El Bulli: Cooking In Progress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Bulli: Cooking In Progress Reviews

April 23, 2014
Ferran eats like a slow loris.
½ September 27, 2013
I've never really been into documentaries. And this one just sounds interesting, if not truly wonderful.
September 15, 2013
Five Stars could simply be given to the crazy head chef Ferran Adria and his artistic creativity that turns concept into reality. This might not be everyone's cup of frozen tea cubes in a sugar cone cup but it worked for me.
March 18, 2013
For anyone wanting to be a chef, or for those of us just curious about the creative process, this is a film that will grow on you as minutes tick by. I couldn't imagine when it first started that I'd enjoy it, but it was nice to be so wrong.
November 26, 2012
The lack of voice over and the spontaneity of the story are welcomed. A bit boring, too zen. The weakness of this documentary was that it failed to explain Adria's philosophy and genius.
August 5, 2012
A wonderful non narrated document of the creative process at the, now closed for good, culinary Mecca, that was El Bulli.
½ June 15, 2012
el boredom. seriously. a documentary with no clear direction. just a videographer's capture of a day in the life at the then #1 spanish restaurant in the world that succumbed to foreclosure last year due to dreadful finances. we don't get to see the brillance and genius of ferran adria. fell asleep twice during this screening.
June 3, 2012
If you're a foodie, this is a 'must see'. It'll also shatter any dreams you might've had about working at a Michelin 3-star restaurant. The movie gives us a glimpse of Chef Ferran AdriĆ  at work: part scientist, part artist, part maestro, part diva. We also get a very close up view of Ferran and his team producing dishes, amazing dishes, hundreds of amazing dishes in one season at his restaurant El Bulli; dishes created seemingly on the fly but in fact improvisations on themes hammered out over months (even years) of methodical research and experimentation.
½ May 25, 2012
Film is shot and arranged in a very high-concept manner--so befitting of such an avant-garde restaurant as El Bulli.
½ March 30, 2012
I really wanted to like this, but it is a little on the dull side. Some interesting food, for sure, but as film, it fails to really tell it's story well. The best part is the photo montage of "The Menu", which plays into and over the closing credits.
March 28, 2012
A fascinating look into El Bulli, the mecca for those who follow the restaurant and culinary world. I gave it 5 stars because I was happy to watch a movie about El Bulli regardless of how they shot the film. But I would have liked a bit more insight into how they pull of 30+ courses in a night of service and some scenes of the dining room and guests, including guests reaction to the food. But towards the end the focus on Chef Adria eating his own food during service was priceless and the culmination of the end featuring the menu in beautiful photography was perfect. It was after all a celebration of the food, the chefs and how they pull it off! I hope to one day enjoy a meal like this whether it be at Chef Adria's next venture or Next in Chicago where Grant Achatz is working his magic. I also highly recommend the book The Sorcerer's Apprentice's for more insight into El Bulli.
March 23, 2012
A documentary about this famous restaurant. The movie is a bit long but it is still interesting to let us have a look of the secret of this creative organization.
February 1, 2012
They looks like scholars in laboratory more than cooks in the kitchen and dishes they have created looks artistic more than delicious.
It is interesting that famous Ferran Adrią is influenced by Japanese food , he uses many words and foods from Japanese like uzu, shabushabu and matya.
I can not eat their dishes even if El Bulli exists still now, I mean I can't afford it , but can enjoy them by eyes in this film.
January 30, 2012
the restaurant itself is amazing, and it's lovely to take a look at it like this, but as a documentary, it could do with more narration and structure.
ray
December 28, 2011
Like all geniuses Ferran Adria is a bit of a chaotic. Thus he's fun to watch (and to hear - his French is hilarious) but the patience of the audience can be strained if you shoot him testing his food for a 10-15 minute sequence - the only part of the film that was tedious though.

Thanks to school education I have some insights how restaurants and haute cuisine work but for people with lesser knowledge about the vast differences and funny similarities between the El Bulli and the real world I can only assume it's a boring and complex film. The lack of commentary and narration is also part of the problem - sometimes even I would have needed a little explanation what the product is they're cooking with.

It's impressive how different on so many levels Adria's team works and what he creates. Although I prefer a tender steak to his molecular creations it's like admiring spacecrafts and astronomists without ever want to go to space himself.

Also excellent editing work and a clear vision of the director what he wanted to do. I found it as pleasant as I expected and got some really neat insights in how the most radical cook of our time works.
October 16, 2011
This chef is definitely one I am inspired by and respect greatly, and was thrilled about seeing this documentary. However, I felt that this documentary couldve been so much more. Towards the end of the movie, I was fighting to stay awake. It was very "fly on the wall" documentary and I enjoyed seeing the chefs doing what they do, although I wouldve loved more commentary from them and more insight into the food itself.
September 28, 2011
As a culinary student it was an eye-opener to one of the geniuses in the industry. As interesting as the food can be the producers of the documentary did not do a very good job. The slow and draggy month my month goes by with just watching the people at work. There should have been more interviews, food critics opinions and commentary.
½ August 22, 2011
We are living in a rennaissance of documentary filmamking but this one harks back to a time to when documentaries were boring and had nothing to say.

No narration, no interviews and nothing happening throughout the film. It's a worst-case-scenario execution of a good premise.