Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Elevator to the Gallows) (Lift to the Scaffold) (Frantic) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Elevator to the Gallows) (Lift to the Scaffold) (Frantic) Reviews

March 29, 2007
Many elements of this film were breakthroughs - and it is a wicked cool film. But... I can't help thinking it was a little slight and really relied on those very elements - Jeanne Moreau's haunting performance, the brilliant camerawork and Miles' genius score to carry it. What am I saying? Never mind.
blkbomb
June 20, 2011
Elevator to the Gallows is a solid French thriller, that is very similar to Hitchcock movies. There's a lot of suspense, but no twists and turns. We are told everything that it is going on, but there's still a lot of suspense. All of the performances are very good especially Jeanne Moreau. Miles Davis' score is fantastic and suits the movie well. When people say, "they don't make them like they used to;" this is the type of movie that they are referring to.
jjnxn
December 17, 2007
Clever, atmospheric thriller with a fine Miles Davis score.
sanjurosamurai
January 10, 2008
a hitchcockian thriller that was not only malle's first film but an anomaly in that he never touched the genre again. what he accomplished with this film at 24 years old is remarkable in that so few other crime stories have ever touched the flawless execution and tension building that we find in this film. the miles davis score is perfect as a tone setter considering he recorded the entire thing in one day. the way the film was shot, the intricacies of the plot, and the excellent acting all come together to form a perfect movie. usually in noir style films the detective character is an emphasis, but the great lino ventura blends into this highly detailed story in an appropriately subtle way. a masterpiece of film making.
flixsterman
½ January 12, 2009
Exquisite crime drama that kept me in suspense from beginning to end. It's really three stories seamlessly interwoven and simultaneous, topped off by a Miles Davis score that's just fantastic.
July 1, 2007
If you like "Breathless", you'll like this. A very similar feel to it. And if you like looking at Jeanne Moreau, even better. She's prominent in this and she's gorgeous. A couple of things made me scratch my head and go "Huh?", but for the most part a well-done film, and it gets an extra star because I really REALLY dig how they wrapped everything up. Definitely worth a couple of hours of your time.
½ June 3, 2007
I liked a lot about Elevator to the Gallows despite the suspension of disbelief some elements of the story required (a military badass forgetting his rope and leaving his car running? Come on!) but I really liked the interrogation scene and Miles Davis' score (lots of great extras with him on the DVD) alone is worth the viewing. Watching Moreau skulk around for nearly an hour got a little boring, even if she did it very well and looked very good doing it. I like how everything came together at the end even if it came off as a little boring around the middle.
January 6, 2013
Rating: 2 stars
Arthouse Rating: 2.5 stars

Elevator To The Gallows is the only truly acclaimed work of Malle that I've seen. While it was unique, following two criminal couples with baggage in France, it wasn't particularly good. For one everything felt to coincidental, everything happened at the wrong time, or right time depending on how you viewed the film. I was viewing it rooting against the protagonists. All four of them, I was cheering for the police. Therefore the ending actually did bring some joy to me. I doubt this is how Malle intended to deliver the film though. I also felt like the female performances were amateur. The men did alright, but the woman didn't seem convincing at all. I feel like my rating is a tad rough, but honestly I didn't catch the hype. I'm not saying it's overrated, just not of value to me. I will say though, some scenes looked gorgeous.
GS
April 3, 2012
Very stylish film with a very intriguing premise. Watching this film reminded me of the feeling I had when I watched Godard's Breathless. The cool protagonist and a seductive blonde as his partner, accompanied by a classy score, this is a film that epitomizes the French noir films of it's time. The one problem I had was when Louis cannot steal the German's Mercedes because the German hid something the first gear of the gearbox. After Louis kills him, he manages to drive away in the Mercedes without adjusting any gearbox or anything; it wasn't a huge deal but it was confusing. Although there is quite a break from convention, the ending does not manage to tie up all the loose ends in a completely logical and realistic manner. Malle does cover his tracks and there is not any inconsistency in the ending, however, it seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the film.
February 14, 2008
Maybe this was rereleased in 2005, but it was 1957 or something like that. The Criterion DVD is amazing--it's perfectly remastered. Plus it has an original soundtrack by Miles Davis, which was pretty awesome.
March 22, 2008
Great bit of French Noir by Louis Malle. Superb direction, amazing cinematography and a knockout Miles Davis soundtrack combines with a star-making performance from Jeanne Moreau and great supporting performances to make a treat for the eyes and ears. This precursor to the French New Wave has a well earned reputation!
littlecharmer1959
½ August 29, 2008
'Ascenseur pour l'échafaud' is gorgeous to the eyes and the ears. Every frame of Henri Decaë's cinematography is indeed pretty enough to frame and the Miles Davis soundtrack is superb. Moreau puts in a great performance, the scenes of her walking through Paris really are a joy to watch. Malle succesfully blended Film Noir with the coolness of the Nouvelle Vague and created and truly original and thrilling masterpiece.
July 24, 2008
Good French noir-y fun.
½ August 28, 2015
The idiot will drone on and on.

Julien Tavernier seems to have life set. He is a successful business man, is banging a hot married woman on the side, and is making plenty of money. One day the husband of the woman Julien is sleeping with starts getting wise to their activity and Julien kills him and disposes of the body; unfortunately, murder can be more challenging than a business transaction and life is flipped upside down for Julien.

"Is this a joke? It's not a joke?"

Louis Malle, director of May Fools, Damage, Alamo Bay, Crackers, The Thief of Paris, The Lovers, Black Moon, and My Dinner with Andre, delivers Elevator to the Gallows. The storyline for this picture is kind of slow and methodical with some thriller elements sprinkled in here and there. The acting is okay and the cast includes Jeanne Moreau, Maurice Ronet, and Georges Poujouly.

"Don't sneer at war. It's your bread and butter."

I recently came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to give it a shot so I DVR'd it. I recently watched this and felt it was a bit bland, just okay, and not very...thrilling. There is a nice conclusion here; but other than that, I'd probably skip this.

"It's the same man...I'm telling you!"

Grade: C
December 6, 2012
Extraordinarily compelling. My love for this movie to quote Scranton Regional Manager Micael Scott, "... soars- with... the eagle's-nest..." To give you a little insight into the quote, basically, my total adoration for this biting and perfect dramatic thriller is incomprehensible
½ October 23, 2011
A fun suspenser, where an almost-comic series of errors lead to a mounting body count and a tragic conclusion. Old-fashioned, though, in that the women are so readily victims of love. Great score with jazz giants Miles Davis & Kenny Clark.
June 19, 2011
Talk about tension. HOLY CRAP! A man, Julien Tavernier, is trapped in an elevator of the building he murdered his boss in, only to have is car stolen by a hoodlum couple. To make matters worse, this couple, posing as Tavernier, murders two people. When Tavernier is able to get out of the elevator the next morning, he's got some 'splainin' to do to Florence, the wife of the boss he murdered whom he's also having an affair with. DAMN!
June 15, 2011
"Ascenseur pour l'echafaud" is a unique premise with an above-average execution. When a murderer is trapped in an elevator after his crime, it turns out that this tragic situation could end up being the alibi that will prove his innocence. Enjoyable acting performances, as well as a soundtrack recorded by Miles Davis, make this a classic period piece in the film noir genre. To me, the standout actress of the film was the lovely Yori Bertin playing the wide-eyed flower shop girl who unintentionally finds herself at the center of the films chain of events. My only complaint is that the character Louis is so foolish, but in the end the mistakes caused by his immaturity help the story to end perfectly. You may think that you have this film figured out within the first 15 minutes but you cannot anticipate the events that will lead to the final resolution.