Eklavya - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eklavya Reviews

½ October 29, 2007
This movie is impressive! I scowl at those people who have rated this yet do not have a geist of what theater or art is all about. A good cast, wonderful acting and a unique story. Majestic, classy, unique and a good mixture of the modern world and the old ways. Two thumbs up!! Movie Quote: "Eklavya was a low caste warrior of unsurpassable
skills. When Eklavya outclassed the royal princes in the art of archery, the man he had idolized as his mentor, the great guru Dronacharya, asked of him a
terrible gift in return for his tutelage: his right thumb" Note: If youre gonna get this movie, get it with the subtitles or english translations. I assure you, Its worth it :)
April 15, 2007
Wow - another great Bollywood past MIX present flick with an AWESOME CAST - the legneds of the unites with some young guns to bring a mysterious movie about a Kingdoms's Royal Guard's devotion to duty and knowing that his time is cming to an end, so are the fragile secrets he has sworn to hide when the young Prince returns from London to face a crisis in his kingdom, which can shatter the peace and the history of the royalty.

Its well paced and secretive drama - lots of twists and dark settings - an interesting and unique drama from the Bollywood norm.

What a cast!! Big B is the pick of the bunch of course, with my personal fav Sanjay Dutt backing him up and veteran Jackie Sheroff making a good comeback. And Saif Ali Khan is one of the best in new talent today.
½ December 16, 2007
Here's an interesting movie about a young prince who is forced to return home after the death of his mother. He comes to terms with responsibilities and the truth about his real father. As he tries to put life back on track, he realizes that he needs his father more than ever despite that he is a servant, a royal guard to the king. For this father, a man who holds his duty sacred but also wishes to know his true children, Nandini and Harsh. Great cast- Saif Ali Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, Vidya Balan, Jackie Shroff, Jimmy Shergill, Sanjay Dutt, and Sharmila Tagore. Good music. Great movie by Vidhu Vinod Chora. Fantastic cinematography. Worth seeing!
December 18, 2007
Fabulous! Full of suspense, action, family secrets, devotion & loyalty, with the bitter sweetness of love set in a historical setting. Depicting a Hindu religious epic.
½ March 14, 2007
I think the references to Shakespearean tragedies and the shocking ending in addition to the great art direction and acting make this an awesome film.
½ October 29, 2012
A complete one man show. the one and only AMITABH BACHCHAN steals the show.
October 27, 2012
A hard-hitting movie by Vidhu Vinod Chopra as a director!
½ November 24, 2011
EXCELLENT movie that was well-acted by everyone!!
½ September 8, 2011
I really liked the story, the cinematography and acting. It's not just another bollywood romance flick... [I wanted to say this the day when I watched this movie, but It was certified flop at that time, thanks rotten tometoes]
½ March 5, 2007
It's almost perfect. I loved the visuals, characterization, acting and above all the concept. To be able to weave a good story with a plot and at the same make a philosophical point. To what exten should one follow one's 'Dharma'? What is one's 'Dharma'? Is it what the scriptures define? Is it what you pledgegd and promised? Or is it, in the end, solely based on your intellect and rationale?. The society needs movies like these, in this age of fantics in all walks of life.

I would have given it a perfect ten, but for the ending. I have never managed to understand why Indian directors tend to become stupid in the last ten minutes of every movie. The movie handles subtleties such deftly throughout and then in the last 10 minutes looses its grips becomes almost ridiculous.

Regardless of the endingh, it's definitely a must-see.
February 17, 2007

The Director ? Vidhu Vinod Chopra - reputed with 2 decades of successful cinema under his belt. The star cast ? outstanding ? Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, Jackie Shroff, Saif Ali Khan, Jimmy Shergill, Boman Irani, Sharmila Tagore, Vidhya Balan, Raima Sen and Parikshit Sahani. The concept ? brewing since more than 25 years; the work on the story, screenplay and script ? painstaking; the details looked into the production ? perfect!

The story of Eklavya revolves around the Royal guard ? Eklavya, played by Amitabh ? of the palace in Devgarh, Rajasthan in post independence era, who?s secret of fathering the twins (Saif and Raima) of the queen (Sharmila Tagore) is disclosed on the death of the queen. With this the story unfolds and Amitabh starts performing his duty as a Royal Guard with the murder of the king (Booman Irani) only to know that the murderer is none other than his son ? the heir of the kingdom ? Saif Ali Khan. Does he kill Saif to perform his Dharma is the question poised in the end. Sanjay Dutt plays the village lower caste cop, Jackie and Jimmy plays the villainous part; Parikshit the Royal driver and Vidhya his daughter.

The story is surely interesting, and all actors have performed their part very well and with all the resources it had ? it was a sure formula for success!? But a big ?NO? is the answer. The movie fails to connect and I felt as if I am viewing a sober re-make of 70-80?s movie ?Raj Tilak?. This is a movie for all students studying Script writing and Director (in that order). It perfectly shows ?What one should avoid? when writing a script and directing a movie. I am 100% sure that each and every scene and detail is well crafted out in the script ? word by word, image by image, page by page, and that is reflected on the screen.

But the whole approach is immature ? coming from a veteran director. The characterization is poor, each scene is like a stand alone scene of enacted on stage, each single scene is stretched to unbearable limit of irritation, the music on the over-stretched scene is jarring, the sync sound is badly recorded, each dialogue is a pick-up from 60-70s pot boiler, and even with range of emotions given to the characters, all actors are under-utilized and wasted.

A good movie on paper does not necessary result in a good movie on screen ? is the big, loud and clear message one gets after seeing this crap.

Only saving grace of this movie is the cinematography.

Saif Ali Khan?s beard reminded me of Rajesh Khanna movies where his hair used to grow long and short within a span of the same scene. It was strange that the palace did not have electricity, but Saif came in a latest helicopter wearing Swatch watch, and traveling by Scorpio and the funny part was when Sanjay Dutt in the last scene mentions about DVD player. Wasn?t the impression given to us that the movie was based soon after independence ? when India became a Democracy? I think Vidhu Vinod Chopra ? got messed up in the historic hangover of timing!

Just a trivia ? On seeing a long queue waiting for the movie ? I told an Indian ?Please save yours Euro 10 per ticket ? the movie is ekdum Bakwas!? He replied me ? ?Amitji hai, kaise bakwas hogi? Apka nazaria alag hai!?

Sahi mein?

CNN- IBN gave 2 stars out of 5. I am giving it 2.5 stars ? but out of 10.

(2.5 Stars out of 10)