Anthony Minghella: 1954-2008

Summary

Anthony Minghella, the Oscar-winning director of The English Patient, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and Cold Mountain, has passed away at the age of 54. Back to Article

Comments

Rusticrub

Scott Reynolds

yeah...he was cool

Mar 18 - 12:57 PM

AnnaKo

Anna Ko

Complications from surgery. He died from a brain hemorrhage following the removal of his tonsil cancer.

Mar 18 - 12:58 PM

wafelz

Max Hirtz

The English Patient and The Talented Mr. Ripley are both great. I think I need to watch Cold Mountain again. A very sad loss.

Mar 18 - 01:11 PM

donwillymo

Will Padin

His funeral will be 162 mins approx. to commemorate how long the friggin English patient was!

Mar 18 - 01:30 PM

AnnaKo

Anna Ko

lol, the English Patient was certainly too long for many guys... I dont think Ive heard a woman complain yet.... twas a film made by a romance junkie for romance junkies. :D That's why I say, not many people had his combination of strengths... include in there, his capacity to feel like a woman :)

Mar 18 - 01:53 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

I loved The English Patient. Yes it was long, but just so beautiful, and entrancing, one of my favorite movies. Haven't yet seen Mr. Ripley or Cold Mountain but will definitely check both out now. A tragic loss. Definitely one of the best visual styles in cinema.

Mar 18 - 04:37 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

@morons:

I hope when you die, people only complain because they have the attention span of an idiot.

Seriously, a talented man has died. And people are whining about their own problems? Show some respect - Respect for a human being, not a director.

Mar 18 - 06:27 PM

Spiderbash

Tommy Thevenet

I swear every time before a huge star I see some comdey that makes fun of the star. With Ledger it was a deleted scene in Knocked Up and with this one it was the Seinfield epsiode where Eliane hated the english patient. Weird thing. Well anyways R.I.P Anthony.

Mar 18 - 06:36 PM

kpizon

First Last

I absolutely despise The English Patient, and don't have much better feelings for Cold Mountain, but The Talented Mr Ripley and Truly, Madly, Deeply are wonderful films. Whether or not I liked his films, it's still a shame for someone so young to pass unexpectedly like that.

Mar 18 - 07:07 PM

arcadefire325

Angela Brannan

He was a great director. R.I.P. and condolences to his family and friends. This is so sad.

Mar 18 - 07:25 PM

clamman27

Rob Clark

@ "Bruce":

like typing "who?" as a comment under an article about someone's death is being respectful?

to the other morons:
and what have YOU done in your life to be remembered for when you pass on?

Mar 21 - 03:39 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships