Lucas Gives In To Demands of the Dark Side -- Er, Rabid Fans

Summary

Remember all that geekboy hullabullo a few years back when it was announced that the Original Trilogy ("Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back," "Return of the Jedi") would be released on DVD ONLY in their new-fangled special edition form? (And I'm not knocking the geekboys, mainly because I was one of the complainers.) Well, it seems that George Lucas has reversed his "lifetime ban" on the uncut OT. The unrejiggered Star Wars trilogy is finally coming to DVD. Back to Article

Comments

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Now all we have to wait for is the Extended Verisions of The Saga!

May 4 - 04:18 PM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

who cares. the special editions look far better than the originals. the additional and fixed footage add to the experience- especially for the first Star Wars. the original version is extremely outdated and tacky compared to other classic films from that period (such as Indiana Jones).

ps- whats the big deal of who shot first? im a big fan of Star Wars, and I don't see what all the commotion is for. greedo still ends up dead in the end.

May 4 - 07:07 PM

brasco2069

Donnie Brasco

[b]Firefly...[/b]
the original episodes were a visual marvel when they first came out. The opening scene in ANH has been parodied countless times over the decades.

the new trilogy is an orgy of special effects. Now that isn't necessarily bad, but it is this time because those effects came at the cost of and interrupted the narrative of the story. Special effects should flow perfectly with the movie. You shouldn't be aware of the shift. With Lucas, it was like, "ok here's the story and...NOW HERE'S THE BIG SPECIAL EFFECTS SHOT LOOK HERE...and now back to the story." It totally takes you out of the movie. The characters and the story are what drives any good movie, not glutinous SFX. Lucas went overboard with the SFX but didn't bring the characters and story to the same level. Therefore, most of Eps 1, 2, and 3 were hard to watch. I think the only thing I could watch without sighing was the last hour of episode 3.

May 5 - 09:47 AM

fenderson

Eric Fenderson

surprised there is no box set yet for eps 1-3
or a super 1-6 box

May 4 - 07:34 PM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

Smugglers aren't bounty hunters, they never look for a fight until it's on the table, or..er, across it...they don't want any commotion they just want to run whatever the cargo is from point A to point B. I can see how you could think this way, it does make sense, but Lucas said it, "Han is not a murderer", meaning more than likely my scenario is what usually happens, and c'mon, I think it's badass how greedo shoots with han tilting his head and shooting back, that is awesome!....and yea I'm surprised they haven't come out with a 1-6 set yet, prolly save it until the TV show and or the "3D Movies" comes out, make some hoopla.

May 4 - 08:28 PM

Shetye

akash shetye

I Love this

May 5 - 04:53 AM

filmfanatic3001

Lance Carter

Did anyone not notice this, "will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning"

I don't know about you guys but if it is featuring Dolby 2.0 and not Dolby 5.1 or anything better than I can assure you that Lucas will re-release even a better edition of the original versions in the future.

May 5 - 05:35 AM

mstiefan

Mike Erali

[b]Youngling[/b]
If you have any knowledge of movie, then you know that releasing these movies in dolby 2.0 is much better than releasing in 5.1 or 6.1 or whetevr .1 they have now. If you are taking the original sound, in this case dolby 2.0, and stretching the channels to place sounds among 5 channels and subwoofer, you alter the original sound. If these movies are really supposed to be the original, then releasing them in 5.1 would be idiotic.

There was no 5.1 in 1977.

I didn't buy the new DVD release of 1-3. I was going to, but luckily the walmart I thought was open 24 hours was closed, so I went home and read about the discs and how they were changed. THe new special effects and moving animals and all that didn't bother me, BUT when you take the actors out of the originals and put in digital annakin, or change boba fett's voice to put the originals into line with the prequels, then you have gone too far. You need that crackily boba fett voice.

You know I don't see anyone going back to the original star trek shows and digitally putting furrowed foreheads on all of the klingons to keep continuity of the race. Its a movie, not history.

May 5 - 07:38 AM

mstiefan

Mike Erali

[b]Youngling[/b]

There was no 5.1 in 1977.

