Eight Legged Freaks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eight Legged Freaks Reviews

½ September 27, 2012
This is an underrated monster flick that captures elements of old school 50's sci fi horror with a modern twist. I found this film to be very enjoyable and it was entertaining from start to finish. I found that the film was very well done, with great effects and enough comic relief to make this worthwhile viewing. I have had the opportunity to watch plenty of monster flicks from the 1950's, and this film captures the feel of the era. I find this film to be quite underrated and it doesn't deserve the flack it has received. If you want a silly, good time, then this is a terrific little chiller. The film has flaws, but it's very amusing, and it more than makes up for its imperfections. There are some good performances here, and the script is silly, funny and entertaining. Director Ellory Elkayem delivers a very good monster flick that if you're afraid of spiders, you probably shouldn't watch this. If you're in the mood for a fun little film, then this is the one to watch. I found it to be better than what most people have said about it, and there's a good plot here with enough visual flair to make it a memorable and fun viewing experience. There are plenty of things to enjoy here, and you can't take this one seriously. As far as I'm concerned, this is a fine little gem of a picture that captures the essence of 50's monster cinema and though it's nothing remarkable, it's nonetheless a fun flick for monster fans. There's a fine mix of comedy and thrills, and that's what makes Eight Legged Freaks a necessary viewing. One of the best monster flicks dealing with Spiders since Arachnophobia. Watch this film with an open mind, and you're to have a blast. This is a better film that what it initially gets credit for.
Directors Cat
½ November 8, 2011
Far far too long. The cast of Eight Legged Freaks perform well but the film is neither funny or scary.
½ June 6, 2010
Even though I was sleeping through most of the second half I have to say...It wasn't a bad movie. Just some lame ass effects
June 23, 2011
Had me absolutely petrified! A must see!
December 19, 2009
Do you hate spiders? Do you really hate spiders? Well they don't like you either!
April 9, 2007
2nd best spiders movie after Arachnophobia.
October 4, 2010
God awful. Who doesn't like giant spiders as the adversary.. too bad this movie was boring, the graphics are terrible and I get that it's supposed to be "cheap", but damn.. the story isn't even good. I liked the cast, but it wasn't good enough to ever make me watch this again.
½ July 29, 2010
Saw this on release at the cinema and kinda liked it, nothing special but it was OK because it involved giant spiders and that's cool haha
Recently saw it again on TV and boy was I dumb back in 02 LOL!! this film is pretty shit frankly, yes its suppose to be a parody or spoof based on old cheesy black n white horror films but bloody hell its just crap!!

The cast is terrible, Arquette!!?? D-list actor if ever I saw one!! so much ham going on its cringe worthy, the effects are dreadful, really poor cgi by todays standards despite its age (no excuse seeing as its only large spiders and 'Starship Troopers' could manage it) and just a complete waste of time and money. Even though its a take on old films you could at least try and make it sensible to a degree, why do the spiders have chirpy human like voices and make squeaky noises?? they sound like little goblins or something, if this had been made in the mid 80's I could excuse it but its just nonsense and not even well made nonsense.

Go watch 'Critters' if you want a decent tacky horror comedy ;)
½ July 23, 2010
½ May 5, 2010
Very Dumb! At times, it can be funny, but it does not do that often enough! A complete fail! It had a run, but it ran out of steam.
September 24, 2007
Hmmm... Horror movie for ten year olds.
½ October 15, 2009
Didn't expect much from this one, but found it to be entertaining and rather neat.
½ July 19, 2009
"Eight Legged Freaks" was originally titled "Arac Attack" before the film's star, David Arquette, thought of a better title ("Eight Legged Freaks"). The great thing about this title is it sets up the film perfectly--it's a parody, and a surprisingly entertaining and hilarious and fun one, too.

David Arquette is the film's main character: the local boy who has returned after 10 years and still has a crush on cute Sheriff Sam Parker (Kari Wuhrer).

