenomena called 'reality tv', a term that has grown mainstream to this day.
February 28, 2006
Surprisingly entertaining, and the concept aged well with the introduction of reality TV.
mingsysar
August 14, 2006
I think I preferred this to the Truman Show, it felt more real, more believable and had more engaging characters.
jim222001us
½ August 2, 2007
I think this is probably Matthew McConaughey's best movie next to A Time to Kill. He's actually funny here and acts without flaunting his shirtless body. Although yes I think he may actually have a shirtless scene or two lol. I'm not sure if there's any of his movies where he doesn't have his shirt off lol.

Anyway the movie does at least require him to act and he's not bad here. The rest of the cast are very good as well. The movie was compared to Truman Show too much when it was released. Truman Show is about a guy who doesn't know his life is a reality show. EdTv is about a guy who volunteers to be in a reality show and it's also a lot less dramatic than Truman Show. Either way, both of them are still good though.
½ March 4, 2008
i liked this one and it has a stellar cast as well, worth a rental
iLeo
December 16, 2007
Hilarious!
chadroesti
February 24, 2007
The chicken dance is the best part of this movie! If I did the chicken dance I wouldn't do it like that!
½ January 29, 2016
Despite being full of plot points that feel familiar and cliché, the biting satire and fun performances of EDtv make for a mostly entertaining time.
½ October 3, 2007
Matthew McConaughey as stars as ED in Ron Howard's EDtv. Ed Perkurny is your regular guy until he gets cast in a reality show that features his daily life events. The drama ensues as relationships between his brother (Woody Harrelson) and a woman (Jenna Elfman) unfold. EDtv was pretty forced and goes on for too long. The movie tries to encapsulate America's fascination with reality TV, but ultimately is a boring soap opera. The Truman Show is a much better movie and should be seen over this.