—— Hercules Jul 25

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 15, 2014
Wonderful picture featuring a brilliant and surprising performance by Jim Carrey Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a brilliant affair that boasts a very well crafted story and performances. Mixing elements of drama and fantasy, the film is a refreshing take on your traditional romantic film, and it delivers something totally different. I really enjoyed the film's path on how they handled the material, and Carrey delivers the performance of his career with this one. Since Jim Carrey is known for comedic work, this is a film that proves he is able to act in other genres of film. With this film, he breaks new ground in his career, and definitely makes the film that much better. The story itself is well thought out, and the direction is great as well. This is a terrific, entertaining picture that delivers an engaging two hours of solid entertainment. If you're looking for a well constructed drama that is original and not just another rehash, then this is the film watch. I honestly didn't expect much from this film, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The film might surprise skeptics, and it most certainly impressed me. I thought that this ranked as one of Jim Carrey's best, and it was nice to see him take on a more dramatic role as well. To me, it's always interesting to see comedy actors take on serious roles as we don't know what to expect, and in the case of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, we get a surprising, well delivered performance from Jim Carrey that compliments a wonderful story.
Matthew Samuel M

December 1, 2013
A unique, artistically--and brilliantly---shot film, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is perfectly cast and acted, and features a cleverly written script. One of the film's strengths is the various dynamics that ultimately come together beautifully, as well as its thought-provoking, ingenious use of chronology. A thoroughly enjoyable, must-see film.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
For Michel Gondry's sophomore effort, he reteamed with screenwriter Charlie Kaufman for this deliriously off-the-wall romantic tragicomedy.

After their tumultuous relationship ends, Clementine decides to undergo a radical procedure wherein her memories of her ex Joel are erased . Upon learning she did this, Joel decides to do the same, but, during the middle of the process, Joel realizes he still loves her, and can't bring himself to let her go.
This is a really touching and deep film. It left me feeling a little depressed, but even then, it's still poignant and really well done. The Oscar-winning screenplay by Charlie Kaufman really shines. The wonderfully creative direction and editing are amazing as well. I just love the mix of in-camera and post production tricks to bring the story to life. The films is big on ideas, specifically their ramifications, and the ethics of them as well, and I really wish more films, but especially romantic ones, would follow suit.

The cast is simply spectacular. This is one of the best films of both Carrey and Winslet. And backing them are a top notch ensemble of Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood, Mark Ruffalo, and Tom WIlkinson in major parts. Nobody gives a bad performance here, but, this is easily the Carrey and Winslet show. The characters are neat, well conceived, and enjoyable to watch interact with one another.

All in all, this is a real masterpiece. I could have used a little more blatant levity, but that's a minor thing. Definitely see this one if you haven't, because it is indeed worth the praise and admiration.
Clintus M.
Clintus M.

February 7, 2013
I had difficulty watching this bizarre, yet creative romantic sci-fi tale. Jim Carrey's acting is impressive. He's much more than the rubber-faced comedian who catapulted to success in the 90s. The scene in which Carrey becomes his 4 year old self is terrifically creative- acting,writing, and directing. Also, taking into account this and her performance in The Reader, Kate Winslet is as good an actress as there is. The rest of the cast is excellent as well, especially Elijah Wood, surprisingly adept as the unlikeable, manipulative creep.

This film is thought-provoking, I believe primarily for critics and film insiders. I just didn't enjoy it. Here's a key statement: "I wish I'd stayed, I wish I'd done a lot of things." He's got regrets, so do we all. As painful as life's memories can be, I'm glad I have them. This type of technology would be wrong.
garyX
garyX

December 13, 2006
A shy young man finds that his ex girlfriend has physically erased their relationship from her memory and decides to follow suit. Featuring a screenplay by the king of quirky Charlie Kaufman, Eternal Sunshine is that rarest of beasts; a Hollywood film that is smart, creative and above all, original. Visually very inventive, there are some really nice touches throughout the film often used with great subtlety in the background and it's a very intelligent deconstruction (literally) of a relationship and it's decline. Kate Winslet is every over-educated under-achieving heterosexual man's wet dream (particularly if you have a penchant for neurotic booze hounds with bad dye jobs...*ahem*) and Carrey is at his least irritating, offering by far his best performance. Despite having one foot in the fantastical, it's a very insightful and well observed story that most will be able to relate to, essentially covering everyone's unwavering ability to see nothing but the bad while in a relationship with someone, yet nothing but the good when not. Wonderfully written, brilliantly directed and a real breath of fresh within a genre that's usually mired in treacle, this is a chick flick that the men-folk can enjoy too.
Alexander D

July 16, 2011
Charlie Kaufman is a genius, one of few remaining screenwriters who can structure a film like prose amid the utter beauty of a poem. Only on the rarest of occasions does Kaufman write in an accessible nature, so to speak, but the mesmerizing atmosphere that has been constructed not only holds our undivided attention for as long as it pleases, it also demands further viewings. Not to decipher, but to enjoy the glorious experience once more. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a brave feat deserving of insurmountable praise. We'd generally scoff at a cross between the romance and science fiction genres. It seems like a novel idea for those longing to revisit the golden age of B-movies. But Kaufman can, quite simply, do anything, even make an audience tear up at the end of his romantic sci-fi film.
Adriel L

May 2, 2012
Idiosyncratic film with a lot of charm and a lot of ha-has as well, and ink in a little eloquence too.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 2, 2011
Joel: Look at it out here, it's all falling apart. I'm erasing you and I'm happy!

"I already forget how I used to feel about you."

