Ender's Game Reviews

June 6, 2015
Even though it's held back by simplifying the themes and neutering the emotional substance of the book. Ender's game still gets a solid milage due to enough visual flair and solid acting from it's great cast.
June 4, 2015
Hunger games in Space - That's what I see in the film's story line. Though it will disappoint you on some sequences. Script is good, acting is decent. Though you can see it's potential to be an "epic" film rather than an "ok" film to be precise. It lacks of dramatical depth as plot goes on. Rather they make the story more shorter and lacks expectation from the fans of the book. 3 out of 5.
June 2, 2015
hmmmm... Seemed ok then took a turn for the worse.
May 30, 2015
Absolutely solid, enjoyable sci-fi entertainment. A very good mix of character development and action, with the action not overwhelming the plot line.
May 28, 2015
Ender's Game is a predictable movie based off a used premise, and riddled with annoying traits. The "twist" is predictable, and the main character does not retain consistency in intelligence, which gets frustrating. The whiny tantrums thrown from Asa Butterfield can get very cringe-worthy, and Harrison Ford seems to have painted one expression on his face full time. It is an obvious tween movie, with the simple dialogue spitting out the obvious, and the progression of the character is executed with no creativeness. The effects are spectacular to watch, but special effects cannot create magic alone. Ender's Game is a lifeless child's game.
½ October 20, 2013
Ce film mérite une suite.
½ May 24, 2015

This film surprised me.

For some reason, I don't know why, I thought that this film would not be very good. Maybe I was thinking that, because the lead character is very young, this film must be just for children.

I was wrong.

The film is very, very, good. The casting is excellent and superb. This is a top notch production.

The story is excellent. (I have not read the book.) The film makers manage to make some science fiction concepts seem extremely believable.

There are only two things that I didn't really like (and these are meant to be very minor criticisms): (1) I didn't really like the ending and I didn't really understand initially the lead character's reaction to what he had done (I didn't really understand his reaction at first; then it came to me later that in order to defeat an opponent you have to understand your opponent so well that you actually start to empathize with your opponent -this is what they say in the movie); (2) I like Sir Ben Kingsley as an actor but I didn't like him in this role; -personally, I would have cast a talented (largely) unknown actor in this role.

I would rate this movie at 7.5 out of 10.
½ July 6, 2014
Never heard of this movie coming into the theaters and first watched it on HBO. Boy im happy i did not waste 11 dollars on this. Enders Game had nice effects but its corny acting and plot did not impress me. The Sci-Fi idea isnt bad but it couldnt shape itself into a better film.
½ May 19, 2015
Given that this is one of my favorite books, I normally come into such an affair with high expectations. However, given some of the complex themes of the text, I wasn't very eager to even watch the film seeing as I had very little faith that this wouldn't be anything more than a special effects fiasco. For the most part that's all it is. The cadet battle scenes, some of the more exciting aspects of the book, unfolded in a rather dull manner, simply because, well, the visual layout of the scenarios were being designed for me. As I read the book, I had my own idea what the training simulations looked like, which put me in a creative engagement with the text. Upon viewing the movie, it's not that they have the wrong idea what things looked like, in fact the art design of the film is great, but I'm disengaged by having it created for me. Perhaps this can be said to be a problem with all book adaptations, but here I feel it to be worse given that most of the action sequences in the book are the cadet simulations. Due to this, what is meant to be exciting in the film feels quite dull. Having said this, I did think the final "simulation" was rather cool, but the ending, much like it's beginning was horribly rushed. It felt like Ender had more to say, but the film threw in the towel. Not a horrible movie, and I liked Asa as Ender quite a bit, but it's not as engaging as the text; here I could sense myself being in the audience chair, with the book I was just as much stressed by the crisp and orderly military hell hole as Ender was.
May 12, 2015
This movie has all the ingredients to be an epic failure: a paper-thin plot, week dialog, and unlikeable characters. My 11yr boy did like the parts when the kids flew around the room playing a space-age of version laser tag. But, ask him what he thought of the movie as a whole and he'll tell you, "It was kind of boring". That pretty much sums up the movie in one word "boring."

(P.S. I don't know if the esoteric left-leaning views came from the book or the screenwriters, but there in there.)
½ November 24, 2013
Not bad, not great, I'll forget it in a week.
May 11, 2015
Stupid kids in space camp movie. I was surprised at just how little interest I had in this dreck. I watched this Saturday night and it was so bad I couldn't even remember watching it when Sunday rolled around. Garbage.
½ May 8, 2015
What starts of as a bright and fast-paced fare seems to lose interest in its own source work to end as an average movie that wastes the talents of its seasoned cast.
May 6, 2015
It astounds me how low some can rate movies of this quality. It honestly makes me question society's understanding of where technology stands as it relates specifically to space exploration. How much closer to reality some of these concepts are than they are to "sci-fi". Not to mention the moral behind this story!

I guess I'll just enjoy them for the depth of information they provide, and let others follow at their own pace!
½ May 5, 2015
Unfortunately the highest praise I can give Ender's Game is that it's an entirely adequate adaptation of a classic sci-fi novel. The movie is full of mostly decent performances and more-or-less competent effects, none of which ever really gel into a compelling story.
½ May 2, 2015
Good adaptation, stays close to the book in story. Misses some of the intensity that was in the novel tone wise though.
April 27, 2015
It wasn't BAD. It just seemed like a standard sci fi movie to me.
½ April 26, 2015
en verdad, la historia no es tan mala... pero la forma en que la cuentan y el final, sí son malos
April 24, 2015
This is one of those movies that isn't good, but you want to keep watching it!
½ November 23, 2013
They failed in so many ways (differences from the book, pacing, and the sparsity of PETER and BEAN), but it is a thinker, in many ways as well.