Evangerion shin gekij˘ban: Jo (Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone) (Neon Gensis: Evangelion 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone) Reviews

November 12, 2009
It's hard to imagine that fans of Evangelion won't be pleased with this leaner, gorgeous rebuild of the original anime series. And if you're new to Evangelion, this is a great place to start.

You Are (Not) Alone is a pretty straightforward adaptation of the first six episodes of Evangelion. It's somewhat condensed but still containing all the major moments and plot points. While the next three movies promise new story additions and characters, this movie contents itself with mostly cosmetic changes, along with tightening up the story, a few extra scenes, and eliminating some filler. There wasn't a lot in the first six episodes that needed to be altered.

That means slightly less whining from Shinji. SLIGHTLY.

The animation and visuals are outright beautiful, especially on blu-ray. I could recommend this on that aspect, alone. The re-designed Angels and action scenes are improvements over the original's (especially the sixth Angel), in my opinion and the voice work is great.

Does You Are (Not) Alone make the original series redundant and unnecessary (or vice-versa)? No, I don't think so. Both of them have merit, and both are worth watching. But, I'm very interested in seeing if the next three Rebuild of Evangelion movies rectify some of the mistakes that the latter portion of the series fell prey to.
366weirdmovies
½ October 17, 2010
Tokyo-3 is under assault by mysterious robot-like creatures known as "Angels"; two teenagers pilot the bio-robots that are the only things that can defeat the invaders and save humanity, while simultaneously dealing with high school bullies. The mystical plot is barely hinted at in this first installment of an intended trilogy, but the story wouldn't make much sense anyway, because no one acts anything like an actual human being would in a similar situation; the plot and characters seem to be a necessary annoyance linking together pretty pictures.
½ September 27, 2009
Shinji Ikari: I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away.

A feature film version of a very popular anime/manga. The film is essentially a remake of the anime, condensing the first fourth of the series into a single feature. Not being familiar with the original anime or manga beyond basic descriptions from friends, I came in with an open mind and found a lot to admire. It has an interesting story, striking visuals, a soundtrack that reminded me a lot of Star Fox 64 of all things in a good way, and left me with a desire to see the next three films in the series.

Evangelion is an apocalyptic mech action series, which revolves around the efforts by the military organization, Nerv, to fight monstrous beings called Angels, primarily using giant mechs, called Evangelions, which are piloted by select teenagers. One of these teenagers is the main hero, who seems to be a chosen one of some sort.

The film basically throws you into the world almost immediately, with little exposition, which I enjoyed. I was able to pick up the story just fine and could comprehend who these characters were. For this first feature, much of the film is setup and it does a drag a little in the middle, but in its last act, I really felt that this feature was finding its footing, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Rei Ayanami: Why are you crying? I'm sorry; I don't know what to do of feel at a time like this.
Shinji Ikari: Why don't you try smiling?
February 3, 2012
If you're a fan of the original anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion then you will not be disappointed with this reboot, at least not this first theatrical release. The series ran 26 episodes and had two films that were made to give fans more of a meaningful resolution than the finally two episodes of the series offered which was more of a psychological mash-up of Shinji's mind. The first film of these two was Death and Rebirth (1997) which has the first hour devoted to retelling the series primary plot points and the last half hour dedicated to new footage. This last half of Death and Rebirth make up the beginning half hour of what would be The End of Evangelion (Also 1997) and gives viewers a more tangible, albeit horrific, close to the series story and the character's fates. While the last couple episodes of the series were a psychological delve into Shinji's mind, The End of Evangelion is the outright devastating physical conclusion to the series and a harsh reality to accept.
The first of the proposed four film rebuild of Evangelion, Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone is essentially an introduction to the characters and story line of the series and one that sticks very closely to the original series narrative. There are some slight differences in story and certainly the film boasts a much bigger budget and utilizes the advances in the decade or more since the earlier films and boasts both hand-drawn animation and the latest CGI blended together seamlessly and visually it is gorgeous to view! While I've seen it on Blu-ray and admired the quality, seeing it at my local cinema recently along with 2.22 and 3.33 in a three-film marathon was a totally engrossing and visually sensational experience unlike any other! The CGI involved really adds to the style and feel of the series and breathes new life into the proceedings, especially the angels and their functionality. This first film is condensed certainly but still does a fantastic job at capturing the many battles with the various angels but more importantly it clings to the psychological and humanity of the central story arc and it's Jewish and Christian symbolism all of which add dramatic and visual depth to the series and of course this/these films!
January 5, 2015
Finally got around to watching a friend's copies of the re-worked series, now in film form, and I have to say that I still enjoyed it immensely, even if we've seen it all done over at least a couple times now.

