El Bulli: Cooking In Progress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Bulli: Cooking In Progress Reviews

½ August 4, 2011
Taking the word "documentary" incredibly literally, EL BULLI: COOKING IN PROGRESS is a document of the food development process at a cutting edge Spanish restaurant. The chef closes the restaurant for six months so he and his team can create the molecular gastronomy wonders that makes his restaurant so strange and popular. But because the film is unfiltered by the filmmaker in any way, he just points the camera at them and watches, very little emerges, except for the fact that this food seems very strange, and as far as I can tell, kind of off-putting. There's time spent in the lab, then time spent at the restaurant premiering the dishes, but all I learned is that weird food can be served in tiny little bites and still look beautiful but sort of inedible. In the end it left me wanting to cook some Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and watch CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS - food and a documentary, American style.
August 5, 2012
A wonderful non narrated document of the creative process at the, now closed for good, culinary Mecca, that was El Bulli.
½ May 25, 2012
Film is shot and arranged in a very high-concept manner--so befitting of such an avant-garde restaurant as El Bulli.
April 23, 2014
Ferran eats like a slow loris.
September 15, 2013
Five Stars could simply be given to the crazy head chef Ferran Adria and his artistic creativity that turns concept into reality. This might not be everyone's cup of frozen tea cubes in a sugar cone cup but it worked for me.
March 18, 2013
For anyone wanting to be a chef, or for those of us just curious about the creative process, this is a film that will grow on you as minutes tick by. I couldn't imagine when it first started that I'd enjoy it, but it was nice to be so wrong.
December 28, 2011
Like all geniuses Ferran Adria is a bit of a chaotic. Thus he's fun to watch (and to hear - his French is hilarious) but the patience of the audience can be strained if you shoot him testing his food for a 10-15 minute sequence - the only part of the film that was tedious though.

Thanks to school education I have some insights how restaurants and haute cuisine work but for people with lesser knowledge about the vast differences and funny similarities between the El Bulli and the real world I can only assume it's a boring and complex film. The lack of commentary and narration is also part of the problem - sometimes even I would have needed a little explanation what the product is they're cooking with.

It's impressive how different on so many levels Adria's team works and what he creates. Although I prefer a tender steak to his molecular creations it's like admiring spacecrafts and astronomists without ever want to go to space himself.

Also excellent editing work and a clear vision of the director what he wanted to do. I found it as pleasant as I expected and got some really neat insights in how the most radical cook of our time works.
October 16, 2011
This chef is definitely one I am inspired by and respect greatly, and was thrilled about seeing this documentary. However, I felt that this documentary couldve been so much more. Towards the end of the movie, I was fighting to stay awake. It was very "fly on the wall" documentary and I enjoyed seeing the chefs doing what they do, although I wouldve loved more commentary from them and more insight into the food itself.
September 28, 2011
As a culinary student it was an eye-opener to one of the geniuses in the industry. As interesting as the food can be the producers of the documentary did not do a very good job. The slow and draggy month my month goes by with just watching the people at work. There should have been more interviews, food critics opinions and commentary.
½ August 22, 2011
We are living in a rennaissance of documentary filmamking but this one harks back to a time to when documentaries were boring and had nothing to say.

No narration, no interviews and nothing happening throughout the film. It's a worst-case-scenario execution of a good premise.