Elektra Reviews

March 22, 2007
Good fight scenes and a much more plausible story line than I expected. I think this movie gets slammed far more than it should.
May 5, 2012
By far, the absolute worst Marvel movie to date. "Elektra" is a spin off of "Daredevil" and completely goes off the tracks with a bad story, and horrible acting. Jennifer Garner stars as "Elektra" a hired assassin who has come back from the dead and reunited with her old sensei Stick(Terence Stamp). She's hired to kill a father and daughter, but her conscience kicks in and she protects them instead of killing them. "Daredevil" is a superhero movie that is over the top, but in a lot of ways based in reality. Here, "Elektra" just moves into this supernatural-esque world, that doesn't make any sense. There's a guy with tattoos that come to life, a woman who turns people to stone(kind of) with a kiss, it just seemed so fake and ridiculous, it's hard to take any of this movie seriously. I know, I know, how can you say this is fake when you love a movie like "Thor?" Watch both of them, and tell me which seems more realistic. Garner may be hot, but my god she can't act in this movie. She just has this pouty look on her face the whole time, and the father/daughter duo, I was hoping like hell they would die. Skip this absolute turd of a movie, and watch "Daredevil" again, or any other movie for that matter.
deano
½ August 29, 2006
Jennifer Garner is a sweet-faced assassin and she works hard in the fight scene. But this version of the Marvel Comics character, and spin-off from 2003's Daredevil, lacks backbone.
On the plus side, rival assassins such as Tattoo, whose tattoos turn into fighting accessories, are imaginative; the photography is first-class. But the film stalls in ridiculousness: for example, Elektra's corset-and-heels fight outfits.
TheGame90
February 28, 2011
A lot better then I expected. A pretty okay story and somewhat entertaining. Definitely watchable.
stevenecarrier
February 7, 2011
I really don't mind "Elektra". While the plot takes itself much to seriously, Jennifer Garner makes sure things never get too out of hand. Garner really throws herself into the role when she really had no reason to. After all, they are making a sequel to a terrible film, without the main character, using that films most interesting side character, who also happened to be killed in that film, brining her back to life and then making her the star. This is pretty ridiculous stuff. But what makes the film charming is that it embraces that 80/90s mentality where the plot is dumb and over the top, but the main action hero makes it fun and watchable. Regardless of all that, the film is well shot and edited (aside from the goofy flashbacks and slow-motion). "Elektra" is pure non-sense, obviously, but it has a nice visual style and an incredibly watchable Jennifer Garner doing what she does best.
November 28, 2009
I'll give it to Elktra, at least it tried to be a good movie and a more serious representation of the source material. The Hand actually appeared and Stick was brought in. Added to that, Jennifer Garner did a complete 360. Her acting in Daredevil was pretty bad, but she was actually very good in this. Sure this gets corny at times, but i'd choose it over Daredevil any day of the week. As an action movie, it's got some decent sequences and the characters are all pretty cool.
½ May 18, 2007
Uninspiring and predictable. Get an additional half a star for the action sequences.
½ January 23, 2011
Is this a joke? This movie was fucking terrible! Two thumbs down!

Grade: F
June 26, 2010
not a good movie, there are some cool parts but jennifer garner looks hot in the red outfit so up half a star. C
½ May 16, 2010
Although it is extremely limited on action, it seems that, that is perfectly fine. There are a few amazing scenes, give or take the corniness of a couple. I wish the story was a little more thought out, because it could have qualified as one of my favourites. The only problem with that was the movie felt like a sequel, but a fantastic sequel at that expense. It seemed like the second movie of a series, because the whole transformation into the main hero was never established, only reflected on. I really liked this movie, I don't care what anybody else says.
FilmFanatik
½ March 25, 2007
All together terrible.
FiLmCrAzY
September 9, 2007
well not as good as daredevil but its still entertaining with some funny bits!
To be honest its got some really good action that is entertainingthat anybody can enjoy!
garyX
½ April 27, 2007
Reprising her character from the (rather dull) Daredevil movie, Jennifer Garner is resurrected from the dead as a deadly assassin to save a girl whose talents are being squabbled over by the forces of good and evil. Quite why this is, I'm not sure as her talents appeared to be nothing more than being quite good at kung fu, although nowhere near as good as anyone else in the film. I have to say, it shares a lot in common with the previous film. There are some nice visual effects, particularly those involving Tattoo's living body art and the action is adequately handled, but there really is not enough of it. The only attempts to flesh out Elektra's character are a constant stream of clumsy flashbacks of the same single event and Garner doesn't really have the charisma to carry a film on her own; more often than not she resembles the captain of the cheerleading squad rather than an enigmatic and cold blooded assassin. All the peripheral cast are equally uninteresting, Terence Stamp once again turning up for the paycheck and sporting a shock of white hair atop the kind of orange tan that a game show host would be proud of. This combined with a soulless and by the numbers script that lacks any real character and the result is never terrible; just instantly forgettable.
February 28, 2009
A spin-off that only just ties in with it's predecessor. Elektra is now an assassin for hire, which doesn't make a terrible amount of sense. After all her father was killed in Daredevil by a hired assassin so one would assume she'd be led the other way in life. It's like Bruce Wayne becoming a mugger. The first half is an assassin film. Fairly well made and enjoyable. Suddenly magic powers come into play. Though many of these are interesting, tatoo's coming to life for example, no explanation is made to put this in a similar world to Daredevil. Assassins and magic just don't mix that well in present day settings. Everyone's a bit boring as well and there's nobody having as much fun as Farrell did. Everybody's so serious it sort of brings a downer on everything. Nothing great but nothing truly terrible.
December 27, 2008
This movie is OK. The standard good vs evil played out in martial arts battles. The good (Jennifer Garner) struggles with her life choices. I guess you have to figure out how to balance the good warriors vs the bad ones, but I don't like the idea of anyone having the ability to bring back people from the dead. How does one ever end a battle if you dispatch someone and they just pop back into the picture again?

