63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Evan Almighty Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 27, 2007
Evan Almighy is a big success. It's not the worst movie ever and it made over one hundred million dollars at the box office. Bruce Almighty is better, but Evan Almighty deserves credit. This time around, congressman Evan Baxter has to build an ark before God punishes the world with a flood. Steve Carell did a good job, even though once or twice he got on my nerves. He was pretty funny. I think the funniest parts of the film is when Wanda Sykes is in it. She is made me laugh the most. It kind of amazes me that this comedy can turn into a CGI thriller in a blink of an eye. The effects were awesome, as with most big-budget movies. I recommend this film to everyone. 5 Stars 12-12-07 (Updated)
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 24, 2007
Evan (Steve Carell) meets God (Morgan Freeman) who commands him to build an ark to save people from the flood. His family and colleagues think he is going through a mid-life crisis. This movie is better than Bruce Almighty.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 5, 2011
Evan Almighty is the most expensive comedy film of all time. It's effects are superb but it's not worth the money that it cost to make it. The whole sequel was unnecessary in the first place and the jokes were over used and tired. Steve Carell tries to make the film better with an enthusiastic performance but even he cant save this film from the flop flood.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 6, 2011
Evan Almighty is an awful sequel to an awful film. I hated this film, I hated the message it, and everything about it was horrible. The story was bad, the acting was bad the pacing was bad, and as a religious comedy it failed just like the first one. I felt that the entire religious theme didn't work whatsoever, and I felt it was very preachy in the way it was delivered on-screen. The jokes were poorly written, and Steve Carrell, who usually is funny, is wasted here. So is Morgan Freeman. The film is a poor sequel to a film that should never have had a sequel in the first place. Bruce Almighty was horrible; I don't even know why they followed it up with a boring, uninspired preachy sequel. The cast do what they can with such a poorly written script; unfortunately the film can't be saved. This is yet another stupid sequel to a stupid, idiotic first film I really didn't see the point of this film, the film is painful to watch and is so poorly made that you lose interest. You realize that this films premise is paper thin, and the gags are stale, and don'[t hold up well at all. This is a biblical disaster for believers and non believers alike. I was very bored watching, and by the time the credits finally rolled, I was thrilled it was over. A few months after this films release, I resorted to Atheism. A poorly made film and a pointless, unimpressive comedy that has no direction.
Marc L.
Marc L.

September 2, 2011
You know, I love Steve Carrell. He was pretty funny in "Over the Hedge" and VERY funny in "Get Smart". I also really liked "Bruce Almighty". It's one of my top 10 or 15 favorite comedies. So when this came out, I had fairly high expectations. I said the same thing about "The Last Airbender", and all though Evan Almighty is not nearly as disappointing, it's still pretty bad. It's not at all funny, it's boring and it's a disgrace to it's predecessor "Bruce Almighty".

First of all, if you like Steve Carrell in "Get Smart" or "The Office" you will hate this movie. He is not at all funny, using an over the top comedic style that doesn't fit him at all and makes him look incredibly not funny. Seriously, there is not a single funny joke in this entire movie.

This movie is also filled with so many uneeded and unnecessary scenes it makes "Twilight" look like "Underworld". In goof movies, scenes seem to flow together, and most of them are very important to the ending and the story. In here, they just have random scene after random scene after random scene. "Evan is attacked by animals sent from God". Great, let;s get back to the story. "Evan is late for work". Great let's get back to the story. "Evan grows a beard". Great, let's get back to the story. See what I mean?

"Evan Almighty" also completely underuses Morgan Freeman as "God". In the 1st movie, God was one of the most important characters. He helps Evan to learn the lesson of the responsibility of power and control. In "Evan Almighty", he's just here to bully and berate Evan into doing what he wants, and to add comic relief.

Also, this movie completely incorrectly portrays God. In real life, God would try to quietly influence humans into doing his acts. Here, he makes people don his bidding by sending animals to attack them, stalking them, and driving them half insane.

The script in this movie looks like it was written by the animals from the ark. It's dull, uncreative and dumb and had the movie not had actors like Morgan Freeman and John Goodman, the script would be even worse.

