El Bulli: Cooking In Progress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Bulli: Cooking In Progress Reviews

April 23, 2014
Ferran eats like a slow loris.
½ September 27, 2013
I've never really been into documentaries. And this one just sounds interesting, if not truly wonderful.
September 15, 2013
Five Stars could simply be given to the crazy head chef Ferran Adria and his artistic creativity that turns concept into reality. This might not be everyone's cup of frozen tea cubes in a sugar cone cup but it worked for me.
March 18, 2013
For anyone wanting to be a chef, or for those of us just curious about the creative process, this is a film that will grow on you as minutes tick by. I couldn't imagine when it first started that I'd enjoy it, but it was nice to be so wrong.
½ March 11, 2013
Showcases the creative process behind El Bulli's exquisite dishes. Ferran Adria and his team of elves brainstorm and experiment in zen-like mode to create dishes out of this world. Too bad the restaurant has closed.
February 16, 2013
Molecular gastronomy.
November 26, 2012
The lack of voice over and the spontaneity of the story are welcomed. A bit boring, too zen. The weakness of this documentary was that it failed to explain Adria's philosophy and genius.
August 19, 2012
Boring. Got really tired of the scenes of Ferran eating.
August 18, 2012
You'll need to know the El Bulli back-story, and definitely love your food, but if you do there's some incredible insight to be had from this arms-length doc. At the heart of it Adria's icy management style whichever his on-screen presence compelling. If you're looking for a gripping story then forget it, but of you're interested in how genius and imagination are wrangled into truly world beating food then it's a must-see
August 5, 2012
A wonderful non narrated document of the creative process at the, now closed for good, culinary Mecca, that was El Bulli.
½ June 15, 2012
el boredom. seriously. a documentary with no clear direction. just a videographer's capture of a day in the life at the then #1 spanish restaurant in the world that succumbed to foreclosure last year due to dreadful finances. we don't get to see the brillance and genius of ferran adria. fell asleep twice during this screening.
June 3, 2012
If you're a foodie, this is a 'must see'. It'll also shatter any dreams you might've had about working at a Michelin 3-star restaurant. The movie gives us a glimpse of Chef Ferran AdriĆ  at work: part scientist, part artist, part maestro, part diva. We also get a very close up view of Ferran and his team producing dishes, amazing dishes, hundreds of amazing dishes in one season at his restaurant El Bulli; dishes created seemingly on the fly but in fact improvisations on themes hammered out over months (even years) of methodical research and experimentation.
½ May 25, 2012
Film is shot and arranged in a very high-concept manner--so befitting of such an avant-garde restaurant as El Bulli.
April 22, 2012
I did not like this documentary. It was interesting to see the creative process of Adria and his team but the film is so dry and sterile that it does not make you want to have his food at all. I should be salivating when watching a food documentary!
½ March 30, 2012
I really wanted to like this, but it is a little on the dull side. Some interesting food, for sure, but as film, it fails to really tell it's story well. The best part is the photo montage of "The Menu", which plays into and over the closing credits.
March 28, 2012
A fascinating look into El Bulli, the mecca for those who follow the restaurant and culinary world. I gave it 5 stars because I was happy to watch a movie about El Bulli regardless of how they shot the film. But I would have liked a bit more insight into how they pull of 30+ courses in a night of service and some scenes of the dining room and guests, including guests reaction to the food. But towards the end the focus on Chef Adria eating his own food during service was priceless and the culmination of the end featuring the menu in beautiful photography was perfect. It was after all a celebration of the food, the chefs and how they pull it off! I hope to one day enjoy a meal like this whether it be at Chef Adria's next venture or Next in Chicago where Grant Achatz is working his magic. I also highly recommend the book The Sorcerer's Apprentice's for more insight into El Bulli.
March 23, 2012
A documentary about this famous restaurant. The movie is a bit long but it is still interesting to let us have a look of the secret of this creative organization.
½ March 22, 2012
For food lovers and restauranteurs, this is the ultimate in artistry, science and food. Fascinating! So interesting to see the science behind food and all the different ways you can prepare one food like the sweet potato and what you can extract from it! The final photos of the courses were gorgeous. Wish I could have gone there. Loved watching Ferrian eat his own food so calmly.
February 1, 2012
They looks like scholars in laboratory more than cooks in the kitchen and dishes they have created looks artistic more than delicious.
It is interesting that famous Ferran Adrią is influenced by Japanese food , he uses many words and foods from Japanese like uzu, shabushabu and matya.
I can not eat their dishes even if El Bulli exists still now, I mean I can't afford it , but can enjoy them by eyes in this film.
January 30, 2012
the restaurant itself is amazing, and it's lovely to take a look at it like this, but as a documentary, it could do with more narration and structure.