Best Movies Off the Radar 2012

Summary

The Avengers. The Dark Knight Rises. Skyfall. There were plenty of highly-anticipated, critically acclaimed films that wowed moviegoers this year. But you know all about that stuff already, so we at RT decided to give some love to a few of the overlooked, underappreciated, and, in some cases, critically dismissed movies that made an impression on us. Read on for a rundown of lesser-known gems from 2012 that we think deserve another look. Back to Article

Comments

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Did any of you guys see THE INVISIBLE WAR? Seriously!

Dec 27 - 09:36 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

It's available for instant stream on Netflix. It's a Military documentary! I agree, everyone should see this.

Dec 27 - 05:36 PM

TJ S.

TJ Seher

The Invisible War may get an Oscar nomination (and probably will). That's hardly under the radar...

Dec 28 - 01:07 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Actually, I consider it under the radar regardless; it should be required viewing because it's so damn important.

Dec 28 - 12:52 PM

Nicky Mancinelli

Nicky Mancinelli

I was being hypnotized by Gangnam Style instead.

Dec 28 - 04:08 PM

Brad Jemmi

Brad Jemmi

just read a list of the 10 WORST movies of 2012 and This Means War and People Like Us were both on it. Dont know what to think of those two movies now......

Dec 27 - 09:55 AM

Ignacio Flórez

Ignacio Flórez

I saw This Means war with my girlfriend, it wasnt thaaaaat bad, had a few laughs

Dec 27 - 10:33 AM

Aspen Kern

Aspen Kern

I actually liked both This means war and People like us, but than again I have a fondness for Captain Kirk.

Dec 27 - 03:31 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

It's one of those movies where It's on the border of being a total piece of shit so i can't blame you for liking it

Dec 27 - 03:44 PM

Nicky Mancinelli

Nicky Mancinelli

this means war was god awful and people like us started out strong, and became one of the worst borefests i ever suffered through. i agree the performances in people like us were good, but the movie was terrible.

Dec 28 - 04:04 PM

Randall Qwegg

Randall Qwegg

It means you should form your own opinion and not give a crap what the critics think?

Dec 31 - 10:25 AM

Alejandro Saenz

Alejandro Saenz

End of Watch, People Like Us and Dredd 3D, definitely are really good films that should receive more recognizement. I'm glad that RT staff are recognize them in this list.

Dec 27 - 10:24 AM

Dustin Hill

Dustin Hill

Recognizement? Recognition.

Dec 29 - 02:28 PM

Sam Silbert

Sam Silbert

End of Watch was great. The other two? Meh..

Dec 31 - 02:20 PM

Sharron Riddle Houdek

Sharron Riddle Houdek

I loved End of Watch - it totally took me by surprise - in a good way. Also saw This Means War, which had its funny moments, but was nothing spectacular. Didn't see any of the others, and reading his comments did not persuade me to change my mind.

Jan 1 - 09:52 AM

Ignacio Flórez

Ignacio Flórez

Dec 27 - 10:33 AM

Dan Hogan

Dan Hogan

I'd throw Smashed up there, too. Mary Elizabeth Winstead made Denzel's alcoholism in Flight look ridiculous by comparison.

Dec 27 - 10:34 AM

Joshua

Joshua "LF" Mitchell

Good to see Pirates! Band of Misfits getting some love. Honestly, it's Aardman's best film yet in my opinion.

Dec 27 - 10:38 AM

R.C.

R.C. Smith

I'm with Mick Travis -- "The Invisible War" was an incredible, eye-opening documentary that deserves way more recognition than it got. "Smashed" definitely should be up on that list, as well; Mary Elizabeth Winstead was fantastic.

Dec 27 - 10:41 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

It got some recognition (it's on the Oscar short list), but compared to everything that came out this year, THE INVISIBLE WAR is the only one that matters.

Dec 27 - 12:08 PM

Mathew Jung

Mathew Jung

End of Watch was awesome, just saw it at a hotel and I think it's coming out to rent soon. 100% recommend. I kept telling myself I was gonna see it in the theater but never got around to it...I think "This Means War" is on the HBO-type channels now, and because of this article I'll check it out if I have nothing to do, but I will be pissed if it's as bad as it looks!

Dec 27 - 10:45 AM

Graham Ginty

Graham Ginty

It is as bad as it looks.

Dec 31 - 01:42 PM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

I agree with Atchity. End of Watch is severely underrated, it's one of my favorites of the year. The Grey is also underrated

Dec 27 - 11:15 AM

Billy Bone

Billy Bone

my top 3 this year
django, looper, and skyfall. zero dark thirty will probablly bump skyfall out though.

Dec 27 - 11:23 AM

Matthew Melange

Matthew Melange

I really hated looper because of the basic time paradox problems that are never addressed in the movie. Along with if it's so hard to kill people in the future, why did they do it to bruce willis' asian wife? Other than dramatic effect.

Dec 28 - 12:42 AM

Stan Deeks

Stan Deeks

Clearly, you A) You looked way to deep into a movie that was trying 100% to stay away from time travel as the main point of the movie. and B) Weren't following along. They kill his wife basically on accident, it wasn't the fact that killing people in the future was so hard it was the face that it was easily caught and illegal, hence why you needed loopers. As for the time paradox this isn't a movie about time travel it's about life choices and how you define yourself with a future already planned out. Time travel is a small aspect of this movie, it isn't primer.

Dec 28 - 03:57 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It certainly was not "Primer". That was an excellent movie.