Recommended.
December 17, 2012
For all intensive purposes, the entire movie is a recap of the first episodes from the anime series, except more spectacular, more beautiful, and more passionate. The original anime still has a certain je ne sais quoi to it, but this film remix-the best way to put it-could not have been done more masterfully. The ending leaves a lot of open questions for the next three movies in this remix series.
March 17, 2010
Well, I'm not a fan of the show or anything. My sister is. I've only seen the last two or three episodes and some other random episodes that I wasn't really paying attention to at the time and thus can no longer remember. So, for that reason, I found myself TOTALLY lost during this, despite this being a retelling (of sorts) of the first six episodes. Regardless, I feel obligated to give it at least a three because of the excellent animation quality (Blu-Ray owners say HEEEEY), music, and...well, yeah. It didn't fell that movie-ish to me, at all, but I guess I shouldn't have expected it to. Anyway, if my sister is any indication, I expect this will be heralded my fans who obsess over every little aspect of the show and who have longed to see it in HD and newer animation ever since the former was invented. Oh! And I liked the constant use of red. It was interesting. And Utada Hikaru in the credits made the viewing worth it to me. Erm. Yes. (I also enjoyed coming up with my own storyline since I didn't really get what was going the entire time. The only characters in my version were the kids and occasionally Misato and Shinji's dad.) I'm tired, so I'm going to go to bed now before this review becomes even more poorly written.
½ November 25, 2009
(side note: I only watched 1.11 so it will have to be here for now) A new way to watch the Evangelion series in a new condensed version. It goes by a bit quickly, but its still really great to watch. A bit on the nostalgic side, but its also feels very new because of the new animation. You also see things not seen from the first series, which is probably a combination if you think about it. It is essentially an alternate retelling and works well. This is the start of something old, into new. Can't wait for the next movie. It also promises to have fan service for the next movie for some odd reason...
April 3, 2008
epic re-telling...new animation is mind-blowing, the boiled-down plot is still engaging, etc...can't wait for the rest of the tetralogy
May 29, 2015
It showcases the first 6 episodes of the series and reformulates the whole story.
April 2, 2015
This film was crafted very well, it's accessible enough for those who are watching these for the first time, but if you are I'd highly recommend watching the original anime, but it also has enough very subtle hints in there for fans. It starts out the exact same as episode 1 and the first 20 minutes seem to be exactly the same as episode one but of course, looking a lot different, which might sound like there is no point for these to exist, but given all the subtle, blink-and-you'll-miss, hints, it's a little eerie and implies that something much different is happening. It's mostly the same besides a slight teaser of a popular character at the end but it serves as a nice introduction as things are going to get a lot different very soon. I just love the attention to detail in this, it seemed like every single scene and panning shot and action moment was animated the exact same way as in the anime. It even does some small things that I really like, even down to the tiniest thing like having the same sound effects and with the Eva's still making SNES noises when they shout, it also has the same soundtrack but with everything just remixed and it sounds great, even the same voice cast return and it's great to hear them again! It even has the same interlude that was used during the anime when it was time to go to adverts. The only other thing I'd have liked to have seen return is the original opening and 'Fly Me to the Moon'.

The animation is indeed excellent and looks absolutely beautiful, even if at times it did just seem to show some new scenes where it felt like they were going, 'hey, look. We have a budget now!' which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I suppose. However, I will say that the animation on the Angel Ramiel was amazing and looked very creative and there is also a lot more blood added in these rebuilds. The characters are still great and even though everything had to be condensed down for a film, they still feel the same, even if we don't spend as much time on them as we once did, which will please fans who watched it for the action, but seeing Gendo in HD is absolutely glorious. I don't normally watch the dub but if Robin Williams had have been Gendo, that would have totally been something to watch, as well as that fake cast list that fake cast list that FUNimation released back in 2009, that'd have been interesting, Sean Penn as Pen Pen, I mean, wow. Also, I guess looking back on it and seeing that Robin Williams was such a big fan has a rather deep and sad meaning behind it.

Even with all the praise, like I said earlier about recommending the anime first, does that make it sound like this is inferior? Well, when it is put like that, yes, I guess so but judging the film as it is, it is perfectly fine. Another review called it, 'just another robot movie', and while I don't agree with that completely, it does highlight how different this is from the original 'Evangelion', as the anime was about a lot more than just robots fighting. But I am surprised by just how much I was satisfied with this, it felt streamlined, clearly, but streamlined for good reason and didn't just feel rushed as it very well could have been and it still contained all the iconic moments. The religious symbolism returns, despite the fact that it was apparently chosen because it 'looked interesting', but considering Anno is in charge, I still believe there is more to it and I have my own theories as to what they mean. My only real complaint is that Shinji's classmates feel a tad pointless, they're only in about three scenes and they see Shinji in the Eva very quickly and go from not liking to liking him too quickly and it didn't feel natural. Given how much else that was taken out, I think that could have gone as well, but they do appear more in the sequel, so all is good and even if there was no anime and this was just its own thing, I think I'd mention it anyway. Maybe they could have had that scene where they watch Shinji in the Eva in the next film but that would have messed up the pacing too much. It's funny; no one in their class ever seems to ask Rei why she always has a broken arm or an eyepatch or something. Of course some of the character development, namely Shinji, felt shortened from the anime but of course it would, this is a film, not a series that can go at its own pace and compromises have to be made. It isn't even bad; it's just something you notice if you're a fan. It's ironic, for a character so innovative at the time; some might just think he's a generic angsty teenager here. Given where Shinji ends up I think they could have given him just a little more confidence here, though. It also makes me laugh how NERV seem to have a never ending supply of money but given what they have to deal with I'm sure they have a blank check. The Doritos in Misato's room made me laugh as well.

