Erased Reviews

MANUGINO
January 19, 2014
Be careful who you work for.

Good movie! The plot moves quickly from story setup to action, and the suspense never lets up from there. In summary, this isn't the best thriller this year, but it sure is a damn fine viewing, especially if you like the genre. With good production values and that sleek look that blockbusters have it will definitely entertain you.

An ex-CIA agent and his estranged daughter are forced on the run when his employers erase all records of his existence, and mark them both for termination as part of a wide-reaching international conspiracy.
½ November 17, 2012
A smart, swift, confident and intelligent piece of popcorn action movie entertainment. A thinking-man's thriller with charisma and well-done elements that make it terrifically entertaining. It's a sharpened combo of Taken meets Bourne. Aaron Eckhart is fantastic, he adds the right amount of intensity, emotion and even a little bit of heart. A sharp, heart-pounding and frequently gripping edge of your seat thrill-ride that's filled with gripping suspense and exciting action from start to finish.
Cinema-Maniac
October 8, 2012
The last time I saw Aaron Eckhart in a movie was The Dark Knight with a memorable performance as Two-Face and since then I have not heard nor seen give him in anything. Though if this movie is any indication on Eckhart career is that he hasn't done anything worth checking out since then.

The Expatriate is about an ex-CIA agent and his estranged daughter who are forced on the run when his employers mark them both for termination as part of a wide-reaching international conspiracy. The plot mainly suffers from heading into familiar territory that other spy thrillers already explore without any good original ideas. The few good moments that this film has are burrowed from superior films like The Bourne series. The daughter character can get annoying time and it's not actress Liana Liberato fault she gets on your nerves, she just got a very poorly written character. The plot is somewhat interesting when we get to learn about our characters past and despite it plot not being thrilling for a second it wasn't a pain to watch. At least the father and daughter relationship was interesting to see which helps drive the film forward since the spy plot here is in the "been there, done that" category. The plot is unoriginal, but it did have some interesting aspects about it that didn't completely boring.

The acting in this film is stiff from our too leads. Eckhart shows little effort in his part to convince us that he's this ex-CIA agent and not once did I believe him in his role. He stutters most his lines making it more difficult to understand what he is saying. Unlike other actors who played secret agents like Liam Neeson and Matt Damon, Araon Eckhart (he only kills two with his bare hands) is not allowed to kill many people chasing him down due to low budget. Liana Liberato is a bit better in the acting department, but her character will get annoying times. Though for some odd reasons she looks exactly like one of exes from my high school years. Despite our two lead stiff performance their chemistry is very believable. The supporting cast don't fare out any better, but some of them at least tried to put some effort in their performances. The cinematography is good here and you could tell the director tried to do his best with what was given to him. He does make the best of the action scenes despite their obviously low budget to make decent looking and despite the plot lacking thrills the director does show he cared in telling a story.

The Expatriate is too familiar to separate itself from other spy thrillers and despite a good effort in it direction it's not thrilling in any way. If you haven't seen many spy thrillers this might give your money worth, but for the rest of us it's just better to watch the spy films this burrows from.
½ July 20, 2013
Erased is the prime example of a movie which simply does not need to be made. Ostensibly, Erased is a 'thriller', about the ever-ubiquitous ex-CIA agen ("black ops as the movie often reminds us) who is set up as part of a vast conspiracy, and the ensuing cat-and-mouse game that results. Unfortunately, Erased doesn't deliver on its premise to any real effect, resulting in something that feels bland and lackluster in execution.

Erased's script features stilted and obvious dialogue, in a story populated by actors that are thinly written and one-note. The conspiracy never makes much sense, and is very poorly integrated in to the film. What good spy thrillers do is involve the audience in a mystery and chase for the truth that is tension filled, what
Erased does is give vague exposition with bland action, and no real sense of stakes. We never care about what's going on, because the film never seems to.

The acting in Erased, though filled with a talented cast, is poor all-around. Aaron Eckhart does not have the intensity level required for such a role, and is matched with Liana Liberato, a child actor who suffers from the terrible script. The other supporting actors are all bland and just "there", with no one doing anything to elevate the material.

The actions scenes are terribly un-interesting, filmed in the most obvious ways imaginable. What action does transpire feels muted and thrill-less. There's never any tension to be had, things just seem to unfold in a "going through the motions" manner. This is undoubtedly a testament to the bad direction, which does nothing to distinguish the film.

A disappointing all around execution.

