E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Reviews

bbcfloridabound
September 14, 2007
Steven Spielberg is one of the most famous directors in the world and E.T. The Extra Terrestrial is one of his most beloved films, which is remarkable considering he has made films like Jaws, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and the Indiana Jones series.

In a Californian town, Elliot (Henry Thomas) is a lonely 10-year-old who lives with his single mother (Dee Wallace), teenage brother Michael (Robert MacNaughton) and younger sister Gertie (Drew Barrymore). Elliot is picked on by his brother but one night he finds a strangled alien in his back garden. Quickly Elliot befriends the alien who he calls E.T. and the trio of children both teach and aid E.T. who has telekinetic and healing powers. Soon Elliot and E.T. share a psychic link, but the longer E.T. stays on Earth the more ill he becomes, effecting Elliot. Added to the mix is a mystery government agency is hunting for E.T.

Spielberg knows how to manipulate emotions and he certainly does it with E.T. . You feel for both the alien and the children. The characters are well defined, Elliot is the character most children can relate as he is a normal middle child who has intelligence, missing his father and is picked on by his brother. He is decently played by a young Henry Thomas and none of the acting was terrible. I personally like how Michael was portrayed: he is a bully, gets his younger brother to act as a slave and makes fun of him, but he is also protective and when it manners will come good for his younger siblings.

The animatronic used for E.T. were top of the range at the time for time and looked really effective, giving E.T. emotion and physicality. I saw the 20th Anniversary DVD version which clearly added some CGI touch ups to E.T. and has the notorious scene where two guns are swapped for walkie-talkies: but it is hardly game breaker because the film is so great. John Williams also gives us another excellent film score, including a very famous signature we all know and love.

E.T. is a touching film for good reason and it is a great film for whole family. 9-20-2004
½ August 10, 2007
SO WONDERFUL! It's even sadder and more heartfelt watching this as an adult! The bikes flying is so triumphant, and the sibling loyalty is touching. Henry Thomas is hella amazing, in all his shrieky terror and drunken stupors. I'm surprised he didn't get nominated for an Oscar!
thmtsang
May 26, 2007
Excellent movie about a boy who finds an alien and tries to help him get home. I cry every time I watch this movie. My favourite scene is the iconic bicycle ride by moonlight. Amazing!
January 11, 2012
If you have not seen this movie at least once, then I must ask you one thing: Why? E.T. is about an alien who is accidentally left on Earth by his spaceship and he befriends a young boy named Elliot who soon discovers him. I want to start by saying that the opening title for the movie is just plain eery. There's a weird and deep sound playing in the background it doesn't really sound like music. Then it just shows these short, dark figures moving around in the dark and isolated forest. I was about 5 or 6 years old the first time I saw this so I was under the assumption that this was some kind of horror movie. As the movie progresses, we're introduced to Elliot and his family. Elliot is played by Henry Thomas and he's really good in his role. Most kid actors usually suck, but Thomas is an exception. Drew Barrymore plays Elliot's little sister and she's the most well-known person in the movie. Yep, despite the success of E.T., most of the actors careers never got boosted and Barrymore was able to move on to other stuff like.....Family Guy? Anyway, I also feel the need to address a scene that scarred me as a child: The scene in the cornfield when Elliot is looking for E.T. in the beggining of the movie. It's a very creepy and tense scene and when the climax of the scene hits, your kids might end up having nightmares. When Elliot and E.T. eventually see eachother properly for the first time, the friendship starts and you immediately buy it. Elliot is the middle child in his family, his parents are divorced and you obviously get the sense that he's a lonely person in need of a companion. If he didn't meet E.T., I'm pretty sure he would become a drug addict. All the scenes with Elliot and E.T. are really well done. They're full of humor, emotion, a strong sense of curiosity and understanding and it makes for a great story of friendship. The special effects for E.T. are also fantastic. I've always preffered puppetry over CGI and this is one of those movies that shows why. It just pisses me off that Steven Spielberg went back and updated the film so that E.T. is a shallow piece of computer animation in the DVD. Not only that, but he also did a lot of stupid shit like digitally replacing all the guns with walkie-talkies. It may seem like I hate CGI, but I don't. I think it's a great and useful tool, but I just hate the people who overuse and abuse it. I'm just glad I own the original VHS copy of this movie. While speaking on technical aspects, I also have to praise the music for the film. John Williams did such an excellent job on creating a memorable score. It's an unforgettable piece of music and it's one of my all time favorite scores. Without spoiling anything, I'm also going to comment on the ending. It's such an emotional scene that always overwhelms me. It perfectly ends the movie and it's one of those things that just makes you sad. E.T. is one of my all time favorite movies and I don't see myself getting bored with it. It's a classic and if you haven't seen it, then find a way to watch it.
August 22, 2008
Spielberg breaks boundaries and moves mountains with this phenomenal blend of sci-fi and family fun. The young kids (including and up-and-coming Drew Barrymore) present brash enthusiasm and classy acting to go along with the brilliant effects and score. E.T. is a beautiful picture to view over and over again. 4/5
½ December 26, 2006
classic
June 13, 2011
Steven Spielberg's ultimate masterpiece. The film manages to convey the importance of friendship, family, and love in a way that is touching without getting overly-sentimental. Everybody from the child actors to the adults give great performances. The special effects work for the character E.T. are so fantastic that at one point I forgot that E.T. was a special effect. I doubt the movie would have felt complete without the fantastic music score by John Williams. Despite taking place in a suburban town, Williams makes the film feel epic nonetheless. E.T. is a timeless classic that can be appreciated by people of all ages.
½ June 24, 2007
A wonderfully constructed sci-fi gem of a film concerning an alien who lands on earth and is accidentally left behind, and takes shelter with a young, isolated boy (Henry Thomas). The biggest thing this film has going for it is its timelessness, being that it shares universal values, and taps into human's rebellious tendencies, desire for companionship, and nostalgic hey-days of youth so very well. There are a few scenes that probably could have been cut, as well as a little hokey-ness once in a while, but for the most part this is stellar film-making, with a tear-jerking, intense conclusion that would not be as special without John Williams musical score which packs in own emotional wallop. Just a fine all-around movie that will never get old.
Directors Cat
½ November 2, 2011
E.T is an example of what movies were made to be. I guarantee that this charming adorable film will entertain generations of people for many years to come. Absolutley touching but a bit creepy for its own taste.
July 31, 2011
It's a shame this film currently has a 65% rating for the audience. I feel that most of these ratings have come from 2005+ which are obviously going to be very different to a review from 1982. This film is nearly 30 years old and it still delivers a strong message to young and old, but mainly on the younger audience. It displays a remarkable portrait of childhood and growing up. Sure the film is slow at times and it may be a bit predictable, but that is what's special. Films today aren't like they were in 1982, and films will be different in another 30 years from now. It's important to take date into consideration, and not let that skew your judgement. It was an instant hit at release, and will forever be a classic with audiences young and old.
October 27, 2011
Greatest film ever. Period. I disagree with every list that doesnt list this with best film. This was made a decade before I was born but I had an emotional connection I cant put into words. When I was a child I wore out a copy my parents owned and they had to get another. Because of this film, CGI will always seem fake to me, no matter how realistic they try to make it. P.S.- films around the time this came out have been remade in recent years. Personally I will protest any attempt of remakeing this film with CGI or any format
½ June 12, 2006
Charming, magical sci-fi-fairy tale, and a true 80s classic. The excellent child actors carry this film (there is only one adult's face visible for the first 90 minutes), and the E.T. was wonderfully convincing for that time. The message of tolerance and friendship may be naive and predictable, and the melodrama a bit over the top, but it's hard not to lose your heart to this adorable story. A bit slow at times, the magical, exciting showdown speeds things up really well, leading to a heart-warming solution. Adults may grow out of being fascinated by this film, but it will forever be a movie that brings a glow into children's eyes.
March 24, 2007
So I finally saw ET. It was probably the biggest film on my "ashamed I haven't seen it list"