Genius. Pure fucking genius. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of the most original films you'll ever see. It doesn't fall into one specific genre and it easily ranks as my favorite romantic movie of all time. Despite not being a standard romance film; it still is very much about there being one person for every person. No matter what you do, you can't get rid of that one person. You'll find each other again.

This is a beautiful, funny, emotional, heartfelt, odd, twisted, mind bending, warm, eccentric film. It's beyond words, beyond sentiment, beyond what most movies can do, to make the audience actually feel. I feel every moment of this film. It's sad at times, but by the end, you're caught up in just how beautiful this story is.

Joel and Clementine dated for a long time and when they break up, they're both devastated. Clementine has a procedure to have the memories of Joel erased, and when Joel finds this out, he elects to do the same. That short synopsis isn't really telling of just how original and smart this movie is. I don't want to give away too much because the less you know the better the effect. There's a lot of playing with the viewers knowledge of the situation. There's great connection between characters. Like the secretary and the doctors connection to Joel and Clementine. Just because you have this procedure doesn't mean you can fall out of love with the person you're erasing. I know this all doesn't make sense right now, but just watch the movie.

Eternal Sunshine is one of the most perfect films ever made in my opinion. Michel Gondry directs a Charlie Kauffman script, which if you know Kauffman, you knows he has one of the best minds in Hollywood. His stories are always original, but they also have a lot of humanity in them. The cast here is great as well. Jim Carrey, in his best role ever. He's playing a more dramatic character then we are used to, and is terrific with it. Kate Winslet plays Clementine. Then there's a supporting cast of Mark Ruffalo, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood, and Tom Wilkinson. Each and every one of them are perfect.

If you haven't seen this one yet, I really envy you. Watching this movie for the first time will be something of a joy for you. I know it was for me at least. I've seen this a few times now, and I'm still always overwhelmed by it. I just absolutely love everything about it, and I can't understand how anyone couldn't. It's a must watch and I can almost guarantee you'll fall in love with it too.
Sanjay R

July 9, 2011
An incredibly original and well thought out movie with a great screenplay and great acting by nearly everyone in the film.
Lady D

June 4, 2007
I love twisted mind of the writer of this film. It wasn't always an instant favourite with me, but this is a film I appreciate more the older I get.

Both Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet out of their comfort zones when it comes ot how we are used to seeing them on screen, but both were enjoyable characters.

The concept of the clinic makes for an interesting focal point and twist on a film of Romance.

Entertaining, unique, makes you dust off the parts of your brain you rarely get to use!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
Finally got round to watching this movie from begining to end and i thoroughly enjoyed it!
I love seeing Jim Carrey in more serious roles rather than his usual annoying goofey self and even when his goofeyness was required in this movie it was toned down quite dramatically! Its a great cast, i love the concept and is just an entertaining and slightly confusing at the start which keeps you thinking!
Everything about this movie is beautiful, its beautifully written, beautifully acted and a lovely and beautiful concept with a strong meaning as well! Well worth the watch!
Albert K

April 5, 2011
What a strange but impeccably well-made movie. It's almost a tranquil, dream-like experience that "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" exudes. I would dare to say that this is one of the best romantic movies ever. It's littered with striking images, seemingly sporadic but directed editing, and a narrative that is filled with both smarts and romance. Jim Carrey is awesome and Kate Winslet is not Kate Winslet in this film; she's Clementine. This is a masterpiece. A must see for all moviegoers, young and old.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

February 5, 2012
This is, flat out, one of the best movies I have ever seen and I must have seen it eight times already. It never grows tired. The acting is superb, the idea--that if you erase an experience from your mind has it actually happened, have you learned?--is so intriguing to me it must be hitting some pleasure button in my brain. The "chase scene" through Joely's memory is the best chase scene in movie history. And, as someone who is starting to get the video bug herself, I am now noticing that the editing job is spectacular. Oddly hopeful--we know we're going to screw up, but we charge into relationships anyway.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 14, 2011
A very very moving film with deep character development that you'd expect from a director like Gondry but more then you'd expect from an actor like Carrey. It's very trippy and confusing but like Inception it's so good that you dont have to get it to like it. I got the message and I loved it.
Tyler C

January 3, 2012
A terrifically acted,beyond smartly written,visually stunning work of art. Another home run for screenwriter Charlie Kaufman,excellent performances by Carrey and Winslet,and visually stunning direction by Michel Gondry makes this the briskest,most originally inventive romance drama I'll probably ever see!
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 5, 2010
So perfect! Brilliant in every way...the script, concept, editing, direction, cast, characters, acting (especially Winslet and Dunst)... I honestly could not have asked for anything more from this film. Nominated for 2 Academy Awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Actress, this film is certainly one of the absolute best films of 2004! Incredible film!
Paulo G

October 30, 2011
A unique take on the imperfections of love. Along with its moving story, the actors lived up to the watchers' expectations and presented an utterly breathtaking performance.
Drake T

June 1, 2011
Emotionally, visually and conceptually engaging, the romantic roller coaster of Joel and Mary will resonate in your heart. Even the supporting cast gets to play crucial elements in this beautiful tale of love's imperfections and how it's something to fight for, not something given.

Every time I watch this film I want to fall in love all over again.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a difficult movie to rate, because despite its honest portrayal of the modern relationship and its fragile characters, the strangeness of the plot was confusing. The performances were second to none, and Carey himself is such a driving force of the movie. A good movie that's worth a look, but don't be shocked at what you see. It's all a little offbeat.
Kristijonas F

May 1, 2011
What makes this movie work is the effortless synthesis of trippy, imaginative direction, subversive humor, emotional resonance, and heart-warming romance - all of which, combined with Jim Carrey's youthful presence, amount up to the best romance-comedy in years.