1.5/5 Stars
September 7, 2013
THE MOVIE IS FUN TO WATCH AND HAS A LOT OF ACTION TO KEEP YOU INGAGED. DONT THINK MUCH OF THE DAUGHTER IN THE MOVIE BUT OVER ALL OK
½ August 8, 2014
Yawn.. movies like this are a dime a dozen really, nothing too exciting going on in this one. By tomorrow my memory will be 'Erased' of ever having seen this.
January 11, 2014
So Erased inst a perfect movie and it does borrow things from other movies like Taken but overall I was surprised how much I liked it. Especially considering I hadn't even heard of it when I found it on Netflix. Eckhart and Liana Liberato as Eckharts daughter are actually pretty good. And the story isn't a complete rip off. It more of a collection of ideas from several spy movies. Worth a rent!
November 6, 2013
An okay action flick. Aaron Eckhart was great, but the character of his daughter was annoying as all hell.
September 8, 2013
Not bad. Aaron Eckhart has a good screen presence, as usual, and makes a good protagonist. Whoever plays Eckhart's daughter is really annoying at times, often bitching about how she's missing her friends and stuff while rogue CIA agents are trying to kill her and her father. Olga Kurylenko is also a solid addition to this film, and I wish we could've seen more of her character. All in all, a cool espionage movie--nothing special but still interesting to watch.
½ August 11, 2013
I watched this movie on Xbox Live because it was the free movie of the weekend. It is now on netflix I believe so if you are interested in watching it you can go there and check it out. If you have ever seen Unknown with Liam Neeson then this movie is very similar to that. Aaron Eckhart is pretty good in this movie but its decent at best, it's worth a watch
August 2, 2013
A straight to DVD movie, if that is any indication. It had decent enough action, some nice looking women and some ruthless if not all to believable bad guys. Why Aaron did this movie I'll never understand...Maybe this was part of his contract with the studios. He had a less than memorable role in Batman and his best was Battle Los Angeles. He wants the part of a comic book hero...He's got step up his game and polish up the skills and stop doing these crappy "B" movies.
½ July 29, 2013
Erased suffers from a predictable storyline, an uninspired script and bland action sequences resulting in a thriller that's not so thrilling.
½ July 28, 2013
Erased was a halfway decent movie but it failed to deliver on many accounts. For one, the plot was incredibly weak, and this was a surprise because the premise had so much potential. The concept of an ex-CIA agent turned blue-collar guy trying to make a living but getting duped by a shell company and having to fight for the survival of he and his daughter seemed very interesting. However, the failed execution due to poor writing where the only way the plot either progresses or reaches conflict is through character stupidity is a let down. The acting was solid by the entire cast, though I think Olga Kurylenko was underutilized. The action sequences were pretty legit as well. All in all, it's worth a free watch but if I would've paid money to see it, I would've been pretty disappointed.
½ July 21, 2013
More of a thriller than an action film and doesn't tread any new ground compared to anything else you've seen but cool to see Aaron Eckhart be a tough guy. I can totally see him as an American version of James Bond.
½ July 21, 2013
This was a pretty fast paced action movie. If you like Eckhart you will want to rent this one on dvd. Don't know why it didn't make it to the movies. The acting is pretty good, it's one of those C.I.A. / Jason Bourne type movies.
½ July 16, 2013
Arash Amel's plot is a hodgepodge of threadbare motifs, liberally cut and pasted from every thriller you've seen.
½ July 7, 2013
Aaron Eckhart (Rabbit Hole, The Dark Knight) is such a better actor than this movie allows him to be. The entire film -- including foreign locales -- is a riff on the Taken series starring Liam Neeson. In Erased, Aaron Eckhart steps into the role of a ex-CIA agent in Europe (Belgium) who discovers that the lives of both him and his daughter have been marked for termination/death. He must do all he can to stay ahead of the lethal bad guys and beat them at their own game of cat-and-mouse. The Taken franchise has flaws -- many of them -- but Erased has even more. There are a few twists and turns and some poorly written scenarios -- like "uh, no" -- but the majority of it is formulaic seen-that-all-before, predictable hooey.
½ March 23, 2015
Eckhart does try his best to make this action thriller exciting. Unfortunately the writing was a bit weak. The conspiracy wasn't worth caring about and was a bit convoluted. There wasn't an "aha moment" that you crave for when stuff hits the fan. Bottom line, basically lots of eye rolling and deep sighs.
February 10, 2015
Efficiently directed, smartly written and well-acted...it's a pop-corn thriller. Liam Neeson might have his hob nail boots all over the genre but Aaron Eckhart makes an efficient understudy. This is a well made 90 mins of cheap tailoring. It won't change the world, get an Oscar or a BAFTA but it will keep your attention and engage your thoughts for its running time - especially if you're a father!
July 12, 2014
3 Stars! There are too many movies that are similar to this, it's not even close to being as good as the others. Great casting though as well as Eckhart's performance.

3 Stars.