Once he arrives, he tries to spark a relationship with her, but everything is put on hold when mutated spiders (which formed from pollution in the mining caves) start to attack humans and animals, and everything goes haywire. Now David's character must put an end to these eight legged freaks before all legs break loose. (Yeah, that was a pretty bad pun.)

"Eight Legged Freaks" was one of the biggest surprises of last year, mainly because it was so darn funny and such a good spoof. I went into the theater expecting, at the bare minimum, a film with a rating of...say...2, 2.5/5 stars. I'd have to give this a 3.5. It was completely overlooked, probably the most overlooked film of last year (though that is pushing it). The parody is classic.

Do you remember those old films about mining towns in the middle of nowhere, population: 9, where giant grasshoppers, spiders, worms--heck, I saw a film with giant ants once--start attacking? That's what "Eight Legged Freaks" spoofs. It takes the old formulas and twists it around to have fun with.

Towards the end I found myself having such a pleasurable experience that I couldn't believe this film was so underrated. Nothing is more fun than seeing a bunch of people going after giant spiders with shotguns--it's pure fun. The people that went into this film expecting Oscar material were nuts.

The most sad thing about "Eight Legged Freaks" is that the people going into "Men in Black II" were probably expecting something like this: something funny, smart, original, witty, and satirical. I went into "Men in Black II" expecting something as good as "Eight Legged Freaks," and apparently Roger Ebert did, too. I'm on the same level with him, because I thought this film was extremely entertaining.

There are some plot holes and stupid cliches, but most of them are there to be made fun of. People going into deserted malls late at night trying to escape the spiders, people going into the lair of the spiders (which ends in them being chased by a giant Black Widow Spider). Y'know those movies where people do things, and you hear people in the movie theater (maybe it's you) shouting, "Don't go in there! It'll get you!"? That's what "Eight Legged Freaks" plays on.

Basically this film makes fun of every misused B-monster movie cliche, and that's what is so darn funny about this movie.

This film delivered everything I go to the movies for.
½ May 8, 2009
This is about the best Drive-In type movie of the year 2003, it had everything and I am sure that on a drive inn screen it would have been fantastic. I remember seeing it in the movie theater when it first came out, and I was raising spiders at the time( gave them up in 2006). But it was even more enjoyable last night. This is the old school type horror stuff, the special effects were great, I really like the giant tarantula. Chris McCormick played by David Arquette who plays the part to the fullest, he's great in this part and have seen him in other Sci-Fi/Horror parts and he always adds to the show. The radio DJ kind of like a black Art Bell has so funny. The movie will make you sit back and enjoy yourself, Don't pass it up. its worth the buy. One question why in Zombie movies and horror movies does everyone run to the mall, when around here mall's aren't safe to begin with. I have to give this one 4 1/2 stars as I am a sucker for those drive in films
December 2, 2007
I can't believe I was able to watch this movie over and over again, thanks to my nephews. It was funny though!
January 9, 2007
the best stupid movie ever. scarlet when she was a youngster
November 3, 2007
it was an ok movie made me jump in places espicially if your terrified of spiders so worth a watch
June 27, 2007
Great spider effects, with them jumping all over the place and getting people all messed up. But the story belongs back in the 1950's with all the invasion movies. I don't enjoy that style of film very much. David Arquette looks silly plastered on the movie poster so prominently.
June 17, 2007
A pretty good comedy B-movie horror with giant spiders overtaking a small town. Has cool effects to!
½ March 16, 2007
While this is set out to be a trashy B-movie and those only work if they don't take themselves too seriously, this one is so intentionally ridiculous and sometimes even has a cartoon-ish feeling to it, that there is not real excitement building up. Once the action kicks in it's rather entertaining, despite of a lack of plot or dialogues worth mentioning. But the effects are good and it's never boring, at least. Plus it has the young Scarlett Johannson as yummy teeny.