Emma

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Emma Reviews

Shajie
November 3, 2012
Hmmm I watch it whenever it shows on television, i'm not a fan of Kate Beckinsale in this movie. I don't think she suits Emma very well but i do like this adaptation and it is worth a watch if your a fan of the book.
August 8, 2012
Fused Paltrow's Emma with this disgusting TV Drama! :@
October 22, 2007
What can I say? I love period piece romances and this is another classic.
I love Emma's dad in this. He steals the show.
May 6, 2012
Very much like the book making it not as funny as the Gwyneth Paltrow version. Still, it's a good watch.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 30, 2008
A mere patch on the Gwyneth Paltrow version of the story, where that take on the story got everything right this one gets it all pretty much wrong. This Emma is more of a blank slate and churlish, none of the other characters are as vivid either although Mark Strong is an interesting Mr. Knightly but not enough to make up for the other shortcomings. Regrettably flat.
January 7, 2012
What good can be said for this film?...it had nice set design and decent cinematography. But it really lacked in character to audience connection and the way the film is presented is rather dull and lifeless and the acting sub-par. If you want to watch an adaptation of one of Jane Austen's most beloved novels...do yourself a favor and watch the 1996 version with Paltrow instead.
December 13, 2011
Kate Beckinsale is a much better Emma than Gwynelth Paltrow yet not so perfectly as BBC 2009 Mini-Series' Romola Garai. In general all the casting choices are good (perhaps not the most handsome Mr. Knightley) and everyone delivered a nice performance. On the downside there isn't enough Harriet - Mr. Elton screen time to fully comprehend Emmas misjudge on his account. But the biggest faux pas is the too kitchy happy ending as I doubt that Jane Austen would let the different classes celebrate and dance together. But all together a nicely done adaption which is very close to the dialogues of the book!
Nenebelle
April 21, 2008
25 May 2011

Once watching it i realised i had seen it before...this sucked.
kymzii
July 21, 2008
I've seen the newer BBC adaptation (the mini series) and greatly enjoyed that, this film was a lot more lack lustre, but adept never the less.
December 6, 2010
Wasnt my favorite movie. Then again, not my favorite book my Ms. Austen's either.
orozcoluz
January 8, 2010
Fairly faithful to the book, great acting, but the ironic tone is somewhat missing and it is really important, otherwise you end up having a movie about "girl meets boy"...
Imogen W.
May 29, 2010
I enjoyed this adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma. It was more faithful to the book than 'Emma' with Gwyneth Paltrow. However, I feel that neither of these films do justice to the book.

I had mixed feelings about the cast.
Emma - I didn't like Kate Beckinsale's Emma. She wasn't likeable and I found myself doubting whether she quite deserved Mr Knightley. I found her cruel and stupid in her treatment of Jane Fairfax and believed her to be a conceited rich girl rather than a misguided and naive young girl. Knightley's wish for her to feel some doubt in returned affections was hardly executed as she only felt the she was in love with him for a day before knowing that the feelings were returned. Hardly allowing a lesson to be learned or an audience to be satisfied.

Knightley - I really liked Mark Strong's Knightley. He seemed tough but quite gentleman like. However, Jeremy Northam will always be Mr Knightley for me. He played it with a lot more passion and feeling. I feel there was less chemistry between this Emma and Knightley. I almost felt as if she had settled for the sensible 'good' choice who wouldn't let her down after she had witnessed Jane's mistake. It didn't warm my heart like the book did. I usually cry when reading the ending but at the conclusion of the film I was unsatisfied.

Churchill - I hated this interpretation of Churchill. There was far too much focus on the Mr Dixon story and he was very cruel. At the end we are supposed to feel that he is truly sorry for what he has done and forgive him and yet I was not inclined to think any better of him.

Jane and Harriet were played brilliantly. In the Paltrow version I disliked the way that these two were played and felt that Jane was not affected enough by Emma and Churchill's conduct and Harriet was too outspoken and silly. However, in this version both were portrayed wonderfully and I felt all Emma's wrath towards Harriet's vanity and all Jane's pain.

I liked the other castings. They backed up the story well and added comedy and lightness. The story was solid and the plot line unaltered mainly. I personally felt that the casting of Emma was a huge mistake and that she was played wrong. She learned few lessons, deserved very little and, although she is my and Jane Austen's favourite heroine because of her flaws, I felt these flaws were played too greatly to over come and left me feeling that I had little time for spoilt, ungrateful Emma.
vader_of_vjun
May 29, 2010
Nice enough tele movie, but for me, the storyline is just to similair to other Austen affairs. But it is nice and short.
kehlers
May 29, 2010
I truly like movies taken from Jane Austen novels and all the re-makes thereof.

Just as you are able to learn a lot about a rock artist by paying attention to the tunes he covers, you can tell a lot about a writer or director by comparing his/her re-make to a previous version or to the novel from which the screenplay was adapted.

[i]Sense and Sensibility[/i] (1995) is excellent, but it would have been average without Emma Thompson's wonderful performance which glued the production together. Gemma Jones is an ideal Mrs. Dashwood. I do like Hugh Grant, particularly his more recent work, and so I wish he'd been a little less bumbling as Edward.

[i]Pride and Prejudice [/i](1996) is also wonderful. The casting was inspired, with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth mixing it up admirably as Eliza Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy. David Bamber as Mr. Collins, Susannah Harker as Jane, Barbara Leigh-Hunt as Lady Catherine, Julia Sawalha as Lydia, Alison Steadman as Mrs. Bennett and Benjamin Whitrow as Mr. Bennett all give admirable turns. Terrific ensemble acting.

[i]Bridget Jones' Diary[/i] is entertaining turn on [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]. Again with marvelous casting (Sorry UK, Renee Zellweger did carry it off well) and the fun of having Austen hands return - Colin Firth reprises his Mr. Darcy role of [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i], Gemma Jones of [i]Sense and Sensibility[/i] as the irrepressible Mrs. Jones, and Hugh Grant, also of [i]Sense and Sensibility[/i] - adds the magic. The sequel novel is not near as good as the original, but hopefully with the strong cast returning the sequel film will be OK.

Cate Beckinsale's turn as [i]Jane Austen's Emma[/i] (1996) is serviceable, but the production is sturdy and solid and doesn't have the fun of the other Austen movies made at about this time. it is much more serious, darker than the 1996 updated [i]Emma [/i]with Gwyneth Paltrow which has more of the whimsey which is possible with an Austen production.
May 26, 2009
Excellent performance by Kate Beckinsale. Jane Austen's first novel, worth watching & reading.
mysnia
July 10, 2008
Such a young Kate Beckinsale
January 23, 2008
Although they are similar in many respects, have to say I preferred the Gwyneth Paltrow version. Mr Knightley was good, but Jeremy Northam is better suited. Yet still, a very sweet adaption of Austens brilliant book.
June 16, 2007
Very good adaptation, faithful without being boring, but altogether an unmemorable film.