Elling

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Elling Reviews

sarahsaurusann
January 30, 2014
Norwegian. An interesting look into the Norwegian care system. Curious characters. Humorous.
August 21, 2013
Sat on this forever and nearly sent it back to netflix without watching. Then I saw it was a 2001 Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film - the best category there is. I say that because the category seemed to peak right when I got into movies from about 2004-2007. Pretty sure I saw Amelie, one of the other noms in the category, but it might have been a weaker year. Still, pretty decent flick, especially look at the cover.

The story starts when a man's mother dies. He's forced out of the closet, literally. No, he's not gay. Just very neurotic. He ends up in a home and meets another partially disabled man. Despite some awkwardness and some struggles, the two become the best of friends and eventually are able to make it out in the world on their own.

I don't think there's anything particularly moving about the film, as many a film about disabled might do, but it's comical and just a nice movie. I can't judge the actors to see just how well they acted because I've not seen their other work. All that said, a fun, feel-good movie.
June 27, 2013
basically the norwegian midnight cowboy
April 26, 2013
Refreshing to see, two people who are in their late 30s or early 40s from what it seems find each other. They both are obviously different but have the same issues to deal with, they both get used to each others companies and help each other through out the way. The movie has its funny moments, and heart warming scenes as well. Quite nice to see that its never too late to get out and experience the world even if at first you're scared. Sometimes the universe decides to quick you out into the open, of course its a scary change for some but it brings a good change&lessons, like this two characters.
March 31, 2013
A gentle and heart-rending comedy and drama. I loved the character development of Elling and his friend. This film had so much humanity, and eccentricity!
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
December 2, 2012
The movie starts by introducing us to a pair of retards and then digs in their characters to discover their human emotions and intellect...
GabrielKnight
September 6, 2012
An OK odd-couple comedy, not a bad movie per se, but not crazy funny or original. Perhaps something was "lost in translation", and I didn't get the social commentary if that's what I thought it was.
September 3, 2012
One of the best movies I've seen. A true Norwegian odyssey.
June 3, 2012
Sweet little film about the transition from institution to outside world.
April 21, 2012
two strange bedfellows but they are darn sweet together. very feel-good film; no one is evil and nothing bad happens. charming and likable, this one.
April 9, 2012
Oh how I laughed!! Great humour! Kjell Bjarne is my favourite!
Jonny 9.
December 5, 2011
Very reminiscent in tone of the American Indie "Lars and the Real Girl", "Elling" likewise doesn't play the lunacy of its main character for laughs or even for drama so much but rather goes for uplift." The agoraphobic title character as played by Per Christian Ellefsen comes off very much like American actor Tony Randall playing Felix Unger if Felix was afraid to leave the Manhattan apartment he desperately tried to keep neat. Kjell Bjarne (Sven Nordin) is Elling's state-mandated flat-mate although it is never clear as to why he winds up institutionalized. Most of the movie follows the pair's slowly unfolding adaptation to life in the outside world - although Elling only makes limited and therefore seemingly realistic process. Watching this socialization unfold does provide some of the emotional uplift the film aims for; however, the climax which involves a 9-month pregnant upstairs neighbor clearly puts the "foreign" in foreign film and one wonders if it played as other than genuinely creepy in its native Norway. Eventually, Robin Williams will be cast as the lead in the American adaptation (as he was in the equally Norwegian "Insomnia"), John Goodman will play the sidekick and the studio will hire nine writers to punch up the script with more jokes and rewrite the ending. In short, wait for that version.
Elinix
June 21, 2011
Warm-hearted buddy movie if I remember it correctly.
June 12, 2011
Just a dam good film. Really enjoyed it!
Luc L.
February 20, 2011
A refreshing and entertaining film from Norway.
00None0
January 29, 2011
I went to see the stage production based on this Norwegian film in London in 2007 and due to my enjoyment, I bought the film.

Per Christian Ellefsen stars as Elling, a man recently released from a state institution. He is shy, neurotic, obsessively neat and tidy, agoraphobic and is unable to operate in the real world as his mother handled all of his decision making processes for the first 40 years of his life.

As part of his release into the community, he is required to share a state funded apartment with fellow released patient, Kjell Bjarne, portrayed by Sven Nordin. Kjell Bjarne is the total opposite loud mouthed and foul mouthed, scruffy and sex obsessed. If he isn't thinking about sex, he's talking to Elling about sex and if he isn't talking to Elling about sex, he is running up phone sex bills of 4000 Krone.

The conditions of their release are seemingly simple, they must prove to their social worker that they can operate as normal members of society or they lose the apartment, but when going to the grocery store to shop is a major challenge how can they meet their release conditions?

Through two chance meetings, Elling with poet and author Alfons Jorgensen (Per Christensen) and Kjell Bjarn's meeting and subsequent romance with pregnant neighbour Reidun Nordsletten (Marit Pia Jacobsen), the pair look to unconventional methods to cope with the society that is unleashed on their existence.

As this is a foreign language film, you are reliant on the subtitles. However, you can see from Ellefsen's and Nordin's performances that this is your basic "odd couple" storyline.

Ellefsen's portrayal is that of small compact spring - a bundle of nervous energy which looks to take up as little screen film as possible. Elling's voice is that for the majority of the film as you hear his opinions of his relationship with Kjell Bjarne and of life in general.

As befitting a man with a large personality, the portrayal of Kjell Bjarne is a big bear of a character, when he's loud he's very loud. When he swears or talks about sex it's for all the world to hear.

This is a darkly comic script which deals with life problems. However, the script never mocks the issue of mental health and you laugh with Elling and Kjell Bjarn and not mockingly at them.

Whilst this is a film that won't change your life and delivers quiet chuckles rather than belly laughs, please seek this out in your home entertainment store to rent. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Theta Sigma
Theta Sigma

January 22, 2011

September 28, 2010
Elling (Per Christian Ellefsen), um homem de 40 anos com problemas mentais, passou os últimos dois anos em um hospital psiquiátrico, onde foi internado após a morte da mãe. Um programa de socialização faz com que ele vá viver num apartamento em Oslo com outro doente mental da mesma idade, Kjell Bjarne (Sven Nordin). No início até as atividades mais corriqueiras, como ir à esquina ou atender ao telefone, se tornam grandes desafios. Mas aos poucos a dupla vai se adaptando à nova realidade, perseguindo seus objetivos: enquanto Elling se descobre um poeta, Kjell Bjarne procura uma mulher para perder a virgindade.
Cynthia S

October 14, 2010
I am really amazed at how much I liked this movie. At first I had my doubts, but then I just found myself unable to turn it off. These two guys were a hoot! I like how it all turned out. Very nice.