(I have never seen Daredevil or read the comic book, so my review might be missing that aspect).
Passenger1986
½ October 26, 2007
I'd like to ask a question to almost everyone (Jennifer Garner being the lone exception) involved with Elektra a few questions: do you all hate Elektra or something? Did reading her comic fill you with hate? Does she represent the person who turned you down when you asked them out? Because I don't understand how the Hell you screwed Elektra up.

At the beginning, we get some narration about good and evil. Ok, this isn't necessary. I don't care if it explains The Hand or not, I doubt anyone who wasn't familiar with Elektra was going to care and it's a lot of nonsense anyway.

Now, I understand that the film is trying to work on its own and sever most ties to Daredevil (considering the hatred it gets, that might have been the primary factor. I for one thought it was ok, director's cut is better. But that's another story.)
But maybe if it had more references, I might not hate it as much as I do. She's a major character in Matt Murdock's life, a little more light on Elektra's view of the relationship would have been nice.

As contradictory as it would sound, there is one aspect of Daredevil that made it to Elektra that I don't like: the villains. Aside from the fact that Stone and Tattoo suck, they are not villains of Elektra and neither is Typhoid Mary. She has her own Rogues Gallery, why does she need Daredevil's? Ok, he may not be getting a sequel anytime soon (a reboot is rumored but nothing concrete) but come on. I mean, you think the villains in Ghost Rider suck, these guys are much more bland (well, the Ghost Rider villains do suck, but on a so bad it's good level. Except for Blackheart, who just plain sucks so damn much and Mephistopheles, who doesn't suck. Again, I like Ghost Rider and that too is for another time). It doesn't help that one of my least favorite scenes in the movie (not including any with that annoying girl, Abby) involves Typhoid Mary kissing Elektra. That was so cheesy and seemed to stink of "Men like lesbians, let's include chicks kissing huh huh". Honestly, how juvenile were the filmmakers?

Elektra is definitely a movie that can be improved by making it into a five-second movie (if That Guy With The Glasses hasn't done so yet, he should). It's not the worst comic book movie I've ever seen (I will get to that eventually. One hint: it isn't Batman And Robin. The fact that this film and another can beat that in being the worst comic book film is sad) but it's one of the worst spin off films and it's an outrage to a beloved female comic book character, especially one that isn't a rip off (Supergirl, Spider-Woman, I'm looking at you two. Batgirl, so long as it's either Barbara or Cassandra, I have no problems with). She deserves much better treatment than what she got here. Hopefully, if the Daredevil reboot does come about, so will an Elektra one.
June 22, 2008
Enjoying film if you enjoy American Kung fu films, may appeal more to the Chuck Norris type rather than the comic buff.
August 15, 2007
As the newest Marvel movie, Elektra has not left me disappointed. Not in the least. I think it strengthened it's weaknesses from Daredevil and surpasses it's predecessor quite handily. It is not without criticism, however, but I believe this movie was well done, special effects and all.

Elektra gives you a bit more of the history of Elektra Natchios (although it does not say why someone would name their child Elektra,) including her childhood, what happened to her mother and what happened between Daredevil and now.

As the movie starts, you discover that Elektra has been, for all intents and purposes, a paid assassin. That is, until her morals are questioned when she is given the assignment of killing a man and his young daughter, Abby, who have secrets of their own. She decides against completing her assignment and goes into business for herself and decides to protect the girl and her father. I can't really go further into the story without ruining some parts of it, so I'll move on.

The villains, who seem to be a Japanese corporation of some kind, known as The Hand are after Abby and her father, and after her refusal to be involved, Elektra. I liked each of the villains, especially Stone and Tattoo. The special effects for Tattoo were absolutely amazing. So was the final fight scene with the white sheets flying everywhere, while I'm at it. With the villain in all white, it made for an interesting and beautiful finish for the movie. Also, when the bad guys are killed, the green poison mist thing looked awesome too.

Altogether, I think the movie tied itself together real nicely at the end and everything made sense, for the most part (it is a superhero movie, after all). I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys Marvel's efforts in cinema, super hero fans and especially Jennifer Garner fans. I truly believe that no one else could accomplish what she has with this movie.

Anyone else catch the nod to Marvel's Blade: Trinity with the same bow and arrow device used early by Elektra?
thmtsang
½ August 4, 2007
Don't bother. This movie is naf.
½ June 23, 2007
A good very underrated action film. Has some good martial arts fights and SFX! You might like this if you enjoy manga films as well.