Endless Love (1981)
Movie InfoA pair of 15-year-olds fall passionately in love, creating all kinds of problems for their parents who think they are too young for such an intense relationship and try to force them apart. Unfortunately, this leads to tragedy. Look for Tom Cruise in his feature film debut.
Related News & Features
Alex Pettyfer and Gabriella Wilde Will Make Endless Love
In Other News...Brooke Shields, Paris & Paris, and David Lynch
– Rotten Tomatoes
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.Login
Critic Reviews for Endless Love
Is Brooke Shields truly obsession worthy? And can she carry, commercially, another movie about another kind of obsession? The answer is no.
A Cotton-candy rendition of Scott Spencer's powerful novel, Endless Love is a manipulative tale of a doomed romance which careens repeatedly between the credible and the ridiculous.
The movie as a whole does not understand the particular strengths of the novel that inspired it, does not convince us it understands adolescent love, does not seem to know its characters very well, and is a narrative and logical mess.
Anyone unfamiliar with the story of Scott Spencer's novel is bound to be mystified by Franco Zeffirelli's latest film, which reduces Endless Love to a whimperingly latter-day Romeo and Juliet with a little pyromania thrown in.
Trite Blue Lagoonish dialogue trivializes this film adaptation of Scott Spencer's first-rate 1979 novel of obsession but does not spoil it on the level of pop romance.
Vaguely interesting for causing controversy at the time, this tacky tale of illicit teenage romance hasn't aged particularly well.
A bad but commercially popular romantic melodrama, due to Brooke Shields' celeb status at the time and the the Oscar-nominated tune by Lionel Richie.
A potentially interesting story of obsessive teenage love is sabotaged by some laughably absurd overplotting.
Love twaddle, perfect for teens.
Audience Reviews for Endless Love
Bad, but kind of liked it. The scene with Brooke cuddled up with her dad while the romantic song plays is all kinds of wrong, but whole movie is kind of a stretch.
Ending was very unclear. I honestly couldn't tell if she went back to him or not.
However, it's an 80's movie, albeit not one I ever watched at the time, being about 7 years old when it was released.
Brooke was very beautiful and I did like her white dress, although I did wonder if they were actually intending it to look like a wedding dress!
I had no idea James Spader was in this. Apparently Tom Cruise is too, although I couldn't pick him (probably a plus!).
Very different to the "new" Endless Love movie, though there are similarities, of course. I enjoyed that, so I'm glad about that as it means I don't have to choose which is better.
Everyone who wants to see this movie does so because of one of the actors. I watched for James Spader, and he was just fabulous. Other than that, this movie wasn't very interesting, and the main characters annoyed me. It's obviously a bad relationship between these two, and it doesn't end well, and a lot of it is boring.More
This love story is alike part of 'Romeo and Juliet'. Brooke Shields was so beautiful, young and sexy of the early 1980's.More
Endless Love Quotes
- I had to see you again. I haven't changed... I love you.
- (after Anne Butterfield tries to seduce him) I know it's difficult to understand, but I can't make love to anybody but Jade. It's just the way I feel.
- I think that night... that night that I came down and saw you with Jade and then made love to my husband... I was making love to you.
- You know what I keep thinking about? A night in the house. I was a little girl, and then I saw David all alone. And I don't know. I just... I wanted to go to him. Was that wrong? I wasn't a happy little girl anymore. Something changed. The first time in my life I was me.
- Life goes on. We change.
- But it hurts. It hurts so much.
- Oh, Baby, it all happened so fast for you. When you live a lifetime you'll understand it.
- But he loved me. He loves me! No one will ever love me as much.
- Many people will love you. You see.
- But not like that. Not like David.
- It was a once in a lifetime thing, David. I know that! And it came in a time when we were too young to handle it. That was the terrible part.
- Of all the things I regret I did, the ones I didn't, are the ones I mourn the most.
Discuss Endless Love on our Movie forum!