Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare Reviews

December 22, 2013
Its a bit heavy handed in its attempt to make you care about the issue via real life examples rather than simply giving you all the facts up front, but it never takes away from what its trying to get across...the disease management, medical industrial complex of a monster that is the "health care system" of this country is not only broken, but close to being in complete shambles and the only way for it to change is for EVERYONE to be completely informed about what is actually happening...it would have been better suited to delve into why the system is so broken rather than just pounding away at the fact that it is in such a state...there is so much of this pseudo'factual propaganda contrived by certain political and economic groups and networks for nothing more than essentially brainwashing the American people in the hopes of maintaining of power and wealth...it is a truly sickening notion...and the truth of the matter is that change can not be made until the root of the issue has been eradicated...burning the current 'infrastructure' and rebuilding a true health care and management system from its ashes may seem like an overly drastic step to take (and perhaps it really is too much to hope for), but until people really and truly understand that the only way major changes to come into affect is to take extreme actions nothing can or will happen
Overall, I can only hope that what someone takes away from this film (or maybe even this short review/rant, depending on how you interpret) is that things need to change and the only way for that to happen to is spread better understanding on the issue and take action, no matter how large or small
February 21, 2013
One of the least biased assessments of our healthcare system, as well as a few good suggestions. I'm glad we're finally talking about this.
February 5, 2015
Fantastic movie on American health and the future to come.
July 9, 2014
Excellent, not just a big idealistic view but actual examples of full scale successful implementation of the right way to do healthcare.
May 3, 2014
Great film on the health care system and how we can change it for the better.
March 16, 2014
Interesting, but not that much new, lots of obvious things, and the audience that sees it won't be the audience that needs to learn what it's teaching.
½ February 16, 2014
As one who reads a lot and watches a lot of documentaries, I'd already heard a lot of this information. But it never hurts to be refreshed on such an important issue. At the end of the day, the documentary reminds me how incredibly broken this country is.

The basic premise is that America's disease care system is no healthcare system at all. It's a system that (barely) treats illness, usually at great cost. We spent $2.7 trillion on healthcare in 2011. $300 billion was prescription drugs. If any other commodity rose at the rate of healthcare since 1945, we'd be paying like $144 for a gallon of milk...whatever the figure.

And that's what I took from the movie. We are supposed to be the greatest country on earth but we can't figure out how to be healthy. Health goes beyond paying insurance and rx companies gobs of money. It goes beyond treating only the symptoms. But that's how the American system is set up: pay for services rendered and by the patient. A lot of hands go empty if we actually help the perpetually ill and/or get them off meds.

The film also focuses on the military. The one interesting thing to come out of that is the use of acupuncturist too replace drugs. Some early studies show promise, but what's more macho than "chomping on narcotics" and complaining about your bag being so heavy it compresses your spine?

As per usual, it's at least good for a discussion. The sources seem to be legitimate and the points legitimate. Doesn't matter. You can't change America.
December 22, 2013
½ December 18, 2013
Scary to watch... but should be a MUST SEE!!
½ October 4, 2013
Well documented and I am glad not to be living in America and even gladder that I have not been inside a hospital for treatment for many many years
½ May 20, 2013
very biased, with alot of disproval/provable statements (1 in 5 americans.....). Producers focused on professional witnesses that supported their view point with out giving the counter point
½ March 23, 2013
Important for medical students!
½ February 27, 2013
Excellent documentary.
February 26, 2013
The biggest problem with our medical system is that it is trained to treat the SYMPTOMS and NOT the CAUSE of the health issue. It is like the OIL light on dash of your car coming on and you cutting off the light. Doesn't mean you are not still out of oil.... just means you don't notice it anymore. The underlying health problem is still there, you just don't see it anymore. LET'S DO COMMON SENSE HEALTH.
February 21, 2013
November 11, 2012
I want to see this. Watching c-span. Talking about how medicine doesn't want you to die but it doesn't want you to get better. Just keep coming back. That is BS! And we are at the half way mark compared to the rest of the world in projected life span....ridiculous!
½ October 24, 2012
An interesting and compelling documentary about the state of health care in our country. This fast-paced and well-crafted film helps explain how the incentives in our system have derailed healthcare to become "disease-care." It also shows a few very personal stories about the importance of focusing on true "health care" and not medications or quick fixes. It's a smart film that is neither preachy nor political.
October 12, 2012
very well done! hopefully more people will see it!