May 5 - 07:38 AM

brasco2069

Donnie Brasco

[b]Firefly...[/b]

May 5 - 09:47 AM

General Patton

Patton Smith

[b]OK...[/b]
I've defended this guy to the hilt, but this is ridiculous. He knows his business, but how many times are these guys going to stick it to the fans? I mean, going with the '04 special-special editions and publicly disowning the original cuts like they were red-headed stepchildren, then reversing course a year-and-a-half later? Reeks.

I'm glad they're releasing them the way they should be (or at least giving us the option), but this is such a marketing gimmick. I'm sticking with my own, very professional bootlegs of the OT, with 2.0 and the works. George Lucas, meet ebay. Now eat it.

May 5 - 10:13 AM

Blue Arc

First Last

THIS IS AWESOME. I loved the original trilogy, and I practically grew up with them. I don't care what anyone else says, the original unchanged versions are way better than the special additions. Screw those I want the old trilogy!

May 5 - 10:42 AM

Mattmovies

Matt Grant

[b]Old School Brings Out Interesting Insights[/b]
On Subject: It's interesting how new fans and old fans differ. I grew up with Star Wars, but most of my friends only recently joined the ranks of Star Wars fans. The fans normally see things more Jedi central. This isn't wrong, but the old school fans got more from the original trilogy when it came to spaceships and fringe characters that were cool and interesting. Most of the issues of the old school fans have been with the retooling. As an old school fan, I really have no problem with most of the changes, though. The only changes that I think suck are the Han Solo shoots second change and the Boba Fett voice change. I'm glad they took out Luke's wimpy scream at the end of Empire. Really Empire had the most dialogue changes which, as an old school fan, I noticed had more of a negative impact on me than new visuals or new scenes. To me, Jango Fett's speech was made to slightly impersonate Boba's in the original trilogy. I'm not a fan of the sound changes, but I think if they changed all the stormtroopers voices and left Boba's alone I would be more satisfied. Han Solo shooting second takes some of the wind out of the sales of badassity that Solo is. For me, the point of him shooting first and asking questions later highlights the change in him by the end of the trilogy. I can't think of anything that bothered me about Return of the Jedi. The Anakin thing doesn't bug me that much. All in all, I don't think I'll buy new prints of the old versions until HD DVD or whatever comes after that. I kind of wish the first DVD release had this, but I don't think I would watch the old versions more than a couple of times.
Off subject: The problems of the new prequel trilogy I believe are the same issues that Return of the Jedi had. The structures of the story were nice and many of the ideas were well placed, but the characters and dialogue were not the same. Star Wars is a stew. In that stew is Flash Gordon, Eastern Philosophy, Samurai movie, comic book, fantasy,WWII movie and Spagetti Western. The Western part is where all of the characters and dialogue got their inspiration for episodes IV and V. But in ROTJ, like the prequels after it, that ingredient got negated. That's why Han and Leia and seem without anything to say and the new trilogy lacked weight. Sorry, just had that on my chest. Otherwise, I still think the prequels were pretty cool and fun.

May 5 - 11:02 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

[b]All about the money.[/b]
I wish I was in his will.

May 5 - 02:45 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Well, since I own all the original versions (not bootlegged) on laserdisc, I don't care one way or the other.

May 5 - 02:58 PM

slimjimmy

james lichte

I think the REAL thing here is that Lucas is actually giving us a choice. Yes, the "new" versions were what he had in his mind all along, but it was an insult to all the crew of the first three movies NOT to have these originals on DVD. To some people, the "new" versions are acceptable. To others (me included), it will be great to see these movies on DVD like I remembered them when I saw them in the theatres and on video in the 80's.
Now that we have a choice, we can all stop whining and buy the versions WE want!

May 7 - 03:37 PM

Stclair_99

Sarah Edwards

yes when my friends and I saw Hayden Christisensen at the end of ROTJ There was a collective WTF??!! And this Greedo shooting first crap...its about time Lucas attone for my lost childhood.

May 10 - 10:28 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Good Friday