Dec 29 - 12:12 AM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

The characters themselves said the mechanics of it would have your head spinning. It was never about the function of the time travel. It was simply a neat plot device and was part of an awesome movie. I don't get hung up on the details if they aren't distracting, and they weren't here for me.

Dec 29 - 07:46 PM

Nicky Mancinelli

Nicky Mancinelli

looper was (aside from the diner scene) over-rated, skyfall was not, haven't cn django yet, and zero dark is now the academy front runner for best picture.

Dec 28 - 04:10 PM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

Ska-rew you, I loved Looper. And it was better reviewed than Skyfall and Django, just sayin.

Dec 29 - 07:47 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

looper was good but it wasnt as watched as the other 2 movies

Dec 29 - 08:41 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Dec 27 - 12:08 PM

Chad Anderson

Chad Anderson

Why hasn't anyone mentioned CABIN IN THE WOODS?!? Best horror films in at least 5 years, but of course it's a horror film, so it must be garbage. Its one of the best reviewed films of the year. I encourage all who haven't seen it yet to seek it out.

Dec 27 - 12:28 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

It's in my best list.

Dec 27 - 01:29 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

CITW hasn't been mentioned because there was nothing "off the radar" about it (unlike the titular cabin). It was one of the breakout hits of 2012.

Dec 27 - 02:24 PM

Bill Suavé

Bill Suavé

Only assholes use the word "titular". It's a scientifically proven fact. So unless you plan on being an asshole forever, please never use it again. Thankyou

Dec 27 - 03:44 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Some people are easily aroused by "tit" syllables. They have to think of "assholes" to calm themselves down.

Dec 27 - 04:52 PM

Tits M.

Tits McGee

I had the titular line in Star Wars:

"I'm just so tired of all these star wars."

Dec 27 - 05:51 PM

Evan Hill

Evan Hill

Did the guy who named himself "Suavé" really just call someone an asshole?

Dec 31 - 12:21 PM

SixDegreesOf21

Kathleen Runas

I listed CABIN in the WOODS as my second favorite movie of 2012. MOONRISE KINGDOM still on top of my list. and speaking of under the radar, where is Moonrise Kingdom in this list?

Dec 28 - 07:02 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

What is your final list looking like Kathleen, aside from CITW and MK?

Dec 30 - 11:25 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Beyond the Black Rainbow and Holy Motors.

Dec 27 - 01:15 PM

Kyle Gerardi

Kyle Gerardi

Dec 28 - 06:48 AM

Luke Goodsell

Luke Goodsell

Janson, Holy Motors would have been my number 1 if we did an actual 'favorites of 2012' list. It certainly wasn't off my radar.

Dec 29 - 07:06 AM

Janson Jinnistan

It's well known for the art-house crowd, but I don't think it's cracked a million at the box office yet. That's what I was think of as "under the radar".

Dec 29 - 07:39 AM

Janson Jinnistan

But, by all means, I'd like to see the staff's Favorite List too ;)

Dec 29 - 07:41 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

It's in my best list.

Dec 27 - 01:29 PM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

Last Ride and Your Sisters Sister.

Dec 27 - 01:53 PM

Ryan Oliver

Ryan Oliver

Overlooked and Underrated: Sleepwalk With Me, Cabin in the Woods, Seven Psychopaths, and Killer Joe.

Dec 27 - 01:55 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Killer Joe was interesting and definitely well made and well acted, but it almost sinks because of horrible every character in the movie is. There are not even any characters you love to hate, you just hate them. The only character that was not despicable in every way was the daughter played by Juno Temple. I will say, though, the long, drawn out final scene was probably the best thing Friedkin has done in a very long time.

Dec 27 - 03:45 PM

Nicky Mancinelli

Nicky Mancinelli

I agree, Killer Joe and Seven Psychopaths are under-rated.

Dec 28 - 04:11 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Honestly though, Dredd 3D was the most boring piece of shit i've seen in a long time, I just don't understand where the buzz comes from, I actually went to see this because of quite a few recommendations and nearly fell asleep, someone please explain

Dec 27 - 02:07 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

It was an action movie that has both great action sequences and carried by good actors, especially the perpetually-helmeted Karl Urban who almost never gives up that trademark Dredd grimace. Not to mention that it was the best adaptation of Judge Dredd so far (and one of 2012's best comic book adaptations).

Dec 27 - 02:27 PM

Pack Brinton

Pack Brinton

Check out Raid, Redemption

Dec 27 - 02:34 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

I think I'll buy the DVD for that together with the Dredd Blu-ray. I just hope The Raid isn't the one with the English dub, though.

Dec 27 - 04:00 PM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Raid was great action...but that's literally all it was...whenever it stopped movie it fell apart...zero character development. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the hell out of it, but from what I've read Dredd is probably the better film (they were both made at the same time, so the similarities are purely coincidental).

Dec 29 - 02:54 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

See thats what I disagree about, I felt like the action sequences were very poorly done, difference of opinion though, thats what makes discussing film so great

Dec 27 - 05:37 PM

Michael Cole

Michael Cole

I agree, I felt Dredd was like flat soda.

Dec 28 - 08:29 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

I really wanted to see "Dredd". I'll be happy to see it on DVD shelves next month.

Dec 27 - 02:14 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Dec 27 - 02:24 PM

Bill Suavé

Bill Suavé

Dec 27 - 03:44 PM

Dec 27 - 04:52 PM

Tits M.

Tits McGee

I had the titular line in Star Wars:

"I'm just so tired of all these star wars."

Dec 27 - 05:51 PM

Evan Hill

Evan Hill

Did the guy who named himself "Suavé" really just call someone an asshole?

Dec 31 - 12:21 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies