The Eighth Day (Le Huitième Jour) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eighth Day (Le Huitième Jour) Reviews

Page 2 of 11
½ January 16, 2014
What a beautiful film. rarely the cinema shows Down's syndrome like this film does. This is an incredible story of a selfish & work obsessed business man who will find peace through an unlikely friendship with Georges a young man suffering Down's syndrome. It's extremely well shot, beautifully acted & wonderfully entertaining. maybe the Best French film of the year 1996.
½ September 24, 2013
Si comparamos esta cinta con Mr. Nobody, parecería que otra persona la dirige. Es un concepto totalmente distinto, no es ni la mitad de ingeniosa y sin embargo la persona detrás de ambas es la misma: Jaco Van Dormael.
Se nos presenta una historia en la que dos hombres se conocen y juntos logran superarse y ser mejores. Nada nuevo, pero esperen, porque uno de los muchachos tiene Síndrome de Down, y eso es lo que hace esta historia un poco más interesante. Pero repito, sólo un poco, pues con el paso del tiempo, las situaciones y reacciones de Georges se vuelven repetitivas y bueno, la monotonía no es una buena señal en una película. Pero justo cuando empiezas a darte cuenta de ello, el relato se torna más divertido, "aventurero" y desde luego interesante.
El lazo que se forja entre los dos personajes principales es brillante y hasta conmovedor, como la historia en sí, llevando a un desenlace que podría ser triste, pero no lo es.
No cabe duda que ésta una comedia, y las risas son de esperarse, sin embargo no me parece bien que se ridiculicé y haga burla de personas con discapacidad mental, como en este caso, para sacar sonrisas a la gente.
Pero definitivamente la intención del director es buena e intenta transmitirnos un mensaje de tolerancia y aprecio hacia estas personas. Demostrarnos que lamentablemente son discriminados de manera cotidiana, algo sobre lo que debemos hacer conciencia.
Un filme promedio bien logrado que te sacará una que otra carcajada y podrá llevarte a la reflexión.
December 5, 2012
Puts movies like Rain Man & Forrest Gump in shade, Simply touching & powerful with great perfs
October 17, 2012
The drama was golden with the movies, but the fantasy sequences just got out of control and got in the way of the actual story. On top of this, the sequences with Harry were somewhat predictable. On the whole, c'est filme come ci come ca. C'est n'est pas un mal filme, et puis c'est n'est pas un bon filme.

May 21, 2012
me lo ricordavo più intenso
March 2, 2012
This movie is a typical french beautiful film that shows the same great acting as done by the same person in "Le Placard".
February 11, 2008
..."maman c'est toi, la plus belle du monde"...
Petit , non grand chef-d'oeuvre !
August 19, 2011
An emotional rollercoller! A Great Great French film ( Belguim director.)Top class performances by both brilliant actors. Wonderfull story.A MUST SEE!!! Can't agree with the reviewer about FORREST GUMP and RAIN MAN. I love those films as well.
January 11, 2012
A man stares real deeply at his eyes in the mirror, confused, seeking something...but only to be disappointed!
Super Reviewer
May 31, 2011
A beautiful and powerful, Van Dormael's film is magic and present wonderful works of Mr. Auteuil and Mr. Duquenne.
½ April 9, 2011
Rain man a la francesa. Impresiona ver a gente con síndrome de Down actuar tan bien, y sobre todo tener a Daniel Auteuil, que es un actorazo. Pero es demasiado sentimentaloide y artificial en muchos sentidos. No funciona.
March 30, 2011
Do Neo-humans exist?
March 21, 2011
I love showing this film to my French students. It sends a great message about humanity and the universality of emotions. Lots of good themes and issues to explore with high school kids.
Super Reviewer
½ February 14, 2011
Hm, so it seems I'm once again in minority (well, that's not unusual). I found it neither funny enough nor emotional enough. And the major problem: I despise it heavily when logic is defied for the sake of entertainment, while it could have been made equally entertaining while still maintaining (more or less) logic. The movie is way too cheesy for its own good. Harry's attachment to Georges, an invalid stranger, was quite abrupt and seemed forced. Why doesn't he leave him when he gets out of his car? He too wishes to get rid of him at that time. But suddenly he develops a special feeling for him and begins to care for him more than George's own sister. Okay, I understand that he gets soft for him because he also shares the feeling of being abandoned. The relationship could have been better established without sacrificing entertainment. The way the sequences are handled in this movie is quite poor, IMHO. Surely, it reminds one of Rain Man which was far better than this one. I'd rather watch Rain Man umpteenth times than watch this one again. It neither generates enough laughs (I laughed only when Harry was getting beaten by the truck driver) nor enough emotions to moist your eyes.
August 18, 2010
it´s just an incredible history, absolutely is one of my favorites movies, & i really love the music, ... -Luis Mariano-
"Yo tuve un ruiseñor que llego a suspirar para que quiero amor si nadie me va amar..."
Super Reviewer
April 3, 2008
nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes
Super Reviewer
½ May 28, 2007
France's response to Rain Man is a forced and manipulative "feel-good" soap opera. Yeah, I support people with Down syndrome but this forced drama is developed in unecessary areas. The concept of "intertwined destinies" does not work and we are left with a sour taste in the mouth. The more you think about it in the future after seeing it, the more boring it will seem to you. We already have Hollywood for this mediocre efforts.

January 22, 2010
This is a fantastic movie, and by far my favorite Belgian movie. It has many laugh and weep moments, and the story is in a way EPIC believe me or not.
Super Reviewer
January 28, 2009
Very touching Movie. Tissue required to watch this Movie.
May 13, 2009
how can all the actors be all the directors of a film?
Page 2 of 11