Ender's Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ender's Game Reviews

½ April 9, 2016
Good character development, good cast, but felt a little rushed.
March 26, 2016
Awesome interesting movie
January 17, 2015
Okay film that dragged and dragged. Loved seeing Harrison Ford play a great role but other than that performances were just okay. Decent film but I do not think anyone will remember it after a while.
January 4, 2014
3.3/5 Las escenas de entrenamiento se repiten demasiado y llegan a cansar, la duración podría ser recortada, algunos diálogos son para voltear los ojos pa´arriba, y tiene algunos clichés aquí y allá. Pero así cómo tiene clichés (como que sólo halla una niña en el todo el equipo y se enamore del protagonista), también tiene cosas muy ingeniosas, la actuación de Asa Butterfield es mejor de lo que se esperaba y es un personaje súper bien delineado, como es costumbre con esta peliculas, visualmente es genial; y la música en ocasiones llega en encajar perfecto, creando una mejor experiencia. Es ciencia ficción de buena calidad, que merece la pena ver.
March 10, 2016
Really bad, what a let down.
March 8, 2016
Being a pre-adult 12-year old reminds me of my youth experience of wanting to travel to weird exotic places that uses all your 5 senses to such an extent, they become memories locked away and long-forgotten, overtaken by a work-for-the-boss need money to survive lifestyle. As a middle-aged adult, I can intelligently say that the US military wouldnt use a teenager to solve a war, instead all teenage videogamers would participate in a debate to solve this insectoid alien species by discovering their similarity with ants and how to use food as a trap to create genes that would cause males to be born deaf so they won't hear any language communication or know what the queen looks like ::
March 3, 2016
I know a movie of a book is almost always disappointing but Enders Game- the movie felt like it was about a boy who's good at video games. Lame
May 25, 2013
it wonderful sci-fi event that was entertaining and enjoyable as well as the story being told how about we can how it can be manipulated by what we think of the greater good and I think of the consequences
February 16, 2016
It was a great movie. The ending was also hinting at a sequel!
½ February 15, 2016
Orson Scott Card's book was enjoyable, and yet as a person I cannot respect him. And thusly, cannot respect this movie.
February 14, 2016
The book is good, but the movie felt like it was being rushed.
½ February 13, 2016
I had been told by numerous friends that I needed to read the book, and so this afternoon I did just that. Great read, and I highly recommend it. After finishing the book, I rented Ender's Game, and watched it pretty much immediately afterwards.

This was a grave mistake (not watching it immediately afterwards, watching it at all).

What Gavin Hood has done to Card's literary masterpiece is comparable to defecating in one's own hand, and using that to paint a picture similar to those done by cave men on walls many millennia ago. Art? Maybe. Good? Depends how long you can stomach the smell of sh-t.

While the movie shares the same general plot as the novel, the same characters, and some of the lines, that is where the comparison ceases.

The casting was pretty bad. Ender is supposed to be small for his age, but he's much taller than Bonzo, which completely changes the dynamic of their fight scene...

Let's talk about that fight scene. This scene is one of only a handful of times where Ender uses his superior tactical ability to overcome a more capable opponent, and so thoroughly defeat them to prevent further attacks, either from said opponent or others.
In the book we read about Ender tactfully disabling his (much larger) opponent, and then ravaging him to send a message: "this is what I do to those that try to hurt me". He only leaves the unconscious, and possibly lifeless, Bonzo alone when Dink drags him out of the shower.

In the movie Bonzo (who is much smaller than Ender) loses his balance after being pushed away by Ender, and cracks his head against the floor. This doesn't prompt Ender to beat him (even more) senseless, but rather to call out for help for the fallen Bonzo, which is so completely against his character that it was more off-putting to watch than the violence would have been.

While I think this movie isn't worth watching, there are some major differences that I actually agree with. While the Demosthenes/Locke story arc is an interesting part of the book, I don't believe it would have translated well to the screen. The final "simulation" was done quite well, and gave the sense that the adults knew more than they were letting on.

If you've read Ender's Game, and enjoyed it, stay away, because there is nothing but disappointment and

If you haven't read Ender's game (and don't want to/plan on it), and are only looking for a good Science Fiction movie, you would be much better served by almost anything else in the genre.
½ October 13, 2013
Surpisingly entertaining with an interesting, deeper message. Not an award winner by any means but worth a watch.
½ January 6, 2016
Orson Scott Card should be appalled at this attempt of a movie.

Though visually stunning, this retake of the 1985 novel is preposterous.

Completely lacks unity or coherence, fucking mindless.
January 3, 2016
Ender's Game doesn't really accomplish the goals its sets out for but it's still pretty fun. Specifically it's a bit too technical for my taste, and I never really grasped the sport that plays such a big part in the movie. Still it's a pretty great coming of age tale and the cinematography is excellent too. I may not be the next Harry Potter, but it's still pretty fun.
December 31, 2015
Harrison Ford is excellent, and there are some beautiful special effects, but overall the movie is more "ok" than anything else. The book isn't exceptional either, but is probably more enjoyable.
½ December 31, 2015
A great story with great cast but such a waste since the execution didn't turn out to be a perfect one.. Given a wonderful cast such as Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, Harrison Ford, Viola Davis, and Sir Ben Kingsley and all you can make is a decent movie?? Well there's definitely something wrong here.. For the story itself, I think they could write a better script since the ending quite disappointing for me.. Overall, it's still a nice movie to be watched with family and it's quite entertaining, but too bad it could have been a great one..
December 30, 2015
Incredibly thought provoking space opera, especially for those whose expectations haven't been adulterated by reading the book.
August 28, 2013
The visuals were good...but it didn't follow the story... I thought they were kinda lazy when making the movie because they missed key important parts or changed it around, when they could of made it longer and added the stuff. Otherwise it was good!