47% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Ender's Game Reviews

November 7, 2013
Ender's Game is a science fiction epic, with a core theme of savagery vs. kindness. Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is a child prodigy, and is given a chance to prove himself at Battle School. Ender must deal with teen angst, bullying, and tactical strategy as he trains to defeats The Formics. The Formics are a fierce bug-like alien race that tried to invade 50 years ago, and Ender must prove himself capable in defeating them.

Ender's Game has some great performances, mostly from Asa Butterfield in the titular role. Two other performances that back him up well in my opinion are Ben Kingsley and Abigail Breslin. All the other roles are there, but I felt that they didn't stand out as much as they should have.

The visual effects and simulated battle scenes are pretty decent, especially the finale. Most of the movie is training games and simulations,but the final simulation is pretty wicked. The movie hits all the right notes plot wise, but is feels very rushed with very little character development. Perhaps there will be improved sequels.
August 20, 2014
An efficient adaptation proves extremely watchable, and still packs an emotional punch
August 19, 2014
Putain qu'c'est chiant, je n'ai pas pu allé au bout.
August 18, 2014
This is a film with a decent middle, but no beginning or no end. It feels like the first and last acts of the film were edited out of the final product. What's left is a WarGames-esque tale that isn't all that interesting. It was nice to see Harrison Ford act with some emotion, though.
August 17, 2014
Sort of blew over my head, this one :)
March 7, 2014
I liked it better than Elysium, but lets get serious, it was for kids, and being a little flashy but dull, it wasn't as "fun" as a lot of other movies I've seen. It was great entertainment, and I don't see why anyone would not give this a 7 or 8 out of 10, and I expect lots of 9's, for simple storytelling, but I admit it was a little childish. But that's what made it so good, for an unreal time at the movies, this was extremely "a breath of fresh air" that was packed with spectacle and heart. It was unreal to watch, as another freaking amazing movie. With so much heart and joy, something that Alice in Wonderland didn't quite do for me, for a kids movie, this one had a lot more heart than Alice.
August 15, 2014
A nice little 'Light Beer' version of the book.
August 14, 2014
I thought this was just a horrible movie. The issue is imo that they left out or changed key details that trainwrecked the hell out of character development. Major plot points from the book were boiled down to seconds and left me confused as to what the goal of many scenes was. Severely disappointed.
August 13, 2014
OK dramatization which ends up being a tragic fable about the the full effects a plan of action can elicit. Mostly predictable.
August 13, 2014
Asa Butterfield and Ben Kingsley are both in this movie, and they were both in Hugo. I find that interesting because, although they are very different films, I feel the same way about them: They are both visually stunning but boring. This movie has a lot of set up; It began to feel like it was all set up! Finally, it gets to the twist at the end, and I just didn't care anymore. Also, I found it silly at times hearing the children trying to talk like adults. I would say this movie was a disappointment overall.
kailismite
September 11, 2013
Watched: 12 Aug 2014
August 12, 2014
Makes a better book than a movie
DanOMovieguy
November 15, 2013
Ender's Game was well done. The main cast all do a remarkable job, and there are some well written scenes. We are even given some emotional scenes in which we are rooting for the hero, Ender. Ender is a memorable lead, he's extremely smart, and the movie succeeds in showing us how he perceives war and sends a good message of what a true leader is all about.The rest of the cast all does a remarkable job, aside from done child actors delivering dialogue too big for them to handle. The ending is very cool and thought provoking, but then it has a difficult time finding out how to wrap it all up. Some moments in the film also felt rushed, while others were very well done. In the end I had a good time with this movie. Ender's Game gets 3.5/5 stars (B).
August 11, 2014
One of those instances in which "the book is so much better than the movie" isn't just a cliche. Constrained to a roughly two-hour limit, there is just no way the movie can adequately show Ender's development and progression towards Command which I found to be so interesting in the book.
October 26, 2013
A bit rushed, not enough time to develop the characters and the pure labor of Ender, but not bad.
August 10, 2014
Very close to the book though it obviously felt rushed in movie form.
August 9, 2014
They train kids to fight aliens in a per-emptive battle. This is very good. The kids learn all kinds of tactics and eventually put them to the test.

Very enjoyable. And a pretty good ending.
November 29, 2013
Entertaining to visualize what I read in the book but it's just a shell of the novel. I would have been much happier with a TV series. This feels like a short synopsis of the events of the book rather than a movie that could stand on it's own.
May 4, 2013
if you read the book, dont watch the movie
Sarita K.
August 8, 2014
Ender's Game was a fascinating film. Very rarely do we get a movie starring young actors that is smart and thought-provoking. What works best about the film is the psychological questions that are raised. In the world this movie takes place in, children are humanity's best hope for winning a war against an alien race that attacked us first. Besides the ethical question of whether it is acceptable to train children to be hardened soldiers and play war games, the story raises bigger questions such as what makes a "good" battle commander? Gaining the respect of your cadets? Playing by the rules, or throwing out the rules completely? Winning, whatever the costs? Understanding the enemy?

These are important questions to ask, especially in a landscape of films where it is all about explosions and special effects, with little consideration about who is being fought.

The film rests on the shoulders of Asa Butterfield, who plays Ender Wiggins. Thankfully, the actor portrays the character perfectly. The character is supposed to come off as physically weak and emotionally scarred, which Butterfield captures. The actor is excellent, particularly in the more dramatic scenes that come towards the end. Not so great is Harrison Ford, because he seems so distant and cold despite appearing in majority of the film. However, he shines towards the end of the movie. I wish Viola Davis' character (Anderson) had been given more screen time, and maybe scenes with Ender. She brings a warmth that is needed in this extremely serious movie.

The film looks great. I was especially impressed with the costumes, set design of the battle school, and the alien itself.

I'll admit that the film had flaws. While it looked beautiful, particularly zero-gravity sequences inside the battle school, it was difficult to understand what the characters were doing. We rarely saw what the "enemy" team was doing and the "attacks" were filmed from a wide angle, so it was hard to see who was hitting whom.

Also, it felt like points from the book were forced into the movie in ways that didn't translate well. For example, the tension between different team members was forced. Also, the weird relationship between Ender, his sister Valentine, and brother Peter felt glossed over, whereas in the books this is very important to the mental state of Ender.

As a reader of the first book, I felt like the film was a faithful adaptation. As also someone who disagrees strong with the opinions of the author, I still feel like the book and movie are very good and can be enjoyed as thought-provoking pieces of art.

I feel like the ending does a great job teasing a sequel. My understanding, though, is the film did not perform well enough to merit one. I may just have to read the books, but I am hopeful for either a film sequel or TV series, which has been discussed.