Over all, this is a dull, unfunny proposed comedy that was made with shockingly little effort, love or care. It makes Steve Carrell, Morgan Freeman, Jonah Hill and John Goodman look bad.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 17, 2011
Evan Almight is a terrible comedy. The plot was boring and cliche and a movie a 4 year old could write after hearing the story of Noah. The cast wasn't funny and that rare from Steve Carell. The effects sucked and they didn't need a big budget for a comedy. Only thing that went right maybe was the respect they give to christianity. The movie is overall a failure, I did not like it.
Alexander D

July 17, 2011
OK+
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

July 19, 2007
This is a great Movie for huge LOL moments. I found this one was a tiny bit better than the first one.
KJ P

August 14, 2010
This should have been a gimicky film that Jim Carrey took on! Sure Steve Carell did a decent job in this very kid friendly changed film, but it doesn't work. The film itself would actually be very good if the original was never made. Easy to say that this film definitely fails to be as good as the original but it's funny watching once. I have seen it a few times and it continues to get old!
Richard C

July 29, 2010
C-
Anthony L

August 27, 2009
It made no sense what so ever. Everything in this film was rubbish, I hope Carell, Freeman and Goodman got paid well for this (I'm sure they did) because I have not seen a bigger pile of crap like this for a long time. Everything is stolen from other films, esp. Steve Carell's. Tom Shadyac must be laughing!

Did I mention that this film is shit?
EightThirty .

June 18, 2007
Funny Az.. ha ha ha but Bruce Almighty was funnier ha ha ha ^_^
Phil H

August 16, 2007
This is quite a fun comedy, I like Carell and he's good again in this. He's just a very likeable person. the effects are neat apart from the ending sequence and its quite a cool little sequel. Not a straight rip of the first which is good and actually makes you wanna see more bible stories like this haha
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
i like steve carrell and although he brings humour to this film and is pretty good the sequel to bruce almighty doesnt live upto its predecessor, its not got a great storyline and is boring in places with laughs few and far behind each other so worth a watch for the sake of it as you've seen bruce almighty but if not might as well pass!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

July 20, 2007
With such low ratings by the critics I expected little from this movie but discovered much. I rarely hear an audience of adults laughing out loud repeatedly during a movie -- Evan Almighty did this! How? With impressive computer graphic generated animal sight gags, with near perfect timing, especially by Wanda Sykes who played Rita, and by Morgan Freeman who has now officially replaced George Burns as God. You will laugh, you will cry, you will not be sorry you went to this movie unless . . . you have a bias against religion (as many critics do); you will resent this movie deeply as it dares to suggest there is a spiritual side of life -- so don't go and say negative things as it wasn't meant for you.
Luke B

September 30, 2008
A film that wreaks of desperation. With Steve Carrel having achieved critical and commercial success his secondary character from Bruce Almighty is now the main star. He can certainly hold a film on his own but here his comedic talents just don't show. Literally the entire cast phone it in with everyone thinking more about their pay than their role. All except Freeman who you can always count on to give his best. The most bizarre thing about the film is that it is the most expensive comedy of all time. Where they spent $175 Million is anyones guess as the CGI is shoddy and the big climax doesn't look that incredible. It isn't a regrettable watch but you wont be missing anything by skipping it.
Lady D

August 22, 2007
Not quite as humourous as Bruce Almighty, but Steve Carrell is certainly a funny guy. Some great shots graphically speaking. Good clean family fun.
DerekA101
DerekA101

August 10, 2008
This is no where near as good, nor funny, as Bruce Almighty. Evan Almighty, for a lack of better words, is crap. But you must of known that going into it. If you went into this film with high expectations, well frankly, you're an idiot.

Now that we have established that it is crap, we can settle down and appreciate it. When compared to similar lower end movies, this actually isn't too bad. It's lighthearted and fun, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a great family flick with some reassuring lessons.

Steve Carrell is funny... and you can't really blame him. In 2007 he was in the great film Little Miss Sunshine, so it's ok to go out and get a big paycheck in the same year for this fluffy piece of crap.

My only big complaint I would like to rant about is the casting. Lauren Graham is beautiful... but she looks about 28-30. Yet in this movie she was cast as a mother of 3 with the oldest being approx. 16y/o??? John Goodman as a senator??? Wanda Sykes and Jonah Hill in politics??? It's like I said earlier: at least they didn't take themselves too seriously.

This is not a movie I will ever watch again or recommend, but if you like animals or have kids and are looking for something fun to watch... give this a shot. It held my attention all the way to the cheesy end.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

December 20, 2006
What a very inconvenient sequel project of 'Bruce Almighty'... The first movie was hilarious, but this one just a big waste of money... The story itself just show that even the writer don't know what story he must write on... Taking the bible story about Noah and his ark was pretty good, but making a comedy of it just a little weird... Yet Steve Carrell doesn't really funny at all... The Ark thing was magnificent, I doubt they really build it... But the others just messed up... A not needed sequel...
deano
deano

January 31, 2007
Steve Carell's comedy-family is much hilarious as I remembered his title character from Bruce Almighty as a newsreader before becoming a congressman in this film. I couldn't stop laughing at Carell's acting when he was beginning to build an ark and took alot of accidents. OWWW! WHOA! HA!HA!