Really solid film, but why is Elliot's room so smokey in the beginning? Does he smoke cigars? and also the light in the shed is insane bright and always on. Who keeps a 10k in their tool shed?
sergioogarcia
½ June 23, 2011
I had a huge poster like this in my bedroom. I had also one of those little rubber ETs and some other toys. I cried like Mery Streep. For a 8 year old kid is a very strong movie and teach you to say good bye and let go. That's what I remember. Now 30 years later is definatelly a great story and Spielberg knows how to work with kids in the best way. Introducing Drew Barrymore and the fantastic John Williams song that until now, still gives me the goosebumps.
DreamExtractor
February 13, 2011
E.T. is one of the greatest movie ever made. It has intense and amazing scenes and (other than Jaws) Stephen Spielbergs debut masterpiece. Whenever you watch this you cant help but feel the masterful genius behind, that what your watching is quite possibly the king of Close Encounter films. The young actors were tremendous and you could tell Spielberg spent a lot of time with them. The character for ET was great and funny which made him very likeable. The music made this movie even more intense because it mystical composing and great theme, I loved the music. The effects were well done and even if there wasn't much effects when there was it was great. E.T. is Americas history along with Jaws, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Batman, Rocky, and many others, and its not hard to see why.
michael e.
May 1, 2011
entertaining, heartwarming, and touching
deano
October 23, 2006
This is my childhood favourite friendship of alien-human film I ever like it - more emotional and family fantasy classic.
A winner, not for the special effects but the extraordinary performances from the kids.
Henry Thomas is delightful and the middle child, Elliott who find and befriends ET. He is not "too cute", but gives a terrific performance, especially when ET telepathically makes him drunk. Drew Barrymoore is so cute as Elliott's little sister throughout the whole film and she captures the audience every time she appears on screen. Peter Coyote does great with the minimal screen time they chose to give him. The relationship between E.T. and Elliot can be marked as one of the greatest friendships in Hollywood history and in the farewell scene that tears me up.
ScoopOnline
April 3, 2007
InTheBasketProgram
Beautiful Movie I have seen it so many times and every time enjoyed it like the first time.
Any Movie Buff should have atleast watched it once in their lives.

If there is one thing I had chance to say to Steven Spielberg, it would be THANK YOU FOR E.T Mr Spielberg!
½ September 6, 2010
The number one kids sci-fi movie of all time! I love this movie, and if you haven't seen it yet, go rent it.
October 25, 2010
One of the best childhood classics, every children have to watch it at least once in their lifetime. Heart breaking and touch us from the bottom of our heart. E.T is one of the biggest achievement of Steven Spielberg. Watch it with your family and feel the experience of watching this outstanding sci-fi movie.