It took a long time to finally get made and it's the production company's first film and while opinions are divided down the middle to where some might argue their first film wasn't that great, I'm still pleased with what I saw, I enjoyed it. It was streamlined without, then in turn, making it feel rushed and it still has that spark about it that makes it feel like 'Evangelion'. And even if I didn't like this, I'm going to judge it on its own merits as opposed to comparing it by saying, 'oh it didn't do x', 'it should have been more like y', because I have the original anime to go back to. It's like anything, if you watch these first your opinion will be coloured one way and if you watch the anime first your opinion will be coloured another way, that's just how it goes. Although, like most films based on a series, I don't really know why you'd want to watch this if you haven't seen the anime. If I may compare for just a moment, this does feel very clean, unlike the anime where you'd feel something after every episode, this lost some of that but it makes sense and it isn't a complaint, I'm just mentioning it. Co-director Kazuya Tsurumaki only agreed to help if film 3 was about 'the third Rei clone' and look how that turned out. Some could argue that this film was pointless but I do like trilogies that tell one big story as opposed to just being films that just have an increasing number on the end of the title, it's a risky thing to do but when you have an entire framework to work from, it's easier to achieve in film form, looking forward to the next.
½ March 29, 2015
At a modest running time of 98 minutes you're left with too many characters, an incomprehensible plot and too little insight on either. Recommended only to fans of the original TV series.
½ July 29, 2014
Due to it's nature, it benefits from a quicker, more satisfying pace than its anime series counterpart, including just the best and most necessary elements of the respective episodes it covers and some incredible animation that makes this both eye-candy and the beginning of an emotionally hard-hitting journey.
July 30, 2014
Disclaimer: I haven't been a fan of the original anime series, I thought all the characters were deeply flawed and unlikeable. Many say that's point of the show. In any case! Here is all of the content of the first few Angels in the animated series, cutting down almost entirely on the tedious BS! I enjoyed the pacing and production value of this immensely. Makes me want to give the other film re-caps a shot.
June 10, 2014
Evangelion has never looked better and it successfully condenses part of the original TV series for those new to the franchise.
June 18, 2014
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 is a reboot of the critically acclaimed anime tv series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Even though the story in the original got a bit confusing at the end of the series, it's still a landmark in Japanese animation. Now that a reboot to the series is made into a movie, will this be similar to the original or is it a waste of time. Let's find out?

The Story in 1.0 is basically the first seven episodes of the series. Shot in every angle shots with the same exact lines, you might think it's a waste of time if you already saw the series. Actually not really. The reason why the plot works on the material it's based on is because it only covers the first 7 episodes from the original. For example; the plot in The Last Airbender didn't work is because it was based on the first 20 episode of the tv series, making the movie plot stupid and confusing. The story is still the same from the original, but it still enjoyable for the newcomers of the series.

The animation is a major improvement from the TV series since the original went through some budget problems with the used of animation. The background is just beautiful to look at with exact details from the original. The angle shots feel exactly like the original, but the film managed to add more scenes to bring in new material to this reboot. Another major improvement is the used of CGI. The animators done a very good job on the CGI from the Evas and the Angels when they fight each other. The character designs are still the same, but in a good way. The animators make the character fell exactly on what they are from the original. The animation is worth watching in this film than the original.

The characters are obviously the same as the original, but still little material were added to these characters. Shinji is still his typical crybaby who doesn't want to pilot the Evas, but managed to get through those moments as fast as possible. Misato is a great support to Shinji like she was in the original. Rei, Commander Ikari and the other characters still play there roles as how they played in the original. The voice actor in the English version has also improve a lot from the original. Some voice actors had been switch, while others still improve their dub characters from the first 7 episodes. The characters have still been there counterpart selfs, but in a good way.

Evangelion 1.0 is definitely an improvement from the original with an unchangeable well told story, improvement animation and well acted characters from the original. This is a recommended anime film from those who just want to watch this without watching the original tv series, but those who have seen the series will still enjoy it while others believe it's a wasted of time. To me I enjoy it as what it is. Hopefully we will see more in 2.0 cause so far, this is one of the best animated film series based on a cartoon.
½ March 3, 2014
Hideaki Anno brings us back to a new retelling of his famous Neon Genesis Evangelion series! Even though this first out of four films is a retelling of the first 6 television episodes, it brings new elements to the market, and is still enjoyable for any Evangelion fan!
February 3, 2012
January 17, 2014
I'm personally liking the movies, more than the Series.
January 26, 2014
Just as good as the series, but with much cooler CGI.